Research artical on b-vit helping pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MelanieThebirdlover, Apr 19, 2003.

1. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

Found this on the arthritis forum, not sure if anyones posted this before, so just in case.......

Chronic pain affects some 86 million Americans a year, and is the cause of business and industry loses about $90 billion annually to sick time, reduced productivity, and direct medical and other benefit costs. Many who suffer from chronic pain are told to learn to “live with it.” Now new research indicates that relief could be provided in the vitamin counter at the neighborhood grocery story.
    B-vitamins, such as thiamin (B1), pyridoxine (B6), and cyanocobalamin (B12), have been proven to be clinically effective in treating various painful conditions such as lumbago, sciatica, trigeminal neuralgia, facial paralysis and optic neuritis as acting as an analgesia (pain reliever). Past research has explored the analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of vitamin B1, B6 and B12. For example, vitamin B1, B6, and B12 and combinations inhibited chemical- and heat-induced pain evidenced by writhing test, heat coil test, or hot plate test (although some negative results have also been reported).

Nociceptive pain comes from sprains, bone fractures, burns, bumps, bruises, inflammation (from an infection or arthritic disorder), obstructions, and myofascial pain (which may indicate abnormal muscle stresses). The pain originates from the nociceptors, nerves which sense and respond to parts of the body which suffer from damage. They signal tissue irritation, impending injury, or actual injury. When activated, they transmit pain signals (via the peripheral nerves as well as the spinal cord) to the brain. One of the research studies found that noxious heat evoked nociceptive responses of spinal dorsal horn neurons were suppressed by compound of B1, B6 and B12. These studies indicate that the B-vitamins possess the capability to block physical distress in some painful conditions.

Recently, several animal models of painful sequelae in humans after the primary sensory neurons injury have been developed such as the model of chronic compression of dorsal root ganglion (DRG). However, this antinociceptive efficacy of B-vitamins has not been evaluated in animals with neuropathic pain, that is result of an injury or malfunction in the peripheral or central nervous system. The pain is often triggered by an injury, but this injury may or may not involve actual damage to the nervous system.

Researchers recently found that intraperitoneal (i.p.)- or intrathecal (i.t.)- injection of B1, B6 and B12 or their combination significantly reduced thermal hyperalgesia in CCD rats. On the other hand, mechanisms underlying the B-vitamins-induced analgesia remain unknown. It has been reported that B complex vitamins can activate potently the soluble guanylyl cyclase (sGC), and cyclase guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) in a wide variety of tissues. cGMP plays an antinociceptive activity in nociceptive processing. Others have suggested that B1 could produce antinociception by the activation of GC mediated by cGMP in p-benzoquinone-induced mouse writhing model.

Happy Easter All!!

Melanie
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

One of the very first things my Rheumy told me when I was dx'd was to take a mega-dose B-complex. I have been doing so ever since. A couple of times I have stopped for various reasons, and within 2 days I lose major amts. of energy and calmness. I don't know that it has helped with pain, but other supps. have (mostly digestive enzymes), but the B's sure help me with energy.
    Klutzo
  3. MelanieThebirdlover

====(")===(")===== HANG IN THERE!
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Thanks, Melanie, for sharing this. I think as research continues, we're going to see more and more articles like this. Isn't it great to "KNOW" that there is a portion of the medical establishment that believes the pain is real?

I think there is still alot more to learn about HOW B-vitamins work in cases like this. Many, many moons ago I was treated with mega-doses of B6 (for a totally unrelated problem). This was a treatment that was under review by the med estab. The end result for me was that it didn't help the condition I was taking it for, and now I am allergic to ANY of the B's in supplement form (meaning that i get alot of these vits in my foods w/o problems). There was a post yesterday (i think) about allergic reaction to B-12 after intense dosing. So, I'm thinking that it might be playing with fire to experiment on one's own with B dosing. Obviously the docs don't have a clue what the END result might be. And I think I'm rambling at this point so I'm checkin out....

pax,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  5. MelanieThebirdlover

And YES Copper it is great to know that they beleive in the 'real' pain. I'm sorry to hear what happen to you tho, I would think it is better anyways to get the b's from food? What foods speciffically do you eat to help if you don't mind me asking?

Klutzo, how much b-vit are you taking? If you don't mind me asking.....

Many, many, thanks in advance. Take real good care!!

Melanie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2003]
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

klutzo, I'd also like to know how much vit B you're taking, I'm always afraid of overdoing it with the supplements.
    love,
    Susanne
  7. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

LOTS of B vit's in meats & dairy. I have a computer program for nutrition, and according to this, just one 3 oz. hamburger patty supplies (22mcg) 11% of daily B6 need (generalization) and (2.1mcg) 105% of daily B12. The program doesn't measure the lesser B's. MOST of us get plenty of B vits in the diet. My question(s) then becomes: Why do ill people require B12 shots? Is it because the vits aren't being absorbed? If so, then why do high doses cause toxicity? WAYYYYYYYYYYY too many ?'s about the HOW of these things. After nutrition school, I was left with many more questions than I had answers for about supplements. It is soooooooooooooooo easy to throw oneself into serious health issues when messing around with supplements. JMHO

pax,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2003]
  8. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Thanks Melanie---a very interesting article.
    I have been doing alot of research on B Vitamins...and I can add this to my arsenal :)

I had read the B-12 was especially good for neuralgias, and other neural manifestations.

Copper--yes, the reason I take B-12 injections and B Complex injections is due to malabsorption problems, with oral dosing.

Thanks again,
    LL