"Remission" during pregnancy? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maxine_CR, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

My husband has been having some interesting discussions with a biotech company that has isolated the protein that women "create" when pregnant to keep their own bodies from attacking the fetus. They have expressed interest in pursuing studies in how this protein might help us.

I know that many women with MS tend to go into remission when they are pregnant.... so following the thought pattern of CFIDS and/or FM being autoimmune in nature, I am very interested to know whether anyone here has any personal info regarding this.

Please do let me know -- anecdotal or not, any insight is greatly appreciated.

hugs to all,

-m-
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I certainly didn't go into remission when I was pregnant. If anything, I was worse off.
  3. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

started before my first pregnancy - how many years it is hard to say for sure. I just felt wonderful being pregnant, of course this was a high point emotionally as well. Yes, I do feel that in both of my pregnancies I did go into a sort of remission. I absolutely loved being pregnant. After both deliveries my health did change noticibly and the doctors chalked it up to the fact that I had a baby and that I was nursing. Of course, now about 9 years later I realize that it was my FM/CFS.

Blessings,
    Truth
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Did a lot of voluntary work years back so got loads of enquiries and feedback at that time on this topic.

Many women with CFS found they felt better during pregnancy, fewer found it made them worse.

Cheers

Tansy
  5. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

My fifth pregnancy was when I became very ill, but during my sixth I went into what I would call remission. Stayed that way throughout two more years of nursing too.
    I was basically a normal person.
    Madelyn
  6. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

And asking for more responses!

Reports on any other experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, ladies, for your responses.

-m-
  7. Bacci

Bacci New Member

I posted a similar message a few days ago since I am trying to make a decision about having kids in the future. I seem to hear that many people feel some relief during pregnancy but I would really like to know how people felt after the pregnancy (like for the next several years...). My cousin has CFIDS and she had three kids. She said her CFIDS went into remission during pregnancy, then came back to a lesser degree after their birth. Now, her CFIDS is mostly gone--her youngest child is three. Did anyone else have similar experiences or did your CFIDS get worse?

Tansy I would love to hear how you found all this research on the subject!

Thanks
    Maria
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

I got this information through having been actively involved in patient/campaigning organisations for many years.

This was one topic that came up regularly and according to the information I had access to at that time many people with CFS did feel better during pregnancy. It wasn't the case for all though since a minority had more problems.

One thing that did come up though, which anyone considering pregnancy needs to consider, is that quite a few of those who improved found themselves feeling worse after giving birth. Also those with CFS found the labour very exhausting.

I think research into the protein produced during pregnancy would be very interesting, it's sounds as though it could lead to a potentially useful treatment.

cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  9. Bacci

Bacci New Member

Thanks for the info! I will keep listening to all the experienced mothers out there to see what it has been like for them. It is a very serious decision to make and I don't want to make it selfishly. Although it sounds nice to have a little reprieve during pregnancy (though not a guarantee), I still worry about the aftermath. Oh well, no decisions need to be made anytime soon:)

Thanks again,
    Bacci
  10. kurczr00

kurczr00 New Member

I can definately vouch for this one! I was diagnosed between my two pregnancies and was going through a pretty bad flare-up when I realized I may be pregnant. When I discussed my fibro and pregnancy with my rheumatologist - he had mentioned that I may start feeling better as he was aware of a few other fibro patients that experiences a 'remission'. Low and behold - I felt great all through my pregnancy. However, the down side is that I had a MAJOR flare-up within 2 months of having the baby and have felt really bad ever since - almost two years now!
  11. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi

I've never been pregnant and had no discernible problems other than irritable bowel until about 5 years ago when I started going into peri-menopause (I'm 46 now). Periods became very erratic; blood tests would reveal I was menopausal, then the next lot would say I was 'normal' again. This went on for about 3 years then I started to get muscle problems and now have FMS.

Sandra Cabot's website describes how low levels of steroid hormones can be a cause of FMS and has found lots of success treating women with tailor-made combinations of oestrogen, progesterone, pregnenolone, testosterone, DHEA using bio-identical troches and creams (made by compunding pharmacies), based on tests that show how deficient a woman is in these hormones.

My suspicion is my FMS is hormonal in origin and am being treated with oestrogen/progesterone troches - have only been on them for 3 weeks, but it lifted my depression in about 2 days. My oestrogen and progesterone tests revealed no measurable amounts of these hormones, they were so low. Am returning to the doctor on Friday for results of testosterone, DHEA etc. so she may well adjust my treatment. She uses Dr Cabot's protocol. My muscles are a bit better but it's too early to tell yet. Been told it could take at least 3 months to see benefits.

It all ties in with your theory on remission occurring when pregnant though, as the body is infused with hormones during that time. Also why is it that women are the predominant group who get FMS? Sandra Cabot postulates several other reasons why FMS can develop but hormones seem relevant to my experience.

If you type in weight control doctor, you should find her site listed.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Regars
    Gill
  12. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i was very sick with my first pregnancy,second one was excellent,third i had alot of ibs.the pregnacy is one thing but the sleepless nights after the birth is another story.thats when it's hard to cope i think.
    cara-sue