Report on New Doc's PA and Vit. D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi everyone, I told you I was going to fire my doctor and I did. Today I had an appointment with another doctor's PA. My intent was to see if I wanted to be a patient there and I think I do. Interestingly enough, her hubby's a rheumy so she had some inside info as well.

She checked me out and found YOW!s on all the trigger points for FM, darn it. She said that her hubby has found that many of his patients are deficient in vitamin D and that their pain is much improved with the addition of that vitamin. Mind you, I live in Michigan where sun is not a year 'round thing and with my CFS heat intolerance I'm outside much less on sunny days than I used to be. Heck, I'm outside less on ANY day. She included that in the blood work they did and I'll find out within two weeks. She said she's almost sure I'm waaaaay below the necessary levels of D.

She also recommended a book, again one that her husband recommends and adheres to! called The Paleo Diet. She said it's quite restrictive but she wants me to give it a try for two weeks. Said her husband's had good results for his patients with it as well as himself. Just two weeks - shoot, I can do that. It eliminates bread, pasta and all dairy except plain organic yogurt. Eggs are OK too.

She said with every protein we should eat three servings of veggies and fruit. I don't know what I'll eat! Since when were meat, veggies and fruit enough to satisfy anyone's hunger?? What about peanut butter? What about Drumsticks??Just kidding.

She also recommended Eat Right 4 Your Type which I have. She said she knows it sounds "faddish" but that when it comes right down to it, our health is all about genetics. That would go along with the CDC's newest report so I was impressed. At least I think I found someone who'll read what I bring in and who will work with me.

She also said I definately quit the Celexa too fast and that the doctor AND nurse should have known that. Ah HA. Y'all were right.

Anyway, who knows what will happen but I wanted to share in case someone wanted to try it, or has. If you have, how did it work for you?

Stay tuned. Fingers crossed. Again.

M.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  2. lea

lea Member

Please keep us posted and hope she can help.
    BTW, do you know the exact name of your vitamin test?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sorry, I don't know. They took four vials of blood and that was one test. I'll find out for you in two weeks.

M.
  4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I was also recently tested (blood) for vit deficiency and yep I have it. Makes sense cuz I don't get hardly any sun. I also got a persc. for high dose vit D. and of course doc said get some sun girl!

The amount of the high dose freaks me out,since most stuff I have read recommends only 400- 1000mg per day. I wish these damn doctors and researchers could agree on stuff.

It seems like vit d deficiency is common especially if you don't get any or very little sunshine on your skin. It doesn't have to be alot. My doc. said 15 mins a day is good. Plus it depends on your skin tone. Lighter people get the same benefit from less sun, darker people need more.

Any dr. should know about the vit d blood test. It doesn't have a fancy or confusing name.
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hey! So others have found this to be true too! I'm encouraged.

Joannia, she told me that, ahem......."as we age, our bodies are less efficient in their use of vitamins and minerals". I forgot to look on your profile so I don't know about how your age. Maybe, even if you get outside, it's still not enough D to compensate for some years? I know that would definitely be true for me.

Now that I think of it, it seems I've read recently that with the scare about skin cancer, fewer people are staying out in the sun. I remember "frying" for hours coated with baby oil when I was a teen and I went to tanning salons for years when I was working. It always made me feel better, too. Of course my skin shows some sun damage now...

Who knows? I swear, I can't tell what's real and what's marketing hype anymore.

Oh, and this post did surface after two hours. There's a shorter version out there somewhere too. lol

M.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

...so happy for you it is always nice to hear when things good.

The Vitamin D sounds interesting and makes a lot of sense (I am never in the sun either...LOL) I will check in to it thanks for the tip.

Just a quick question who or what is the CDS and what was the report you liked?

Thanks,

Karen
  7. lea

lea Member

Marta; Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Joannla: How often do you take the capsule?

thanks
    best,
    lea
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Karen, well, brain fog hit again. CDS should be CDC! The report was the one saying that CFS, etc. has been found to be genetic. Thanks for calling it to my attention. I'll change the blunder. (But still can't seem to type correctly; I've had to retype this twice.)

lea, I don't have any prescribed Vit. D yet because the test results aren't back yet but if you post a question, I'll bet those who are taking extra D will respond.

