Reminder about CoQ10

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IanH, Sep 13, 2012.

1. IanH

IanH Active Member

This is just a reminder about the great importance of taking CoQ10. It is the most significantly depleted mitochondrial factor in ME and the degree of depletion is directly related to the degree of severity of the disease. It is also the factor which relates ME to the greater cardiovascular risk. For example people with ME are more likely to get cardiovascular damage than nonME, possibly preceding the incidence by 25 years. In addition people with ME should never be put on statins if any cardiovascular risk is indicated because statins significantly reduce CoQ10 levels.

CoQ10 can be tolerated up to 1200 mg daily but a useful dose is around 600mg daily.

For more information read the following:

or the full paper:
    Coenzyme Q10 deficiency in myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is related to fatigue, autonomic and neurocognitive symptoms and is another risk factor explaining the early mortality in ME/CFS due to cardiovascular disorder, Michael Maes et al.
    Neuroendocrinology Letters Volume 30 No. 4 2009
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Always appreciate the reminders. We can't afford to be low in the vital factors which we need just to function.

Love, Mikie
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Ian,

Here is a Prohealth link describing the newer form of CoQ10 called Ubiquinol which makes the benefits of CoQ10 more readily available to our bodies.
  4. Thanks so much, Ian, for this helpful info! I've only been taking 100mg twice a day. Do they make the Ubiquinol in 300 mg capsules? I haven't seen it in that dosage. I would hate to have to take 6 of these gelcaps. Thanks again!

5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

In the study in the link that I posted above, it says that it would only take 150 mg of Ubiquinol to equal 1200 mg of standard CoQ10 (Ubiquinone).

It says it would take 8 times as much standard CoQ10 to equal blood plasma levels of Ubiquinol.

I take 100mg of Ubiquinol daily. I get mine from the Prohealth store. They also make 50 mg and 200 mg Ubiquinol caps.

The Prohealth store has free shipping now through Oct 8, 2012.
    RadioFM likes this.
  6. keke466

keke466 New Member

I tried this 2 different times and it made my stomach hurt. I wanted to take it but IDK what it is that makes my stomach hurt.I took it with food,as I take almost everything with food.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

About one percent of people taking CoQ10 develop mild gastrointestinal discomfort, (September 2005 issue of "American Family Physician)

If it occurs for long after eating with a meal then you may have an allergy to CoQ10. Another similar feeling symptom is angina pectoris but much more rare. There is no difference in the incidence of gastric upset or angina pectoris between ubiquinol and ubiquinone.

If this type of pain persists then you should probably not take CoQ10 but of course you could ask your doctor. My daughter is like you, she tried several preparations of both ubiquinone (oxidised CoQ10) and ubiquinol (reduced CoQ10). What she found was that if she reduced the dose to a quarter the amount and took it four times a day she was OK with it. (She opened the 100mg capsule and divided it into four doses) After three months she managed to do the same with a 200mg capsule. CoQ10 has no taste so you don't need to take it in the capsule, unless it is enteric coated or a slow release form.

In this regard you may be better trying ubiquinol first as it is taken in a smaller dose. However ubiquinol is rapidly oxidised to ubiquinone in the air so you would need to find a very small dose capsule such as 20mg.

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2012]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When posts are removed, an e-mail is sent to the e-address, given at the time of registration, explaining why the post was removed. Have you changed your e-mail address? If so, please contact ProHealth with an e-address where you can be contacted.

Love, Mikie
  9. I took it for awhile , about a yr.) but it got so I could not afford it and didn't notice any difference. Maybe you don't ?
  10. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

a 20mg version of ubiquinol? I tried 50mg like a year and a half ago and at first I started to feel good, but then I felt too wired and hyper but in a sick sort of way. I am wondering if that happening shows that I have mitochondrial problems because it got things started but it went too far. A much lower dose would be nice but I am unaware of lower than 50mg doses.

Trying to take some of the liquid out of the cap would probably not be good since it would oxidize too quickly and that would defeat the purpose of purchasing the reduced form. If anyone knows of lower doses, please let me know.
  11. IanH

IanH Active Member

Thank you Mikie.
    I apologise for the reference in the post, it was an oversight.
    However I still believe there is a bias operating here. While there was a reference to a branded product the whole post should not have been removed.

