Remember when the planes used to spray for mosquitoes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolsgirl, Oct 15, 2002.

1. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I know that I'm aging myself, but I'm 49. When I was a child the airplanes used to come down really low, almost rooftop when we were kids and spray for mosquitoes in the field behind our house, which was the length of our street! That spray contained DDT which is VERY dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the route of my FMS/CFS. Anybody else ever look into this? dolsgirl
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I know that I'm aging myself, but I'm 49. When I was a child the airplanes used to come down really low, almost rooftop when we were kids and spray for mosquitoes in the field behind our house, which was the length of our street! That spray contained DDT which is VERY dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the route of my FMS/CFS. Anybody else ever look into this? dolsgirl
  3. fishfoto

fishfoto New Member

WOW-This has jogged my memory and really started me thinking. I am 47--I spent all my childhood summers at the shore. I remember the "bug man"--a truck or jeep that had a sprayer on the back. He came at dawn and dusk-the house would be in a fog it was such a dense spray. I have always figured that years of working in a darkroom w/ photo chemicals triggered my problems. Now this makes me curious. Even before I was a photographer I had bad headaches and reactions to perfume, cigarette smoke and other smells.
    Now--I live on the marsh in SC and they are aerial spraying for mosquitos big time because of West Nile. I'm going to look into this more.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here in SW Florida, the use old DC 8's and swoop down over the rooftops and spray. The spray used in my county has been banned everywhere else. I'm sure it isn't healthy.

Love, Mikie
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Maybe it is the scare of western nile virus this summer, but we were vaccationing at Hilton Head (I love it there) SC, in August and early, early in the morning a big white truck rolled up to every puddle and poofed out a fine spray of something. I myself get eatin alive by mosquitoes and I was relieved to see them take such action. I must be super-sweet to "skeeters". I can't even walk out on my porch (or anywhere during summertime) without bug spray on. If I do within about 2 minutes I have gotten 5 or 6 skeeter bites.
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I spent 5 years during my childhood living across the street from the city of Lakewood, Ca.'s garbage dump, and behind it is the flood control and a Bambo field. We use to play there in the bambo field playing hide and seek.

There was also a Riding Stable about a mile down the flood control, which at the time was dirt, now it's paved with concret and there's jogging lanes on the top for folks to run or walk.

Well in the late 50's they would spray for mosquitos, during the summer time mostly. Lot's of times we were outside in front of our house's play Blindmans Bluff, and you could smell the chemicals. It use to give me Headaces, and make my nose run, so I would quit playing and go in.

Now there's a City of Lakewood faciality that's all paved in, right over the garabge dump, and they have expanded the Housing tract that include's new house's over the whole bambo filed and garbage dump , next to the City's area.

I often go by there, I want to get in touch with others that may still live in the area. I want to see if others are sick, if they have Major health problems, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was.

Interesting thought and very scary.

kredca4
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have been looking into various toxins lately, Dolsgirl. I too, remember playing outdoors when the neighborhood came under seige by fogging trucks, spraying chemicals for mosquitos. You and I are of the same age, and the insecticides they used at that time were very harmful! I also grew up in the hometown of the 2nd largest chemical company in the US. This company was the one that manufactured Napom, Agent Orange, Dursban, Vinyl Chlorides, and is the largest Dioxin polluter in that State. The ground, ground water, and air was thick with pollutants, toxins, and emissions, when I was a kid. When I grew up the Chemical Companies regulated themselves....scary! Recent data, exposed, has shown many cover ups throughout the years.
    Karen
  8. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Hi there - I love these little icons. Here in SE Florida they still bring the trucks around because of West Nile Virus. I wonder which is worse overall?? I am always mentally chattering about the origins of my health issues. We used to live in an agricultural valley in California and that was where my problems, I think, really started. I know that when we moved there that's when I began to become non-functioning and severely sick all the time. They would fly by in helicopters with the poisons. They are doing a study there on the relationships to children and asthma, and my allergy NP admitted that there has not been enough study on molds (lots of them in agri areas) and ill health since I was in her office crying hysterically one day and the allergy shots seemd to make me worse. Fortunately she knew me and took time with me...So much for anonymity, the more I post here, the easier someone could know who I am, and that bothers me for some reason. I still hope there will be more study on many things; the recent links found to endometriosis and FM, CFS and other autoimmunes really encouraged me...Take care!! Bon
  9. Ponygirl

Ponygirl New Member

Hey you know what?? I am remembering when they would spray INSIDE the cabin of an airplane. 1970 first trip to Honolulu on United. They sprayed the plane before landing here back in Seattle. So move forward to 1977 the year I became a stewardess. We sprayed the planes before landing back in the states from Mexico.You can bet that they chemicals were very toxic. Thank goodness they stopped that years ago,but I couldnt tell you when or why. Just a thought. Thanks for bringing that up? Anyone else remember a chemical exposure?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2002]
  10. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

As far as I know my community still sprays, in the early morning hours usually when its rained alot and there might be stagnant water lying around. I have also wondered about all the chemicals that chem-lawn services use. When my
    husband and I fell ill, almost every neighbor on our block , this was mid-80's were using lawn service. It would make me so irate, because they did'n't even put out those little flags out to warn people to stay off the grass.
    The woman behind our lot, who had same age children as I mine were (5, 3 12 mos.) would keep her kids inside before it was safe and never tell us, letting my kids run all over her yard after it was sprayed. I have heard others convinced their CFS started from these chemicals.
  11. lindasue

lindasue New Member

When I was a kid.....many years ago. Back in the mid 50's I lived with my grandparents out in the country in North Carolina and in the summer the bug sprayer truck used to come down our road and spray for mosquitoes. At least once a week....Well we kids in the neighborhood would love to run behind the truck in the cloud of spray....There was also something we loved in the way the spray smelled!!
    Can you believe that.....We did it every summer for years!!
    I have since moved to California and have no idea where any of these kids are.....it would be interesting to find out if they too have this DD......Could be one of the links!
    Love and Hugs,
    Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]