Thanks.
    m.
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

....hey,

If I wasn't in such a fog earlier today I would have known you meant CDC...LOL

Your typing is great by the way, I hope I did not offend you I just could not figure the acronym...LOL

Thanks again for the great information...I really enjoyed reading it. :)

Karen
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

I keep hearing abou this link of Vitamin D and CFS but my Vitamin D levels are super high and through the roof..my dr. siad that was a sign of CFS and inflammation. I think all of these drs. just guess sometimes....good luck with yours. Kepp us updated.
  11. msmac

msmac New Member

My doctor sent me to a chiro who is a nutritional counsellor, and I am feeling much better, though have not been able to TOTALLY stay on his diet, which sounds similar to yours, but I have added organic almonds 4-6 a day ( a bag will last a few weeks in the fridge) ALL the fruits and veggies I want, potatoes, butter okay, no other dairy, any meats, and Eggs every day instead of cereal, which has been hard.

He put me on 800 mg of magnesium with malic acid in it and my muscle spasms have stopped, just like that. I am on a multivite and mineral pill and Co-Q10 and believe these are helping.

I need to lose about 60 pounds, so am doing this slow. The Lyrica I take made me fat!! (fatter). I am so glad you have good support, and 2 weeks may not be enough. I may take a month or more just to start changing your metabolism and getting pain under control. GOOD LUCK!!
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Karen, no offense taken at all. I'm beginning to learn humility as I stumble along in this fog. lol

Jane, amazing your levels of D would be high. Yes, I guess it's sort of a guessing game in the end. I just hope they guess right one of these days!

msmac, I like the idea of a nutritional counselor a lot. It sounds like you have a great doctor. But what do you have for breakfast?? Just an egg every day?

The PA said that Ezekiel bread was OK (did I say that already?) which will help. I've eaten it for years and prefer the Sesame Ezekiel toasted. There is not flour in it, just sprouts. It's expensive but I don't eat that much of it, or haven't...

Last question for you: do you take the magnesium with malic acid at night before bed? Does it help you sleep?

And I just stocked up on Lean Cuisines....... sigh....

Marta
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

I have heard alot about the "only" diet that one should follow, is to eat NOTHING that has flour in it or sugar in it.

re the Vit. D: I try to drink plenty of 2% Vit. D milk and take a daily multi-vitamin/multi-mineral tablet.

If you take Foxamax, it is now available with Vit. D.
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's really quite remarkable, I think, Haley. Be sure to tell your doctor and have your blood level checked.

Let me know how it goes.

Marta
  15. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Many on this board have supplemented with Vita D over the last couple of years only to feel more tired including me. You might want to have you Vita D. 1.25 tested. To see if its high. It test for Vitmin D inflamation. You can read more about it if you search for Marshal Protocol.
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm sure it depends on how much you take and, of course, how severe your pain level. My chiro recommends 4,000 iu daily for his patients to get them where they belong. That seems high in light of the old vitamin D recommendations but so many of us are very deficient. I take 2,000 iu daily.

jarjar, it goes without saying that it might not help everyone - nothing helps everyone - but it was worth a (helpful) try for me.

Not many of us here get out in the sun enough to give us the D we need and even D fortified foods are often not enough.

Next time you have blood work done, ask to have your vitamin D level checked.

Marta
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The newsletter for 7/25/06 has a good article in it about vitamin D's connection to anxiety and depression.

18. lea

lea Member

Did you find out the name of your vitamin D test and what if any rx for this?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh Lea, I left you in the dark there. I'm sorry. I was thinking that there was no specific test for D. But:

Interesting that you should ask right now because I'm going in two hours to have fasting blood work done and I have the paperwork right beside me. The doctor has checked the box for "lipid panel" which isn't unusual, has handwritten
    "fatigue" in the Diagnois box, and at the bottom where it says "Additional tests name and order code" is written: Vit D 25-OH. There is also written "cortisol" which I asked for, and "serum" to the right of cortisol. I'm hoping I can convince them to also check my serotonin level but I forgot to stipulate it to the doctor.

I hope this helps you and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you with specifics.

Marta
  20. lea

lea Member

Thanks, Marta; no problem.

Good luck with everything.

BTW, please let me know what RX you are/will be given for Vitamin D.

thank you
    best,
    lea