REQUIP (ropinirole) dopamine agonist -- anyone taking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

The psychopharmacologist that prescribes and monitors my Effexor XR recently gave me a trial of Requip, with a potential prescription if it works well.

This came about because, although I've had restless legs syndrome in the past and don't have that sensation now, my husband complained that I twitched and jerked a lot when I am sleeping. (I also grind my teeth and bite my tongue.)

This medication (on label) is for Parkinson's and RLS, but I recently read that there has been a trial w/fibro patients that suggested it may also help for that.

Is anyone else taking this?

I put off starting it because the potential side effects freaked me out (hallucinations, sleepiness, etc.), and I am going up to the Atlanta FCC -- a 6-hour drive that I am doing by myself -- and I wasn't confident dealing with potential side effects during the trip. Well, my situation was not improving, so two nights ago, I started the trial pack at the lowest dose.

Last night, I slept for 7 1/2 hours straight. Hmm. I wasn't woken up by the pain of biting my tongue.

I still am worried about side effects, but so far, on the low dose, I have not had any. (I think I'm at 0.25, and the dosing can go up to 4 mg). Unfortunately, like many here, I tend to be oversensitive to meds.

If anyone has any experiences, could you post them here?

Is anyone else here taking this?
  2. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I've been taking it for around 6 momths, maybe longer. It has worked great for me and I've never had to increase the dose. No side effects which for me is unusual!
    Hope it works for you.
    cindy
  3. MerrimackRiver

MerrimackRiver New Member

Regarding Requip . . . My two cents worth :)

I have been on Requip since September. I started with the two-week pack that the doctor starts you on. This is the first medication that has been approved by the FDA for restless legs. That was this past May.

I have severe problems with my legs and sensitive to meds but I have to say I'm so happy with Requip. It does take a while for it to work but it is important to start slowly as the two-week pack suggests. I am on 1-1/4 mg.

I still do not sleep all night though. I wish it worked that well for me. I've not had any side effects.

To learn more and keep up with research for restless legs I joined the "Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation" and they will send you a publication four times a year called "Nightwalkers". You'll also receive up-to-date medical bulletins.

I certainly hope this helps you.

Please let me hear how your doing. Best of luck.

Merri
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I had no idea I would find people who knew anything about this medicine. I feel a little better knowing others have had good results and that, for non-Parkinson's cases, the dosages seem to be rather low.

Thank you very much for responding!

P.S. Merri -- and thanks for the tip on the RLS Foundation. I'll check that out.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]