Remember my stomach pain complaints?? well.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    yea,.. I finally try to DO something about it, get to the bottom of it,... and my primary does'nt think theres a problem!!!!!
    these attacks of bad stomach pain(upper) can last 10 days,.. 10 days of hell that is. I went to my primary telling him I suspect a gallbladder problem or an ulcer.

He thinks its just worsening IBS. ??? (jack freakin a**!) He gave me a script for LEVSIN,.. ?? says its a good med for intestinal tract spasms. so the next I have an attack he says try the levsin and see if that helps.
    and he'll see how I'm doing in 6 weeks.

So,..some of you's were right on.
    Drs DON"T listen.
    I'll tell ya,... If this is worsening IBS then IBS can get pretty damn bad!!
    thankfully I'm not bad at the moment,.. but I think when my next attack hits,.. I may go to the ER.
    see if they think its IBS.
    thanks for hearing me out~
    :) hugs
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

go to ER.

I had 3 horrific gallbladder attacks (UK) docs came out, gave me pethedine injections.

When I eventually got my gallbladder op - one year down the road - the gallbladder was FUSED to my liver and it took them twice as long to perform the op - I was very lucky they didnt need to open me right up the surgeon said.

So don't put it off just in case.

3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I would definitely check about the gallbladder first, and also go to a gastroenterologist, and get a very thorough check. YOu also want to rule out things like colitis and Chrone's disease.

But if it is IBS, I would immediately get a good probiotic (I'm beginning to sound like I'm repeating myself). Get only the kind that has to be refrigerated (my doc says). Then get a good fiber supplement, preferably one with no preservatives. You can get Psyllium at the health food store. Try ruling out Celiac disease. You can either get a test, or stop all the glutens in your diet. There are many gluten substitutes. Try stopping dairy, as you may be allergic to it, or unable to digest Lactose. Here I go again, but eat lots of fruits and veggies--go partial vegetarian. Buy some flax and grind it up in your coffee grinder. Add 1 tbsp of ground flax to your smoothie. You don't have to do all of this at once; go one step at a time. But do go on the probiotic and the fiber right away.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

There is a possibility that it could be gall bladder or ulcer. I did have gallbladder problems myself.

However, I just wanted to write that IBS can get VERY bad. I am not saying that is what you have but I wanted you to know that IBS can cause some pretty horrible attacks. So there is a possibility of it being IBS.

So yes IBS can get pretty damn bad. I know from my own personal experience, my mom and one of my good friend's.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

and I'm acually glad to hear that others with IBS have had it real bad.
    Cause maybe thats all I'm dealing with and won't need a future surgery~ no-one wants that.

My bowels are erratic with these attacks. (is that the word I'm looking for??) I mean,..I can go from being constipated one hr, to severe diareah the next hr.
    The urge hits hard and fast leaving me little time to make it to the bathroom.

but then again,.. I've heard your bowels go wacky with gallbladder attacks too. ??
    a recent colonoscopy showed diverticula pouches.
    ( would that cause alot of pain??)
    I just don't know :(

take care all,
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

My hubby's grandmother has diverticulitis and gets bad pain from it at times and IBS type symptoms.

She keeps it under control with meds and also does not eat anything with small seeds in (like strawberries, raspberries etc) as they can get stuck in the "pouches" and cause irritation and inflammation.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs, Bunchy x
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I can tell you that I've had such horrific pain with IBS that I've been in the bathroom wondering if I should go to the Emergency room. The pain scared me. I've sat there wondering 'at what point' does one call 911.

Whether it's IBS or something else, you need to know. You'd hate to assume that it's IBS and have it be something else.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I remember with the gallbladder attacks that I was retching terribly as well.

9. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Hi tandy

I believe I replied to your older post on this topic.
    I had stomach pain so long (upper) and no one listened to me. The ER docs brushed it off as gastritis! Turns out that finally I had a doc agree to do an ultrasound and gallstones were found.

You NEED to rule this out. Period. You have symptoms so you have more than enough reason to have this done.

Interestingly enough, years after i had my gallbladder removed im starting to have very similar pain again, almost identical. I'm confused because I no longer have a gallbladder! Anyhow, my doc told me just today to try a medication for IBS just to see if it helps when i have this pain.(and i agree its a horrible pain). The pain can last to varying degrees for, like you said, 10 days easily.

Let us know how the Levsin works for you. Doesnt sound like intestinal tract spasms but at least its something to try. Good luck.

10. klcooper

klcooper New Member

I agree with the others, see a gastro Dr. to rule out other things.

