relief from insomnia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Aug 27, 2005.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

I am a 56 year old man just diagnosed with fibromyalgia.Have the usual joint and muscle pain and weakness etc. Worst prob. is the chronic insomnia. On low dose of Flexeril, 3mg. Lunesta for sleep, and 800mg. of Sam-e per day. Get 0 to 5 hrs. of sleep ea. nite. Can anyone tell of anything that has helped with sleep? Thank you, John
  2. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

Your pain levels should be low enough to relax--more meds maybe at night-time?

Hot baths always help, with some kind of sea salt (Batherapy lavender is my favorite).

AND Ambien, 10 mg.--coupled with .50mg of Xanax, if needed. (without these two, it's insomnia madness for me).

If that doesn't work--Chloral Hydrate is a sure kicker. Anytime, anywhere, it will knock me out for several hours.

Good luck
  3. shepsgirl

shepsgirl New Member

Hi John,

I too have chronic insomnia, I find that I need to stick to a night time routine to help me relax before bed.

I don't eat or drink an hour before bed. I don't have a set bed time, I just don't eat or drink before I take meds.

I take the meds and sit with my heating pad on my back, shoulders or wherever it hurts.

I take, zanaflex 4-8 mg, Cymbalta 30 mg, Lunesta 3-4 1/2 mg,and 1-2 tablets of Tylenol 3 w/codeine and amitriptilyne (if I'm cycling into insomnia)

I can usually get about 6-8 hours plus I take an afternoon nap of about 2-3 hours.

Hope this helps,
    shepsgirl
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was using Ambien and still waking up early. I started taking a small amount of Klonopin early in the evening, around 8:30 pm to begin a "winding down". I then take 5 mg of Ambien 30 minutes before bed.

I am sleeping so much better. If I wake up, I can go right back to sleep. It is wonderful.

I have the lowest dose pill of Klonopin .05 mg. and I only take 1/4 of the tablet. I am sensitive to meds and always take the lowest dose that will help me.

I can't tell you how happy I am to be over the terrible insomnia.
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

The Ambien/Klonopin combo was the best one for me for sleep. Ambien alone puts me out for a VERY short time, and I am totally sleepless after that. Klonopin alone also puts me out for short periods, but I can often go in-and-out of sleep. Ambien WITH klonopin (and yes, it can be a small dose) is pretty good. Almost feels normal.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble even getting a doctor to approve klonopin, and I know I'd be pushing it to ask for Ambien too. (I've moved to a new area where I've yet to find a doctor to understand CHRONIC insomnia).

Good luck JohnBee, insomnia is the most disabling aspect of this disorder for me also. I've yet to find anything to really restore me to refreshing sleep. Meds for sleep help keep me from hitting my head with a bat, but it's a rare day that I feel refreshed by sleep even with the Ambien/klonopin combo.
  6. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

is Trazodone and Cymbalta, both make me very sleepy, and I take 10 mgs of flexeril if I'm in a lot of pain.
    Sue