Repaying your LTD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SaraD, Dec 2, 2002.

1. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Just curious is anyone out there who has been approved or now receiving SS has had to repay back any funds to there Disability insurance carriers. I was told or had read this somewhere that I now have to send them a letter letting them know I have been approved by SS and that I may owe them money back??? Just curious if anyone out there was familiar with this??? Thank you so much for any info.
    SaraD
  2. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Just curious is anyone out there who has been approved or now receiving SS has had to repay back any funds to there Disability insurance carriers. I was told or had read this somewhere that I now have to send them a letter letting them know I have been approved by SS and that I may owe them money back??? Just curious if anyone out there was familiar with this??? Thank you so much for any info.
    SaraD
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I will have to do the same thing when my SSDI is approved. In fact, the LTD company asked me if I would prefer that they deduct that from my checks now so I wouldn't have to repay them. I don't know how they thought I was going to pay the bills without it, but I told them to forget that idea!

They also told me they would supply an attorney to help me after I had been denied twice. Before hiring my attorney I checked to make sure I wouldn't have to include his payment in my check to the LTD company, but I'm OK. His payment will be taken from the sum to be paid to me before I receive the check.

Once I am approved they will continue to pay me, but the amount will be adjusted to reflect the amount of my SSDI. Same thing with my retirement. But they will pay me until I am able to resume teaching, which is highly unlikely, or I turn 65. So I'm not going to complain too loudly. It's only with the combo of all three checks that I will be able to continue living in my house and not have to drastically alter my lifestyle.

Barbara
  4. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

sarad:
    Hate to sound dumb but what is LTD? I am filing for SSDI, but never heard of it???
    thanks
    sue
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

LTD is Long Term Disability. It is often provided by employers or made available to employees at a group rate. It is coverage through a private insurance company.

Those of us fortunate enough to be covered first have to file for Short Term Disability, which lasts for a few months. Then you go to LTD. In my case the transition was easy, but many people have trouble getting LTD.

Hope this helps.

Barbara
  6. SaraD

SaraD New Member

To try to make a long story short (which I know we all have long stories unfortunately). My LTD was only paid for 12 months, then they called in April and said, sorry we don't think you are disabled anymore because you are not receiving constant treatment etc.. So they stopped my payments and I have been getting nothing for the last 7 months. So it ticks me off that I have to turn around and pay them money back... I am having another out of state lawyer actually investigate this because there's a huge issue right now with the company, I won't mention the name... but I worked there and this is how they treated me. I know now that the government agrees that I am disabled but my former employment doesn't care what they think apparently.
    So, the bad part of me feels like blowing them off, but my lawyer says I should have to send them a letter and let them know that I will be getting SS and how much, (which I don't even know what that is yet). But the other part of me is very thankful that I am getting anything at all. So, we'll just see what lawyers feel like sticking up for me and doing there job.... Thanks for listening, as you can tell I needed to vent.
    Sarad
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am not looking forward to any of this. I am so sorry that you're having to go through all of this junk. Things are rarely fair, huh?
    Let me know how it goes. I'll keep ya'll informed, as well!
    Love and appreciation,
    Kady