Removing Posts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I have had this happen to me a number of times, and I'd like to bring it up to perhaps decrease the chance that it will happen again.

1. Someone starts a thread about a topic on the board.

2. I respond with comments. Sometimes these comments take me quite a long time to write.

3. Other people respond to my comments. An interesting discussion takes place.

4. I try to go back to the thread to check to see if anyone has written anything new. The thread is gone, since the person who started it has hit "Delete" on his/her first post.

5. Someone else brings up a topic similar to the one about which I wrote on the deleted thread. I would like to share my thoughts, but the idea of taking another 30 minutes of my life to re-write what has been deleted seems a bit much.

I would like to encourage people who start threads to be careful in deleting them.

If it seems that there is information in the thread that might be useful to people (rather than just to yourself), perhaps you can find a less extreme measure in order to remove the information that concerns you from the board.

For example, you could just take out the _content_ of the first post (perhaps just substituting "Bump"). This would keep the thread intact.

You then could delete all of your _other_ posts in the thread, of course.

Obviously, there are some cases where people feel the need to delete information they've written for one reason or another.

However, if this can be done in a way that permits others to retain access to material that they and others have previously written, that would be very nice.

Hopefully those people reading this will keep this request in mind if in the future they are considering deleting whole threads that contain varied information that might be of general use.

Best, Lisa

P.S. I do try to make copies of my longer posts for myself, but unfortunately I sometimes forget.

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2007]
  2. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Lisa
    I did this twice & realised what happens - I think!

If you type in the post then decide you need to edit it before posting it, it deletes it (although you have hit the edit box & not the delete box)

You have to post it first then go back to it and then you can edit it.

I think that makes sense but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me as I definitely hit the edit & not delete!

So I presume if it's your orginal thread it deletes the whole thread & not just the post.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

As I said, this has happened to me many times during my time on the board. It's absolutely not just related to your thread.

The fact that whole threads disappear when first posts are deleted is a little quirk of the board that most people don't know about. That's why I thought I would bring it up.

I don't know why people would be writing irritated comments about you anywhere on the board. Your sharing your experiences has been extremely useful to many of us, and so people had no right to make you feel like you had done anything wrong.

I'm glad that you have contributed to the board and hope that you will continue to do so at least occasionally. I really, really would like to know your progress.

In response to your previous question, I think that the more information we can share about our experiences and ideas, the better off we are. There is precious little information about CFS info available anywhere, and most doctors don't know enough to help us very uch.

I don't consider what people say on the board as "advice" no matter how it's phrased. I consider it "food for thought."

If I decide that something I find out (wherever it's from) is worth bringing up to one of my doctors, I try to do it in a way that will provoke a positive response from him/her.

Usually I put a lot of thought into whether and how to bring things up in advance of my appointments. Getting along with people and working toward a beneficial outcome takes effort. Doctors are no different from anyone else in this regard.

Again, I hope you continue to contribute to the board, and sincerely apologize if anyone here made you feel bad about anything you've said or done.

Best, Lisa

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think those of us who try to contribute to the general info here have all had this happen. It's a shame to lose valuable opinions, info, and experiences.

There is another situation where valuable info is lost. This happens when people start arguements or attack someone for what he or she posted. The original poster will often get so upset that he or she removes the thread and all the good info is lost. Sometimes the moderators will remove a thread if it turns into a fight.

I would also ask that people who respond in threads do it in a non-personal, non-attack manner. Sometimes, the attacker has completely misunderstood the info or intent of the other post or posts. This is easy to do when we are sick and fatigued and all we have to go on is the written word. That is why it is so important to use respect and give the benefit of the doubt to others who post. We need our energy to fight our illnesses and not each other.

Love, Mikie