Religiously speaking...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 29, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

There's something my pastor said at during a service a few years ago that has never left my mind. He said "Sometimes people are struck with illness as a punishment from God".

Has anyone felt this is why they have FM/CFS?
  2. quanked

quanked Member

that an individual in a position of power would say something so cruel and untrue.

If there is a higher a being how could one trust in such a god like entity that randomly assigns diseases to only some?? Sounds like a crazy making dysfunctional family at its very worst to me.

If this were a true statement then I will begin making a long list of perpetrators of child sexual abuse who have never been punished by a god or the system. My next list will be filled with names of men who have beaten, terrorized and killed the souls of their partners and children who have never seen the inside of a jail cell. I would like to give these lists to this heavenly being.

I will not even go into the list of names of individuals who have caused our current economic woes.

I truly hope that you do not believe that you have these dd's because of something you have done in your past. I do not believe this. It is a mental trap to try to figure out why one develops these dd's, cancer or any other disease -- especially if one is young. The unforseen befalls all of us in some shape or form throughout our lives no matter who we are.
  3. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Back 50 years ago the Nuns use to say goofy things...

like if you have sex you will go blind....HaHa....

When my Mom was dying of cancer 40 years ago
    she wanted to put up with the pain some what
    because she thought thats what God wanted....

I think this illness is a Virus that is Not caused by God.....

But if your Pastor is from the old school then thats what he was taught....

Maybe You should check out another church....someone that will understand...compassion

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2010]
  4. rocky76

rocky76 Member

But maybe you should post this on the worship board on here...

I'm sure they would have some answers for you...
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I have not felt this way at all. My God is a God of compassion and grace. He would not punish his children with illness. It's his grace that helps me bear my illness each day. He sees me through and meets my needs. God loves his children.

Has your pastor ever had a serious illness? If and when he gets sick, he may change his ideas about this. Guilt is a horrible affliction. I hope your pastor will come to his senses and stop heaping guilt on the sick.

Warmest wishes,
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Shari, you need to find a new pastor. Illness is not a punishment from God.
  7. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

Please get a copy, (should have in your library) Toxic Faith by Steve Arterburn.
    This will explain/help better than I can.

Their non-denominational website is

Yes I have heard (1) punishment (2) lack of faith (3) hidden sins (4) lack of knowledge

Shari as a person of faith in Jesus Christ I have painfully come to realize I serve a God I cannot control, will not fully understand & yet He asks that I trust him anyway. We live on this side of Genesis 3. I have Lupus & MS. So it a daily, hard journey.

One person who explains suffering better than anyone I have read is Phillip Yancey. I so encourage you to get a copy of 'Dissappointment with God". It changed my life.

May I ask...Do YOU believe what this pastor said?

8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

God does not punish people with illness. God loves all of us as His children. He offered his own suffering and death for us, so that we may have the chance of eternal life.

Pastors or priests who are misguided are human and make mistakes too. Remember that a misguided pastor should not be your guide to God's truth....because he is preaching wrong information.

My decisions about my religion and faith are not based on what other people do or say....they are based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In the end, we all have to face God.

Illness is just part of human life. How we deal with it can show our depth of faith.

9. Juloo

Juloo Member

This is an excellent book, so I second that recommendation!

Another book you may be interested in is: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Christianity, & Culture: Between God and an Illness by James M. Rotholz, PhD., Haworth Medical Press, 2002, 141 pp.

You could order it through interlibrary loan or get a used copy online somewhere, probably.

The author is an anthropologist. Both he and his wife got CFIDS. He explores the cultural and skewed religious idea of 'success' and how this can be invalidating to people with a chronic illness.

It's worth a read.

As to your original question, no, I don't believe that.

The problem is, some people do -- unfortunately, some believe they can tell the difference between God's punishment and a 'regular' illness (probably based on whether they believe you or like you).

Even in churches that do not push faith=success/money, the idea is always out there. People just don't understand why I don't join the choir, take the nursery, cook for suppers, lead the youth, etc., etc. I understand that they are asking because they believe it would be a good fit, but those with health/energy sometimes have no experience to understand the lack of those things.[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2010]
  10. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Shari1677,

I'm so sorry that this has been in the back of your mind for so long. It can really make the guilt we already have much, much worse.

I went to church with my mom and grandma in SE Georgia 3 Mother's Days ago. The pastor actually said, "We cannot tolerate the Muslims or their religion!" He was very animated and adament. I got up and left before I embarrassed my mom and grandma.

I've personally been have the "religion" conversation with friends and family lately. I've come to understand that things don't happen for a reason. Things just happen. It's up to each of us individually to decide how to react. I try to make the best of it, learn anything I can from it and be better prepared if it happens agian. I think it is within ourselves, that we can find peace.

I was a very religious person until I was 21. I moved from a small town and began seeing the world from very different points of veiw. I respect everyone's right to believe in a religion. I just decided that for me, personally, my faith is now in me.

No, I don't feel I'm being punished. I feel lucky it's me that sick and not my sister (currenty pregnant) or my brother (Best Brother EVER).

(Thanks for the post. I needed to write this out for my own reasons!)

11. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I do believe God will allow us to go through challenges in life so that we may learn to trust and lean on him. I am a christian and before my illness I had without a doubt strayed and I look at my illness as a wakeup call from God that I need to be back in his will and I am without a doubt there again. I do not in anyway feel though I am being punished, I have been on my knees many times in the past few years due to my illness and my 32 year marriage is officially ending next Wednesday not by my choice and I am once again on my knees asking for strength to get through.

I have went from being bedridden for over two years to being able to function fairly normally and I give all the credit to God for listening all the times I was on my knees.

[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2010]