Renaming CFS Soon??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by layinglow, Apr 8, 2003.

1. layinglow

layinglow New Member

However, CFS might not be the official designation for this illness much longer.

A group of scientists and patients has been working for the past two years to come up with a new name and expects to present it to the federal government's CFS Advisory Committee in the next few months. With committee approval, it would go on to the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tommy Thompson, who can make it official, Jason says.

The new name -- neuroendocrineimmune dysfunction syndrome, or NDS -- better represents the illness, Jason says.

"The term is broad enough to encompass the most commonly reported symptoms [which] are associated with or referable to the neurologic, neuroendocrine and immunologic systems," states a paper prepared by the group proposing the name change.

Continued use of the term "syndrome" recognizes that it's a "collection of signs and symptoms that in their totality define this illness," the group says.

And, the group adds, that also should help NDS to gain acceptance by the medical community.

2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

it would be nice if they'd call it something I could pronounce!!!!!! It's bad enough to be called what it is now - sounds like a lazy thing - but to have it called something like neuroendocrineimmune dysfunction syndrome might really give us a "bad name."

Whatever
    Pam
  3. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I hear that, I tried to repeat the story to my husband, and couldnt remember the name. But it sure beats "The Too Sleepy Syndrome"! Every time I tell someone I have Chronic Fatigue, they say, "yeah I am tired all the time too, it's the fast paced world we live in". If they only knew....

Guess I could wear a dog tag around my neck to remember it :)

LL
  4. lea

lea Member

I was under the impression that it would have been best to name this illness with the word disease, and not a syndrome (group of symptoms). But certainly, this new name is better than CFS.
    Lea