Resceduling my Hysterectomy (for now)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi,
    to all of you's who helped me out on my last post :)
    Thank you~
    I just wanted to update on my situation as it stands.

I called and cancelled my hysterectomy yesterday.

I just feel I need more time to research the whole thing because I was getting mixed feelings on wether this was the right thing to do.
    I've read equal amounts of good outcomes vs. bad outcomes. and even the pros and cons of removing or leaving your cervix.(which scares me BTW).
    I'm also in the process of having my med. records transferred to a new GYNO for a 2nd opinion.

so,...we'll see what this other dr. says late this month.
    If I don't go ahead with the hyster.,.. I will at least need a smaller surgery(Laproscope)to remove some or most Endo.
    Just wanted to let some of you's that were here for me know. I apreciate all your input~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you're right to take your time, get a second opinion and then make a decision.

I never regretted my hysterectomy but I was having periods continually with only a few days inbetween and everything that goes with them, terrible pms, clotting etc.

So it was a huge relief for me to be rid of all that.

But an operation is an operation, not something to be rushed into.

Take care

love
    Rosie
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Yes,...its a big one :)
    something about parting with my parts??
    I certainly don't need them anymore for childbearing,...
    but I don't think thats the only reason God put them in there!!
    Hugs
    Tandy
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

in whatever you decide!

all the best,
    Victoria
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

so glad you all agreed on my 2nd opinion and needing more time. (cause some of my family think I'm being overly hype)?? Its not them,...thats all I can say.
    Its easy to say what you might do in a given situation but to really think it thru,...If it were me??

I'll keep you all posted for sure.
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. tejanya

tejanya New Member

if you have had pain or infections, cysts, etc please get that 2nd opinion soon. i put my hyster off, then talked with women that had it done and why. several understood my wanting to wait, but also let me know that ending up in the e/r room and emergency surgery took alot longer to heal and get back to normal. i thought yeah sure! they were right. i waited a year and wished after the surgery i had not waited. it took 3+ years to enjoy married life without pain. i could not sweep, pick up a cast iron skillet took cook for my family (hubby and 3 kids) or any thing for 2 months. that was in 1983. in 1990 a friend had the surgery, she was back at work in one week. yeah sure she was a bit sore, and i did ask her about it. because we are in this century technology is great. recovery is unbelievably fast. just don't wait too long, the body wants to feel good too.
    hang in there, life gets better. how? you wake up breathing everyday. God Bless you.
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

I am going ahead with mine on Wednesday, but according to my PCP, it has been shown that women who make the decision for a hysterectomy of their own accord do much better. If an emergency, or they feel forced into it, they don't do as well. It's such a major issue for females, it must be YOUR decision. There is a lot to research, so many decisions! Good luck with it.
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I don'y let people rush me into anything.

Musica,I will pray that your surgery goes well

((((((((((((hugs to both)))))))))
    Linda
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I hope your recovery goes very well,...and I hope your problems are solved by this.
    Whats the reason for yours?? if I may ask?

and Rainfyer~ I'm defineitly asking about continues BC at my pre-op. When ever that should be??
    But I am hoping to make a decision fast onmy surgery.
    Cause I need something done soon.Even if its just a smaller clean up surgery.
    I'm hoping to be all done before the holidays roll in.(??)
    thanks again to each of you~
    :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am so sorry, I'm behind the times here, but why were you having the hysterectomy anyway (what I mean is, there are obviously various reasons why physicians recommend them, and I'm not sure what your exact situation is)? Is it due to endometriosis, or chronic bleeding or something?

I just had a procedure last month called the "Novasure" system...it is like having a hysterectomy without the abrupt removal of the organs or disturbing the hormones (I'm 49, BTW, perimenopausal). I was having chronic bleeding, and after an ultrasound determined it wasn't due to ovarian cysts, fibroids, etc., my doctor recommended this much newer, more successful version of the old endometrial ablation. This new system lasts forever, takes only about 2 minutes to perform. 70% of women who have it never have another period again, 30% experience only mild monthly bleeding, no cramps, etc.

It's been performed in Europe for a long while with great success, relatively recently here in the US, but for a while now. My doc specializes in it; my procedure involved a D & C, and hysteroscopy also. I had light cramps for only about 3 hours afterward, went to work the next day with no ill effects. In fact, my doc has been asked by the Novasure people to make a TV commercial about it, and he asked me to be in it! (I said no, of course, who wants to be on TV hawking that part of their anatomy?? Someone less inhibited than me, I guess!)

Anyway, please research it, google the "Novasure System" just to see if it would address any of your gynecological issues without going for the full, very invasive hysterectomy.

Worth checking out, anyway...good luck whatever you decide to do!

Pam
  11. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I had a hystorectomy for endo.
    Is your endo. very painful?Mine was awful painful.
    I am glad I had mine but I understand the reluctance for you.It is a major thing to think about.
    My surgery went well, they removed everything vaginally.1 overy was left.
    Only advice I could give you if you do decide to have the surgery is to take it very slow when you come home,don't over do it.Stay in the hospital the max amount of time.(I came home the next day,don't recommend).
    I hope that the second opinion can help you without having major surgery.
    But for me,it has been great.But the one thing about endo is this, if it is not all removed it can come back.I have my left ovary and I am wondering could the endo be back again.
    If you do decide to go through with the surgery make it perfectly clear that you want the dr. to be very sure he/she removed ALL the endo.
    Best of luck with your second opinion.

Oh, one more thing.Have they said anything about starting you on Lupron injections.Lupron is a chemo. drug for prostate cancer.It was discovered that it would stop a womens period.Alot of gyn's will suggest 6 months of these injections before surgery.You need to read into this.I had an awful time with those shots.I became very ill.Lupron is not a good drug, atleast not for me.But like in everything some do fine and others may not.

Sheila
  12. Musica

Musica New Member

Thanks for the prayers for surgery, they are much appreciated.

I haven't had a lot of bleeding or anything, but I have a huge and dense fibroid. My ovaries aren't really functioning much, anyway, so I am having a complete hysto. I have had bladder leaking for sure, and who knows what else it is pressing on.

Rheumy hopes it is pressing on things or releasing chemicals that is causing all my pain. I don't know if that is just a hope, so I don't have FM or something else! He says he hasn't seen that in a long time. I doubt it will take care of everything, either, but this is my part of the diagnostic process and I want this lump out of me, anyway! Maybe then I can fit into the same size clothes top and bottom... :)
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Musica

I hope your op goes as well as mine did. It took me 11 weeks to get out of bed because of CFS/Fibro - so dont push yourself. Take it easy.

Tandy

losing your parts - I never felt less of a woman losing my womb, in no way at all did it interrupt my womanly life, apart from getting over the op of course and some people do that really quickly. I didnt but it was a big relief just the same.

love
    Rosie
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I've been gone for a few days, so just saw your message today. I am so glad you have decided to wait on this. We
    both know you definitely were not ready to take such a drastic step in the hopes of helping your endo. As I said before, I think you are smart to read and give this careful consideration. You can always have the surgery if you later decide this is what you want to do.

Ellen