removing ticks (I have not tried it)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jun 16, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

Hi everyone...........thought I would forward this note. I received this from a friend. Don't know if it works or not, but it is worth a try if you or any
    family member ever gets a tick on them. Have a great day everyone.....enjoy the sunshine.

Tick Removal

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great , because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.

Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and in KY, that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.

I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"
    (I thought it was worth passing on, but have not tried it.)

Blessings.........Susan
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Good thanks. Anne C
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Wow! That's great to know. I used to do it the "old fashion way" when I lived in the Sierra. Sounds so simple, painless and effective. Is it possible to keep the tick an do an Autopsy on it for poss. Lyme?? Maybe someone on this Forum will know. Have a great weekend!

MRDAD

4. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Thanks for the advise.

I spend most of my days with my horses. This year it has been pretty bad with ticks, I believe because of the warmer winter we had. I will try this method on myself and family. Family includes my horse (lol). The ticks are every where in the stable. I wonder how it will work on animals I will keep you posted. Thanks for this post.
    Blessings,
    Michelle
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Good to know thanks. I have a great little gizmo for removing ticks. It is called TICKED OFF ! It is like a tiny measuring spoon with a tiny wedge cut out of the scoop. You just scoop the tick into the wedged out scoop, and pry back, and he comes right out. I bought it at my VET for $4.99 and I have since seen it at WalMart for $1.99. Well worth $1.99 and even the $4.99.
  6. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

My dad uses Absorbine Jr. to get ticks off his dogs and himself. This is the green liquid stuff that smells nasty, it is for muscle aches I think.

I haven't ever tried it myself (been lucky), but all he does is really soak the tick with the stuff and it falls off after a little while.

Just another thought for the conversation.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

if any of us kids go a tic my DaD used to lite a match and then blow out the flame and hold the hot match head on the tic and they would back right out!! ...............................come to think of it my oldest girl got one behinde her ear one day and thats how we got it out!!............................................Nice to learn other ways of removing them nasty little buggers!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2006]
  8. sisland

sisland New Member