removal of amalgam fillings: mercury factor in CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. isee

    isee New Member

    Hello everyone,

    I'm new here, and have appreciated everyone's posts.

    I seeking others' experiences regarding removing and replacing amalgam fillings.

    I'm considering this because so many of my symptoms - brain fog, numbness in fingers and toes, cold feet(regardless of the weather),etc. seem to correspond specifically to mercury poisoning.

    I started having these symptoms after I had these fillings put in, when I was nine years old. My memory began to decline shortly after my first filling. I'm now 51, and I've had four recurring "bouts" of CFIDS' classic symptoms, lasting a year, for 20 years. In 1984, I had the acute onset of the CFIDS' symptoms, following a severe flu-like illness.

    But the memory and concentration impairment began - I now think - shortly after I had fillings put in, and got worse when they put metal braces on my teeth.

    I'm about to do an ETDA challenge and chelation to test for mercury and other heavy metals in my system. So, I'll do these before I decide whether to replace my fillings.

    Also, I'm allergic to all metallic jewelry: gold, silver, copper, brass, and so forth. I immediately break into an red, itching rash. I believe this is further proof that I'm severely allergic to all kinds of metals, including mercury.

    I've read testimonials from people who both felt better and worse after removing these fillings.

    I'd like to hear what your experience has been with mercury removal, and the dental processes used that either helped or, made you feel better, or even worse.

    Your responses would be most welcome.

    Thank you.

    Anna
  2. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I had my fillings removed and felt no better and felt no worse. I am glad I did it, though, as I think it's madness to have one of the most toxic elements on earth in one's mouth.

    There have, to my and my dentist's knowledge, been no controlled longitudinal studies on the effect of mercury fillings on health.

    Love, Mikie
  3. nct

    nct New Member

    ...the candida boards I'm on. Most folks on there who have done it are glad they did. Many candida sufferers truly believe the mercury poisons their systems and makes them more susceptible to other junkout there.

    But I really don't know a percentage of how many have gone to those lengths-it is pretty radical.

    Good luck.

    Nancy
  4. sb439

    sb439 New Member

    be careful with the challenge / chelation test. If you are badly mercury poisoned, it can move lots of mercury from your organs (including brain) and let it circulate in your body, which can make you feel *very* bad for a *long* time, especially if you're sensitive to mercury. (This happened to me when I did a DSMA challenge test, and I'm not even very mercury toxic, just some.)
    Susanne
  5. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    and my brain fog is worse than ever. I feel so mentally challenged. Next week will be the third quadrant and have not started chelation yet. I am taking natural detoxifying herbs and supplements though. I’m not sure if it’s the mercury or the detox that is causing the ‘increased’ brain fog.

    I would recommend the Clifford Compatibility test to see which dental materials will be best tolerated by your body.

    I don’t know if I’ll feel better when it’s all over, but like Mikie said I’ll have one less toxic element in my body.

    I did not do the EDTA challenge test because I am already in a very fragile condition and had heard it could make things much worse. I opted for a heavy metal test of a 24 hour urine collection without a chelating agent.

    Good luck with your health Anna.

    Love,
    Sharon
  6. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Accumulates in the body. Unless it is removed with chelation, removing the fillings will probably not produce an improvement in how one feels if there is already significant mercury buildup. It will stop it from getting worse if other sources of mercury are avoided. Having the fillings removed can make things worse unless the dentist is knowledgeable in isolating the area and taking steps to keep the stuff contained. This can also be dangerous to the dentist and his or her assistants.

    I'm not a big fan of chelation unless there is a high level of toxic material in the system. There are a lot of carpetbaggers out there doing chelation and promising the world. I would be careful of the doc I let perform the chelation too.

    Love, Mikie
  7. isee

    isee New Member

    Thanks so much for your responses.

    You all pretty much confirmed my suspicions -- that the chelation, amalgam removal, etc., can produce mixed reactions.

    Given my sensitivity to everything metal, I'm still worried about the ETDA challenge, especially when I consider than the chelation might just move it (into my bloodstream), rather than get rid of it.

    The naturopath's nurse does the chelation. I may ask for a
    RBC panel (a test that shows the presence, but not levels, of metals in your body), then do the chelation. It that is possible.

    Like everything else with this illness, my head is just swimming with the possible decisions I could make with regard to remedies.

    However, at this point, I'm willing to try more radical treatments. And, my intuition tells me that I'm just brimming to the gills with mercury poison.

    I guess I've just reached the outer reaches of my desperation.

    Thanks again.

    Anna