Relocation to Dallas area...HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Oct 22, 2005.

1. namow

namow New Member

I will be relocating to the Dallas area very soon and I would like to ask how the weather feels for people with this DD? I live in Florida now.

Are any doctors you recommend there? any input would be appreciated.

2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I have lived in Texas for 20 years - 15 in Houston and now 5 in Dallas. I like the weather here, but I don't have much else to compare it with so I'm probably not one to help you much.

We do have cold weather in January and February, but not severe. Maybe one or two ice storms roll through and the occasional snow flurries. Summer is hotter than heck with many days over 100 degrees. The humidity here, while nothing like Houston thank goodness, can be a factor.

Fall and spring are gorgeous, although sadly we don't witness true "changing of the seasons" like states further north. Our winters are very short and flowers will start blooming in March and usually continue through November. Today is beautiful, sunny and bright, with a high of 75.

Okay, this is not the Weather Channel so you probably weren't asking about that! How does this weather affect the DD? I can't answer that as this is the only place I've lived since finding out about the FMS, so again I have nothing to compare it to. I have noticed that I hurt more when the barometric pressure changes, although I don't pay much attention to all that so it may just be that my body hurts more when my sinuses are going nuts.

Doctors ... hmmm, that's more of a challenge. I am still searching myself! We do have a Fibro and Fatigue Center here so that may be something you want to try. I'm still skeptical about that myself, plus it's so darn expensive. The FFC offers a free informational seminar on the third Monday of each month if you want to check that out.

My gynecologist (who a very wonderful doctor - Dr. Douglas Smrekar - in case you need one!) highly recommended a neurologist in Richardson (northeast side of Dallas, that's where I live) who is very good with FM. He's been mentioned here on the board several times, and I believe some of the members here go to him. Here's his info:

John H. Harney, M.D.
    Neurology
    375 Municipal Drive, Suite 222
    Richardson, Texas 75080
    (972)783-8900

Coincidentally, I just called his office this week to make an appointment. I was very disappointed to learn that he is booked for new patients through the end of January!! I didn't make an appointment once I heard that, but I may call back next week and get something scheduled just in case I haven't found someone else by then. I have been in so much pain lately and I just HATE the thought of not getting in to see him for more than 3 months!

I recently found a website (maybe I heard about it on this board?) that lists doctors in the DFW area who specialize in treating FM, CFISD, Lymes, pain management, acupuncture, sleep disorders, etc. I haven't contacted anyone from this list yet but I plan to this next week. The website also lists support groups and meeting times in the DFW area. http://www.dfwcfids.org/index.shtml

Good luck! I know there are several people here on the board who live in this area so hopefully they'll be able to give you more help than I can. I wish you the best with your move ... take care of yourself and don't overdo it!!

Kat
  3. namow

namow New Member

Thank you so much for your answers I feel they are going to be very helpful to me. I will keep you posted. I am stressed out about moving to a new area were I haven't been in my life and not knowing anyone there. This is job related for my husband since my job is to take care of this DD 24/7

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!