Request for Prayer for my old dog............

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Shirl, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

My old girl Foxy Lady, is dieing, she is not suffering, or crying out, but she is as thin as a blade, and is very weak, I have to help her to walk sometimes, and is 15 years old.

The vet said just plain old age, and I cannot have her put down. I had to do this once before, twelve years ago, and it still haunts me that I, personally took this sweet dog and had to stand and hold his beautiful head while he died.

My heart just won't allow me to go through this again. I felt like I was 'playing God' and said that I never wanted to do this again.

So I am asking all of you to please, petition the Lord to take my little old girl home His way, not mine.

This would be a kindness to her, and also for me, as I am a coward and cannot take this in my own hands to do again.

I can accept her death, but not by my choosing. It hurts my very soul to see her this sick, and would be more content to see her at peace.

The vet said she is not in pain, just that her time is pass over.

I know that others have more pressing needs here, but this is a big heartbreak for me, and I do know she is also one of the Lord's creatures.

It took me a week to post this, but today is the day that I simply could not do without your prayers in this matter anymore.

Thank you for your prayers, and God's blessings be upon you all.

Shalom, Shirl
  2. suzbee

suzbee New Member

It's so hard to lose a fur buddy who's been in your life so long.

Many years ago we had to have our dear golden put down because he had eaten a deer skull and shredded his insides; nothing could be done. It just about killed me to see him laying there on the vet's table, looking at us with trusting eyes as the vet quietly made the injection. (I'm crying now as I write this.) We wailed and wailed. I kept a picture of my old Bo dog on a table for ten years after that.

I pray your old friend will not have a hard time of it.

Sending you soft hugs, Shirl, and I know you will have many happy memories of your dear Foxy. You'll see her in heaven.

Love,
    suzbee
  3. AnnieMay

AnnieMay New Member

because my dogs ARE my children! Everyone needs some unconditional love in their lives, and I think that those of us who are here because of our illnesses can appreciate how rare and wonderful that love is. It's always so hard to say goodbye. I know she'll always live in your heart, and when God calls you home, too, she'll be waiting for you - because it couldn't be "home" without her!
  4. jolly

jolly New Member

My heart is just weeping for you! Yes, I've already said a prayer and will continue. Jo Ellen
  5. ValleyGirl89

ValleyGirl89 New Member

I will be praying! I have an old dog, he is almost 12 now and he belonged to my mom, when she passed away, I took him. He is almost blind, hard of hearing and does not eat much of anything anymore. It is so hard to watch a pet suffer! My mom thought so much of this dog and it is going to be so hard to lose him. I can't imagine having him put to sleep though, not that I want to see him suffer, but that I just can't make that decision to have him put down!
    Lisa
  6. Luann53051

Luann53051 New Member

I am so sorry to hear about Foxy Lady. I know exactly what you are going through. I had a dog as a child, and she got so old and frail, that one morning, she could not walk down the stairs to go outside to go to the bathroom. It was so heartbreaking. I did take her and had her put down, because she was in so much pain. But, it just broke my heart. I still can't forget the look in her eyes when I handed her over to the vet. It breaks my heart to this day. You are NOT a coward. You are human, just as the Lord intended. Animals are like family in our lives. You are very passionate about your Foxy Lady--and I think that is wonderful.

I pray that the Lord takes Foxy Lady home soon, and without pain. May Foxy Lady find peace and comfort with your love during her last days, and that she will find peace.

Hugs,
    Luann
  7. jolly

jolly New Member

Has he passed? I hope this isn't bringing up bad memories. Death is such the time to remember all the good things about a dog. Same with a person, but you know. I hope your day has been good and your good memories salve over the pain of your dog's passing. And if he's not gone yet, he's just waiting around to be appreciated fully! Jo Ellen
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Praying for your beloved dog as you requested. I had to put my 15 year old dog to sleep. His kidneys were failing and he was suffering so much. It was so hard but they want to get out of their suffering bodies as much as we would if we were dying and suffering. I also believe we will see them again in the after life.

They are members of our families too. Also, they have an important job, teaching us unconditional love. If you think about it, their the only place we get that.

i just had a 15 year old cat that died. I did not have him put to sleep. I kept praying he would go quick and not suffer. It took a week and a half before he finally died. If I had known it was going to be so long, I would have taken him into the vet to be put down. Death has its own time I guess.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2003]
  9. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Hi Shirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about Foxy not doing well. I know it is hard to lose a pet. We had to put our dog down a few years ago and I agree, it is not something I would want to do again. I pray the Lord will take her in his timing and He will comfort you through this hard time. That's good she is not in pain. God bless you!

