Remember H.R. Puffnstuff?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Sep 1, 2007.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Does anybody remember that really odd show with the big yellow character,and Witchy-Poo, and that kid with some sort of talking whistle in his pocket? I don't remember very much about it but in the last week and a half I've had dreams about that yellow dude and the creepy whistle. I think its pretty funny but are there any junior psychoanalists out there who want to take a stab at it?:)

2. OpheliaP

OpheliaP New Member

...........i still watch the Banana Splits.

(head down, tugging at my skirt hem)

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was much too old by then to watch kid's stuff. My younger siblings might have watched it as they are 6 and 8 years younger...

Or maybe it was when my own kids were young...?

When was it on?

Give me a date so I can place when I knew about it...

Addled brain right now.

4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

You asked.... about 1969 or 1970, I think. My littlest sister loved it. Gag!

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My oldest son was born in 1969, so I was too old and he was too young...

Funny how a name catched on, though.

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

and the Banana Splits, I always loved the openings with the upbeat theme songs.

A few years ago a tv station we get replayed all of the HR Puff'n Stuff shows and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl over a weekend in a marathon. It was cool and my husband and his friend watched too. They had never seen these shows and they like kid shows.

I don't know what your dream would mean but to me it sounds like a fun one!

7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Maybe the child in you is wanting to slow down and have some fun like when you used to watch HRPufnStuff? Just a guess!

Take Care!
  8. painterZ

painterZ New Member

but I was born in '71 and I only remember chunks of HR Puf n'stuf. I guess they could have been re-runs but I'm not sure. Oh, and the Banana Splits had that wacky music video...didn't they slide down one of the enormous slides?? I had completely forgotten about Electra Woman and Dyna Girl...I LOVED that show. It drove my sister insane. Wasn't there a Doctor Shrinker too? I think maybe my dreams were telling me that I was hungry, 'cause Puf-N-Stuf does look like a Big Mac.

It's been fun remembering these goofy characters, thanks for your responses.

9. Callum

Callum New Member

... But I remember to musical episodes...

- One, with Witch-E-Poo singing

"Oranges, Poranges who says,
    Oranges, Poranges who says,
    Oranges, Poranges who says,
    There ain't no rhyme for oranges."

- the second, with Jack Wild singing "I am a mechanical boy"

Wasn't "Lidsville" with Charles Nelson Reilly a spin-off, with Butch Patrick from "The Munsters."

But my favorites were the Banana Splits filmed in Kings Island, Ohio, and The Shazam/Isis Super Hour.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2007]
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

twinofdar-That is hilarious!
    I didn't realize those were the lyrics.

You all helped me remember that Sigmund the Sea Monster was in that marathon along with all the others. It was very cool of them to run them all back to back like that and the timing was perfect because I was totally bedridden.

11. sunrisegirl

sunrisegirl New Member

Not sure about how to interpret the dream but I remember the shows. Didn't Sigmund and the Sea Monsters have the boy (Jody) from the older show "Family Affair"? HR Puff&Stuff reminds me of the later "Barney" character, both were oversized. Funny thinking about the old shows we used to watch. Hey what about those "Afterschool Specials", don't see any of those around anymore.
  12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Some of the movies I rent on Netflix remind me of Afterschool Specials.

13. pasara

pasara New Member

Can't help you with the analysis, but just had to say, this was one of my favorite shows as a child!