(repost): severe sun sensitity... anyone "recover" from this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

i've had this dd for over 13 years, but only have had sun sensitivity for the last two (i HATE it!... i miss the sun!).

also, i started having herpes symptoms a few years before this sun sensitivity (mainly the lower kind!) about six years ago (may have been laying dormant, not sure...)... and the herpes somehow feels connected to the sun sensitivity i have... meaning, the herpes definitely gets worse with summer sun (and yes, i know ultrviolet light can aggravate those symptoms)...

but then i have unique symptoms that i ONLY get from summer sun. again, just the last 2-3 years. it almost always begins around Memorial Day weekend if i'm out at a bbq or something (i now try to avoid such things between 11am and 6pm if i'm not sure i can sit under a tree, and even THEN sometimes i get symptoms). don't have it too much over winter, but it's happened with major flares, too.

i searched old posts and noticed way back that bigmama2 on here had VERY similar syptoms, they are:

i start to get what feels like mosquito bites, but they aren't. they itch like that (on legs, feet, somtimes hands and upper arms)... they become tiny clear watery blisters... then become pink and flat, then red with a dot of dark red in the center about the size of an aspirin tablet (or smaller than a dime). and they scar!... (don't fade well). one dermatologist said it was "erythema multiforme" (a unique allergic reaction related to (yep!) your own herpes infection, or from drugs (i pretty much ruled the meds out, usually don't take any; allergic)... or a mild case of Stevens Johnsons Syndrome.

i also get horrid mouth/lip ulcers(that i'm told do not look like traditional herpes simplex)... they often end with black hideous scabs. and itchy red eyes and face and skin (though a hot shower can make my skin super itchy, too, sure it's heat, not the water).

anyone have anything similar and get better?!... this is just too much, with all else i can't do!;(

;) chilene
  2. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I take valtrex for down below which I have been taking before fm. The sun will definateley cause herpes outbreaks. I get itchy when in the sun too but no sores just itch. I live in Florida and have Rosacea too which heat and the sun aggravates. I am not sure what helps other than antivirals. Acycyclovir is generic of Valtrex and a lot cheaper. Maybe this will help you
  3. HURTIN

HURTIN New Member

Hi Chilene

Minus the herpes symptoms I could have written this post myself. The sun has become my nemesis that has been annoying me for what seems like forever. (sigh) I've wasted time going to the dermatologist because the only thing she offered was sunblock. I share your pain as I'm a "night owl" as well.

4. Chilene

Chilene New Member

unfortunately, i'm allergic to Valtrex, Famvir, Olive Leaf Oil, Lysine (if that's possible)... and nearly every other medication (since this dd)!... it stinks!

i will read about Rosacea, though.

thank you for your thoughts!

chilene
  5. Chilene

Chilene New Member

doesn't it stink?...

let's pray for an answer, i think!

hang in there;)

chilene
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

If its above 70 and sunny and humidity too bad forget it, I cannot be out there long. Unfortunatley my dog wants to walk so I have to take her for a little one in morn but even that 15 mins is not good for my day, I dont mind in the evening or if its overcase its ok.
    It has gotten worse over the years, had cfs/fms for like 19 years and this started in like 99 got sunstroke one day and ever since then its gotten worse, vitamin d actually helped a little when i added that in about 4 years ago.
  7. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Chilene,

I am terribly sun sensitive too. I use perscription sunscreen, and I war long sleeves, long pants, and a hat when outdoors.

I live in the south where today the temp is going to be 95 or so. I use linen or thin cotton to keep me from being dangerously warm.

Hope this helps,

t
  8. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

See:

<a href="http://www.sunprecautions.com/">http://www.sunprecautions.com/</a>

- Mark
  9. Chilene

Chilene New Member

simonedb-- thank you for the tip about the Vitamin D!... lately, i've had allergic reactions to most vitamins, too (go figure)... but i'll give it a try. or, maybe find foods with Vitamin D (what a concept!);)

msnova74--living in a climate where i'm not too used to lots of sun and heat for many months... i always think i need to wear sleeveless clothes to feel cool... i might have to get over that;(... have been using a hat and sunscreen, though. thanks for the thoughts!;)

mrlondon--thanks for the info!... ;)

chilene