Love,
    Gail (Harmony)
  10. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am in the same boat with my golden lab. He is laying on the couch with me now. Blind, and crippled up. I have been praying to God that he will take him home and that I will not be forced into putting him to sleep.

I so understand the strong attachments. For me, Hubby my dog, has been there for me when no one else was. He has watched over me, loved me unconditionally and now..needs and depends on me.

I pray for you and your loved one. And I thank God for the wonderful thing He gave us called memories. We can carry these little loved ones with us forever.

Thinking of you Shirl..Sherry
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You know I have been praying for you and Foxy as I know how hard this has been on you. Maybe if you think of it this way, she is probably staying here out of sheer will because she loves you and life. Try holding her and telling her it is OK to let go and go on Home. Animals understand more than we think they do. Sometimes, they just need permission to let go. If it doesn't work, she is telling you she will go in her own time.

Love, Mikie
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Appreciate everyone of your prayers, concern and compassion.I pray that everyone of your receive a special blessing from the Lord for your kindness and understanding for us.

My Foxy Lady passed over this morning, peacefully, and quietly.

Mike, I did sit, wiped her little face yesterday evening, and prayed, I did tell her it was alright to let go, and leave for that more peaceful place, with no pain.

She refused food, and just went into her sleeping area. She died with her snout on her paw, very peacefully.

Richard has buried her, I am grateful to the Lord he was home, and most of all that I did not have to have her put down.

Sherry, I will pray for your beloved Lab, believe me I know exactly where you are right now. Sometimes I think they hang on for our sake, not theirs.

Harmony, you are always here when I need you, blessings in abundance going your way.

Again, I thank everyone of you from the deepest part of my soul for your prayers.

Shalom, Shirl
  13. Harmony

Harmony New Member

My love and sympathy for you Shirl, in the passing of your beloved Foxy Lady. That's good she went peacefully, and you had that special time with her last evening. She was blessed to have you for so many years and the good life and care you gave her. She is now out of pain and in peace and you have many good memories to hold on to. God bless you, Shirl and may God give you His comfort.

Love,
    Harmony (Gail)
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have tears as I write this. I am glad you had a chance to tell her goodby and send her Home with your blessings. I still think she may have been waiting for Richard so you would not be alone when she passed.

You know my prayers continue for you as you grieve for your little Foxy Lady.

My prayers go out to all who have old and ailing pets. They are so precious to us.

Love, Mikie
  15. suzbee

suzbee New Member

My heart is with you today. I wish I could just bundle you up in a comforter and put you by my fire with a mug of something to drink, and let you sit there as long as you want. I don't have words to tell you ...

Hugs,
    suzbee
  16. sheried

sheried New Member

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I still feel pain and guilt that I had to have my 18 year old Daisy put down. But, she was in pain and suffering from terrible seizures (Brain tumor.) My guilt is that I was too chicken to be there to hold her, I couldn't make myself do it, and it will be with me forever. After all, she was always there for me.

Again, I am so sorry, but glad you were with her to see her home.

Love, Sherie
  17. upnightowl

upnightowl New Member

I too lost a furry companion three years ago. We had short stuff 17 years. Found her abanoned and feed her with a bottle for the first week. I write this thru tears as it is still hard for me to talk about. I can not bring myself yet to have another. My husband keeps bringing up the subject but I'm just not there yet.

Know my heart goes out to you and your husband. Sorry I'm just at a lost for words as this so hard. Just want you to know I care and you are in my prayers.

K
  18. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

My tears are falling as I write this to you, for I feel your pain and sadness!

Your Foxy Lady is a very lucky girl to have you for her friend and Mom!

I know too well the pain of losing a pet ( friend ).
    I have lost a few animals over the years and I still cry when I think of each one of them!

I believe that it takes a specail person with a special heart to allow animals to share their unconditional love with us,you obviously love your girl very much and that is the reason it is so hard to see her slipping away!

I would like to say "thank you" for Foxy Lady for taking such good care of her, giving her a wonderful life, and for loving her!Because if she could talk i'm sure that's what she'd say!

You are a great person for giving her the life she deserved, and should be commended for doing so!

As I grieved for one of my most beloved doxies, my sister lovingly said to me " the more you love them the harder it is to let them go"!Boy, that is the truth!

I am thinking of you and your girl Foxy Lady, I pray that God will take her in a peaceful, and easy way ,and that she not suffer!

Love your animal lover friend,
    Doxygirl ( Marianne)

19. ValleyGirl89

ValleyGirl89 New Member

I am very sorry that you lost foxy lady. I know you must be relieved that she is no longer suffering and went peacefully.
    Lisa
  20. jolly

jolly New Member

Been gone for days - came to check on Foxy Lady and read the news. So glad your prayers were answered. I could just see her there with her head on her paw. Jo Ellen