If you have IBS, it can be horrible. I was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago, getting worse lately with stress. It is stress triggered, avoid dairy, chocolate, eat salad after the main course as been started(it's roughage), gum can fill you w/air - pain!!, try peppermint tea or fennel tea for pain, gas, inflammation, eat lots of rice/potatoes with meals to coat/neutralize the digestive tract. Try to use insolube fiber (acacia), less rough on the system. Do lots of research.

lastly go to - tons of info there.
  11. jess

jess New Member

Hi Tandy, I have multiple diverticula pouches. They can cause some discomfort but not usually severe pain unless you develop diverticulitis. I had surgery for this as I had 3 attacks in less then a year. Supposedly if you eat more fiber this can clear out or help prevent diverticulitis. I know they use cats claw for diverticulitis. I can't take this because of severe reactions to it. Most people have some pouches as they age but they are not usually a problem. Drink extra water and watch your diet. I hope you feel better, Jess
  12. jazzygirl9

jazzygirl9 New Member

Tandy, after reading your post my mouth fell open! after doing my own rsearch i am 99% sure i have cfs. Finding a dr. seems to be a problem...I started having upper middle stomach pains about 2 weeks ago. I thought I ate bad sushi! Does it hurt alot if you press the area? Does it wake you at night?? my husband(a pharmacist) says "Nexium" is very good. It did seem to help....Nanci p.s. I have heard it is a symptom of CFS....great...
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll reply more tomorrow on this.
    (sorry guys~)
    I've just got too much on my mind right now.
    My cat of 7 yrs is REALLY sick :(
    so my brain is all on him right now,..and I can't think straight.
    gonna research a bit on his symptoms right now.

for those that have pets,... i'm sure you understand.
    I need a vet. asap.
    Thanks for all your answers/help
  14. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Is he/she ok? Now I'm worried about your cat (and you by extension).
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

for your concern~
    what a sweetheart you are for asking :)

The only vet that will take emergencys over the weekends will not see my cat because he is not a patient there. !!
    if he had been seen there before,then yes.

The vet that I have taken him to in the past is only open mon-friday. I plan on walking in tomorrow.

I don't think its looking good tho.
    I posted about my cat on the chat board.
    (looking for help/suggestions there)
  16. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Oh my! Our stories are so similar I don't know what to do ... ;)

Sorry for your cat and your family! That sounds rough- I wish you the best of luck. HUGS.

I was told that it could me my old IBS acting up again too ... but it just doesn't "feel" like that is it ... I've had bad attacks of IBS before, worrying I was going to pass out from the pain and should call the ER ... but this feels COMPLETELY different- it's not lower, it's upper.

And I was prescribed the same drug (levsin) years ago, didn't do anything, then got bentyl for this last bout of pain and it didn't help me AT ALL. I woke up in the middle of the night and took a pill ... nothing.... so I took the vicodin later and was able to wait out the pain and fall back asleep. The doct later said "well, i didn't think that was going to help" Thanks. Why did I pay for it then?

I'm with you. I'm frustrated too. The pain is not there most of the time for me, it just comes in BAD attacks, and then I feel twinges and pressure after eating for days, but then that goes away too (until it comes back again, etc).

Maybe it is IBS ... but if it's WAY high (like right under your ribs, right under your ribs) it doesn't seem like IBS to me. Usually that is lower. To me, it sounds like what we are dealing with is something wrong with the gallbladder or the duct that connects the gallbladder to the intestine (biliary duct)... but not wrong enough that it is visible on scans (ie no gallstones, my drainage of my gallbladder is fine) ...

Perhaps it just spasms?? That is my hunch at least. Or esophageal spasm. I think it's a spasms because that's what it FEELS like.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2008]
  17. tandy

tandy New Member

Will post eventually on both my gut,.. and my cat.

18. ellikers

ellikers New Member

How ya doing tandy?
  19. tandy

tandy New Member

what a pure doll you are for asking~

Ok, or my cat??
    I'll quick respond to both ok.

My poor kitty passed a few days ago.
    He was extrememely ill. I'm of course mourning the loss alot at the moment. But things will get better~
    as for me. Still off and on stomach problems.
    I have it today tho not as severe as it can get at times.

I am going thru lots of tests. I just went for a abdominal/pelvic catscan this past tues.
    I have a cystoscope and a urodynamics test sceduled for next week. let the fun begin :)

I hate all this testing. and I've heard horror stories on the cystoscope so I'm kinda scared of that one.
    (in office)
    I'll post back when I know something more cause as I recall,... you have alot of my symptoms too. ??

How are you feeling lately?
    hope your doing better these days~
    yell back when you get a minute
  20. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Tandy,
    I was 20 yrs. old when I had my first gallbladder attack. For months I would go to the ER with terrible attacks only to be given a sedative and asked weather I was depressed.

Because I was just 20, and 20 yr. olds don't get gallbladder, no one would listen to me till a guy that worked with my DH suggested a surgeon who listened. I went and saw him and on first visit he told me , gee your symptoms sound like gallbladder and sent me for a barium x-ray. Sure enough I had a gallbladder chuck full of stones.

Hope you find someone to listen to you!