Relaxation Techniques ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeniwren, Mar 27, 2003.

1. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

I find that these work for me more often than not and thought they may be of help to others..............

The idea is to tense each group of muscles from your toes up to your head and then relaxing them. I learnt it at Yoga about 25 yrs ago. You begin with your toes and then your entire feet and then the ankles and then the calves and then the knees etc, etc. You tense each group of muscles while trying not to tense any others and then you consciously allow them to relax before going onto the next group. I never get more than halfway up my body...I fall asleep.

Another one is to visualise a lovely serene green field, where the sun is shining on you, so that you're all nice and warm. There's a soft breeze swaying the long grass in which you're lying and birds softly singing away in the distance. While you're there start the body relaxation exercise. By the time I've got to here I'm asleep...or if I do this in the day to calm down I want to go to sleep!

An option is to substitute the field with a very calm and very blue ocean that is so bouyant that you're floating.

Good Luck
    Jeni
  2. Dayle

Dayle New Member

WHEN I HAVE WORRIES I OFTEN TRY TO THINK OF JUST HOLDING MY LITTLE GRANDCHILDREN & I CAN OFTEN DRIFT OFF TO SLEEP.
    LOL, DAY
  3. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

I am in the midst of a year-long yoga teacher training program. Part of the study includes the book "The Breathing Book" by Donna Farhi - I know it sounds a little silly to have an entire book about breathing, but it has some excellent relaxation techniques.

Also, I do alternate-nostril breathing when I am really tense from anxiety and/or pain. I'll try to explain how this goes. Use your thumb and ring finger on your right hand for the right/left nostril. Close the right nostril and inhale through the left nostril for a count of 5 (make sure to breath deeply from the belly). Next, close your left nostril with your ring finger, exhale to the count of 10 throught the right nostril, inhale to the count of 5 through the right nostril, close the right nostril, exhale to the count of 10 through the left nostril - then just repeat this process. I hope this makes sense.

Although it looks silly, it is incredibly relaxing after about 5 to 10 minutes. I will even do this in my car, but I have to admit not in the small town I live in. Good luck! Amy
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Jeni -- The first technique you describe is sometimes called "progressive relaxation" . . . this is great anytime, but is really helpful right before going to sleep at night . . . I think it really helps. Also, when I get really stressed about something, I have been meditating and it really works too . . . my goal now is to get much better at meditation and to do it everyday, not just when I'm really stressed . . . Thanks! Love, Terri
  5. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Thanks for the extra tips people. It seems to me that so many people brush relaxation techniques off as rubbish and never give it a go. It's such a pity because they do work. In fact they often work better than any darn pill!

Jeni
  6. kalina

kalina New Member

I was trying to relax on my own, but with the anxiety I was experiencing I had a very hard time keeping my mind on track.

I found a 3-CD set called "Healing Music Project" produced by The Relaxation Company (I believe they have a web site if anyone is interested in finding out more). The recordings are music and rhythms by "sound healers," music therapists, etc. that are supposed to be scientifically designed to heal. I have one of those portable CD players, and I put on one of the CDs, lay down on the bed with the CD player next to me, put the headphones on and listen while focusing on my breathing. It works great.

I ran across another good one when I went to see a presentation by Dr. Cheney sponsored by a local support group. He recommended a breathing technique practiced by Dr. Andrew Weill, and it's included on his CD called "8 Meditations for Optimum Health."

It's easier now to use relaxation techniques without listening to the CDs, but the music and guided meditations are so nice, that's what I usually do.

Kalina
  7. gracie97

gracie97 New Member

This old bunch of posts was too good not to bump.

As one person above says, these techniques can work better than any pill with no side effects. Give that FMS is at least partially credited to stress-related overwhelm of the adrenal and hypothalamus, this sort of self-treatment is very important.

I've sometimes reduced really bad pain to less than half using progressive relaxation followed by autogenic suggestions. Used both techniques briefly at work today and got some really bad pain down to the point that I could concentrate and function.

It's great to have such a resource, not have to rely on drugs all the time.

Great book on the topic that is probably in most libraries: The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook.

It has been in print for over 20 years and is in something like the 6th edition. And it presents many relaxation and stress reduction techniques in a very straight-forward, easy to use format.