Relefen?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinker-belle, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tinker-belle

tinker-belle New Member

Hi. My rheumy just prescribed me Relefen. Anyone have any experience with this medicine? Thanks a bunch!
  2. NANCEA

NANCEA New Member

I'VE BEEN ON RELEFEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS. I HAVEN'T HAD ANY NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS. I'VE BEEN ON ABOUT EVERY NSAID FOR RELIEF FROM R-ARTHRITIS. I HAVE IT IN EVERY JOINT AND SUFFER ALOT ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S GOING TO RAIN OR THE WEATHER IS COLD. THIS HAS WORKED BETTER FOR ME THAN ANY OTHER MEDS. I'VE BEEN ON. THIS WEB SIGHT IS A GOD SEND. SUCH A GOOD PLACE TO COME WHEN I NEED A LIFT.
    NANCY
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

and it didn't help me....but then I've taken about 8 different anti-inflams in the past 3 years, and none have helped me, so that's not a direct reflection on the Relafen. Hope you get good results with it.

Karen
  4. lilah

lilah New Member

Hi. I'm new to the messages board stuff but I always get left in the dust in the chat rooms, haven't been to these though. When I was first diagnosed I was taking relefin. It worked for a while then I had to move on to something else.But give it a chance. I liked it because it helped the pain and didn't make thinking harder than it was. I think I just built up an immunity to it. If you don't think its working for you tell your Dr. Good Luck
    Lilah
  5. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

When I was first DX with FM I was given relefen.
    it is an anti-inflamatory.

most common side effect is upset stomach. IF you have ANy gastrointestinal problems DO NOT TAKE IT!
    It has been known to cause bleeding ulcers.

it is wise to discuss any other ailments you have with your dr. before taking relefen.

Like many drugs, it works through the liver, so the dr. SHOULD take blood tests every 6 months or so (more often if you are over 40) to make sure you are not damaging yourliver.
    I don't drink so it was not much of an issue for me.
    If you drink less than one drink a week you should be fine.
    If you tend to have a daily drink, either don't drink or don't take relefen. and do NOT take it with tylenol...

tylenol is also associated with liver problems when used long term.

I stopped taking relfen a few years ago.
    I think it may have pleyed a part in my GERD. I'm not sure.

now I take ibuprophen instead. not tummy trouble and it is a good analgesic for MINOR pain.

I did not find relefen to be effective for pain.
    (chronic pain that is.)

now, if you twist your ankle or smash a thumb or something. it is good since it's an anti inflamatory.

I just second guess my drs. when they say FM has NO inflamation like arthritis does, yes they insist on giving anti inflamatory meds. it makes no sense.

I suggest you take the relefen for a month and see if you have any pain relief. just don't forget to EAT with it.
    or it will really tear up your stomach.. or at least it did mine.

Hope you are feeling well soon.
    Jbear