Relationship to illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nygirl, Sep 11, 2003.

1. nygirl

nygirl New Member

Dear all,
    As I've had a recent flare up of CFS, my therapist and I have started talking about my relationship to illness. There's no quesiton that my physical symptoms are "real" and that I'm not "causing" them, but as I've been ill for so long we've been trying to talk about the meaning of illness for me. Mostly it's been a way to escape, to slow down, to shut down when I felt under pressure, criticized, etc. I wondered if anyone else has explored this for themselves...
    thanks,
    Emily
  2. Twain1973

Twain1973 New Member

It takes a lot of self-awareness to see one's relationship with illness. I think you have made a great point. I can see how I sometimes "use" my illness as an excuse not to have confidence in my abilities. It is much easier for me not to take risks because, afterall, I'm ill. I know that in this way I allow myself to be more insecure and to escape from things that challenge me.

Thanks!
    Amy
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sure, ya gotta think about it. Sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I became well and pray that I don't hold back for fear of "having to do" more.