Requip vs. Ambien

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by purpleleaves, Nov 17, 2005.

1. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

Has anyone found that Requip helps with sleep better than Ambien?
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

There were some very nice posters who replied to me when I had Requip questions in the last couple of weeks. If you want to look for their names, check my profile/post list -- I'm pretty sure both times I posted the word "Requip" was in the title.

I didn't take Requip long enough to really know, although it was kind of amazing to wake up in the same spot that I fell asleep. Also, I found that I didn't jiggle my leg to fall asleep (a habit since I can remember!). In the end, side effects (nausea, vomiting -- even at a low dose) won out, and I had to quit, but several others have had good responses.

I've taken Ambien several years ago. I remember liking it -- no morning hangover! (To be fair, Requip didn't have one for me either.) Also, just because of my weird body chemistry, the less Ambien I took, the better I slept, so I made my prescription last a looooooong time!
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

4. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,
    Maybe I am having a brain fog...but what is requip?

Mindy
  5. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I have been taking Ambien for about 3 months now with 1 Elavil and 1 Mirapex each night at 8 pm. I think it works well for me, but my husband says I toss and turn alot. I dont feel bad when I wake up, other than the usual stiffness.
    I dont know what Requip is. Funny, I thought I had tried everything! lol!

6. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

Requip is being prescribed for restless legs syndrome--it's similiar to Miripex, I think--in that it's a dopamine agonist, and also marketed for Parkinson's Disease.

My doctor wanted me to try it in place of Ambien, but I'm unsure about trying a new med....I'm too exhausted to be nauseated!
  7. cenaterrones

cenaterrones New Member

I have been taking Ambien for the last three years along with a few other meds due to poor sleeping and chronic fatigue. My doctor told me about a new med that is now out--Rozerem. Ambien worked well for a while, but over the last six months, or so, I seemed to be regressing to my old sleep habits. I have been takin Rozerem for a little over a month now. I take 8mg and am able to go to sleep earlier (about 10:00 at night vs 1-2:00am)and even if I have to get up 2-3 times per night, I am able to go back to sleep with no problem. I also do not have to take any other sleep medications anymore. I am able to get up in the morning at about 6:15 without any problem. The only problem with this med is that, since it's so new, I have to pay full price for it--about $100.00/month. At this point in my FMS/CFS, I mean, life, it's worth it to me to get the sleep I so desperately need.
  8. grandmasheri

grandmasheri New Member

i take requip for restless legs and it works great for me. it does not however help me sleep! i just don't move around as much while i lie there awake lol
    Sheri