Relationship between FMS and taking statins for cholesterol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bochieme, Jul 25, 2003.

1. bochieme

bochieme New Member

Has anyone had the initiation of FMS symptoms after beginning to take Lipitor or other statin drugs for lowering cholesterol?
  2. nancyann14

nancyann14 New Member

Hi,
    Tried three of the statin drugs and had to quit all because of severe muscle pain. Trying a new drug and will report if it works. nancyann
  3. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

if statins were responsible for the start of my fibromyalgia but have tried two different types and both of them caused extreme muscle pain. The doc I had at the time said that it was all in my head and that I could take the statin drug or die!!

Don't go to that doc anymore and am happy to say that I am still around and kicking---although I can't kick as much as I used to!

Hope someone else can shed more light on this subject for you. Take care :) lynnkat
  4. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I was put on Cholestyramine to see if it helped my FM symptoms. It is used to lower cholestrol. This maybe something you could use for lowering your cholestrol and helping FM symptoms. I saw results after only two weeks.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Muscle pain and fatigue are the two most common side effecs of statins.
    There is actually ZERO proof that high cholesterol causes heart disease, if you remove studies that were 100% paid for by drug companies. If you don't believe me, do some research. You'll be amazed what you find. Dr. Joseph Mercola's website has a whole library of medical articles on this subject, for example.
    In fact, low cholesterol is associated with a 13% higher death rate from all causes, and high LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) actually protects old people from infections.
    If your HDL is too low, and your triglycerides are too high, and you have a fat stomach, then that is a real problem called Metabolic Syndrome, but if your doctor were up to date, he'd know that homocysteine, C-reactive protein, and the size of your LDL particles are far more important than cholesterol.
    Klutzo