research

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dolls, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Dolls

Dolls New Member

I would like to know if anyone knows of research that has been done on fibro, and the possibility of passing this
    condition on to children. My father had it, I have and so do my children and grandchildren. I have had fibro all my life, has anyone else experienced this?
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm pretty sure it was The Fibromyalgia Network Newsletter, and quite a long time ago.
    Anyway, it said that they are pretty certain now that the predisposition for Fibro is autosomal dominant, passed mother to child on the X chromosome. Thus, when a woman with fibro has a girl child, there is a 50% chance she will develop Fibro some time in her life.
    You could go to their website and look through their archives. I used to save all of their newsletters, but I started subscribing in 1989, and I just did not have the file space anymore for all of that, so I got rid of all but the last one year's worth.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Have you tried the archives in the library here?
    Klutzo
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

but my mom and I have it and suspect her sisters have a mild form.
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

To search our library, go to the top of the page and click on the Library tab. Then do a search for keywords when you get there.
    If you do a search for websearch for Fibromyalgia Network, you should find them easily. Sorry we can't post URL's.
    Klutzo
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Hi there! I have researched this topic a bit, and have found that it can be passed by genetics. My mother has had it for the past 8 years, and I just developed it as well. I think my younger sister may have it too. I am very scared to have kids at this point. I wouldn't want to pass it on.

Kathryn
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Yeah, I heard too it can be passed along the generations. My 11 yr old son, who is also ADDH, has mild symptoms of it. If he gets any worse as time passes, then I will get him help.

I sometimes think its ones emotional makeup that triggers FM. I have had alot of emotional problems in the past. Wired is what I call it, being the one to do it all, and a prefectionist, overachiever.

It saddens me some, yes.. that I may have passed it along. I feel no guilt though, everything happens for a reason I believe. Haveing this DD, changed my life, made me get my personal life under some control, helped me to grow spiritually.

If my son ends up having FM. Then hey.. He has a mom who is doing her best to become informed and aware of it all.

Hope I helped a little..

Sunshyne
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Believe that it takes a genetic predisposition, along with triggering events, for our illnesses to manifest. I also believe this is true.

My Mom had FMS and eczema. I have FMS and CFIDS, and believe I had ADHD as a child. My older daughter was annorexic and has FMS now. My younger daughter has FMS, interstitial cystitis, and vulvadynia. She also had ADHD as a child. From things my Mom has told me, I suspect her mother, my grandmother, also had FMS.

My older daughter and her husband cannot seem to have children. It scares me to think that if my younger daughter ever decides to have children, they will also be sick and she will get worse. For now at least, she and her husband are not going to try for a child. As much as I would love to have a grandchild, I'm almost hoping they decide against having children.

Love, Mikie
  8. Dolls

Dolls New Member

Thanks to everyone who answered my message. Every time I have asked this question of my doctors, they tell me no and that I have put it into the children's heads. I know almost all of my family has this FM to some degree. I think maybe research is not going in the right direction for the next generation.I worry so about the kind of life that my children and grandkids will have. There are not many meds that work for me and most of them cause other health problems. I think that those of us who have these dieases have little hope right now, just to keep living the best we can. Thank you for the sites I will try to find out what I can.