I have witnessed many such inclusions in posts on this site but the branded reference was blanked out or the offending sentence removed and the post was not removed. And that is fair enough! In the case of my post all you needed to do was blank out the reference to the product or the offending sentence. This would not have changed the intent or value of the post. As it stands you are denying people interested in COQ10 some relevant and useful information, particularly those on limited budgets.

You should re-publish my post with the reference blanked out as you have done for others.
  12. IanH

IanH Active Member

Thanks Mikie
    I tried several times to change my email address but always got the following

There may have been a problem processing some of the information on the previous page or you have found an issue that we have not accounted for.
    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will attempt to resolve this issue in the near future.
    If you were attempting to place an order, call or send us an email and we will assist you as soon as possible.
    Call toll-free 800-366-6056 ยท Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Pacific Time International Callers dial 001.805.564.3064

To email us click contact to resolve this issue or go back to the previous page and ensure all your information is being provided accurately prior to re-submitting.

I gave up in the end.
    However I will try again.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Send an e-mail to using your new e-address and ask them to change it for you. You may have hit them at a time when they were working on the board, as they have done lately. I'm sorry you have not been able to get your new e-address on record. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I found that I can take only 30mg of CoQ10 or it makes me hyper. Is this unusual? I take Red Yeast Rice for high cholesterol and that supplement, while a good one, depletes a body's CoQ10 but doesn't cause pain like a statin drug.

15. IanH

IanH Active Member

On Sep, 20, 2012: The FDA reported the following: 1,040 people reported to have side effects when taking Coq10. Among them, 6 people (0.58%) have Psychomotor Hyperactivity. All were female and 60+ years.

Is it a serious side effect? Probably not but can be uncomfortable. It could subside after about 6 weeks. If it continued beyond that it would be best not to take it or as you have done lower the dose.

Some medications can be interacting with the CoQ10, mainly clonazapam (Klonopin). If you are taking klonopin then you would need to discuss with your doctor about reducing the klonopin or maintaining a lower dose of COQ10.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2012]
  16. simpsons

simpsons Member

hi ian

i had such terrible chest pains when i was first ill with ME very frightening

dr myhill said it was good to take magnesium with the q10. but i can't recall which type of magnesium i needed.

i used to take a lot of supps but take less now

thats interesting the interaction with klonopin are there any herbs that q10 interacts with?

the first bout of me that i had was very hard on the heart lots of chest pains, i took heaps of cod liver oil a massive dose. it really helped. wish someone had told me about relapsing remitting. though it seems to be more set in as an illness now. progressive

so is there a different treatment plan for newly dx compared to longer term patients in your protocol and q10 please?
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks, Ian, for your info. That must be what's going on with me - and it. Very interesting. I have had other instances of hyperness with no apparent cause. I'll have to pay more attention to what I've taken. Habits are easy to ignore.

simpsons, I'm sorry but I can't answer your questions. Maybe Ian or someone else can help.

18. IanH

IanH Active Member

I think it is critical for everyone with ME and FM to take magnesium. The illness itself causes a significant loss of magnesium from the body.
    I have found magnesium citrate to be the best for me but I think any chelated salt would be fine:
    Magnesium succinate
    Magnesium glycinate
    Magnesium threonate (which has the lowest laxative effect and possibly the highest absorption and neural utilization)
    You can get some preparations with a mixture.

Re: newly diagnosed vs established disease:
    The children (between 5years and 12 years) I know of with ME are generally put on :
    magnesium 150mg daily
    vitamin D (2000 Iu daily)
    children's multivite (with low vitamin A)
    Probiotics and bovine colostrum for diarrhea and anorexia

Generally adults who are newly diagnosed usually have had the illness for a lot longer than it appears, so I would say there would be no difference it the general "energy protocol" CoQ10 is safe so I think the dose should be at least 100mg three times daily if it can be tolerated. Why people have problems with CoQ10 other than gastric discomfort I am not sure - I don't think anyone is.

19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For all your help for our members. We appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  20. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thank you Ian for that information on CoQ10 and Ubinquinol. I, myself take Ubiquinol because I thought it would be better utilized by my body. I will have to do some more reading on the latest studies between the two forms. At any rate, the advice to make sure patients take one or the other is very valuable advice. I can feel a difference for about 2 hours after I take my dose. Even after taking it for a few years, I can feel the effect. This is unusual for me.