Require info on narcotic meds. please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kkvj, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kkvj

kkvj New Member

Hi everyone - just joined the board a few weeks ago and have not posted any questions or answers as my husband had emergency by-pass surgery - was in a coma for a week and hospital for 11days -Now at home doing o.k but I guess it will be slow. Wanted your opinions on narcotic meds. I myself have been on foirinal c 1/2 for years and years , this has worked good for me with no side affects -mind in tact. Now my dr. wants me to try Hydromorphone 1mg 3x daily - also called dilaudid. Took one felt terrible side affects so have decided at this time as we have so much going on and I need a clear mind as I am now the caregiver to pass this one. Have tried lots of meds through the last 23yrs with mega side affects as it takes so long to come of a lot of the drugs I know there is no magic bullet and it is trial and error but for me I was doing as good as I could on my current meds for the last few years and just want to stay there but not sure if thats going to fly - hence the delema. My condition pain and fatique never changed - the more I do the worse it gets and unfortunately for me I see no change after all the changes in meds - Would rather have quality than quantity of life and I don/t beleive at this point of time there is anything proven - I also understand that what works for one won't work for another but I am sure we all suffer the same and it changes life forever. It is a day at a time illness - like a lot of you no-one really understands and have not kept up with freinds - even family do not want to know so I guess we all plod along and suffer great lonliness-depressions - the whole gammit. hope you can answer some of my questions it would be greatly appreaciated - pain meds can be such a pain. blessings to all.
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

I am sorry. I am not understanding your post. What kind of info are you looking for?
  3. kkvj

kkvj New Member

my questions were if anyone had tried foirinal or hydromphone - sorry for the confusion - also would like info on how it affected them - thanks
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there and Welcome!!
    I think you'll find a lot of great information and support here!

I too am a little bit unsure of what you're asking. Am also wondering why your Doctor wants to change your medication if your other medication was working. Was it still working for you? Can you continue with the foirinal (sp?) - which I've never even heard of, by the way. You mentioned you weren't sure if that was going to fly. Can you give us more information on that?

Gosh, I hope your husband's recovery goes well! How scary that he was in a coma. Glad to hear that he's doing okay now.
  5. poets

poets Member

Fiorinal C is usually given for tension or migraine headaches, although if it has codeine it could help with other pain somewhat. There's a BIG difference between Hydromorphone and Fiorinal C. Hydromorphone or Dilaudid, is a major narcotic. I was given that when I broke my back. That was the ONLY time I was given that. I felt very little pain and remember very little as well. And it is very constipating. If you need a clear mind, I'd be very careful of the Hydromorphone.

I'm glad to hear your husband is doing better now. Hope he continues to feel better every day.

6. spacee

spacee Member

Fiorinal is an old drug. I had a neighbor who took it 30 years ago. I don't hear of it being mentioned here since it does seem to be prescribed more for headaches...but if it works for you. Then that is great.

People do get "used" to drugs and sometimes their docs will change to try to keep that from happening. Some docs purposely rotate every three months.

I agree that the dilaudid can really knock you out. It was given to my mom when she had a stroke and was agitated. It put her right to sleep. I would be careful of that one.

Have you tried Darvocet? I believe it has caffiene in it and would help your mind.

Vicodin works for some very well without the sleepiness.

I am with you on the great lonliness-depressions. I sure wish it were different.

I wish you well with your choice of pain meds....

7. kkvj

kkvj New Member

thanks f or your reply - when I said "it was not going to fly" i meant I don't know if he will prescribe that med. again. I think the FM Soc Drs. may not be in favour of that drug re liver problems but as with all drugs they will affect us in some way - do not have liver problems. My Dr. is great he and another Dr. are starting pain clinics re FM/CF so he is very knowledgable also I am Scottish hence the quote. Was just interested if anyone had tried these drugs as I do not like the info on hydromorphone. Thanks again
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If the Dilaudid makes you feel bad tell your doctor. Pain management is all "trial and error" and often you must try several different drugs to find the one right for you.

There are so many good pain drugs these days to try - maybe your doctor can let you try another. Explain to him that you must be alert to take care of your husband.