residential therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmotis, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. jmotis

    jmotis New Member

    My mom has had fibromyalgia for 11 years or so, and has been bed-ridden for the past year. Because my dad has to work to support us via contract jobs, he can't be at home to take care of her (or even in the same state), so my 25-year old sister has had to leave her life to come home to take care of my mom. My mom needs 24/7/365 care, and it's wearing out my sister.

    Does anyone know if there are any residential healing communities that take physically disabled people, and/or specialize in fibromyalgia care?
  2. jadibeler

    jadibeler New Member

    There are plenty of home health care agencies who will provide live-in "companion service". I had that for my mother for about 2 years until I decided to move her in with us (big mistake, with the FM). They can be quite expensive and not many insurances cover it.

    There are also "personal care homes". They are much less expensive, but by no means cheap. I happen to know one that has an opening, here in Deep East Texas. My mother stayed there for a year while I was recovering from burn-out, which is what your sister is bordering on, I'll bet.

  3. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I do not know of any facilities specifically designed for those of us with these illnesses. If a person cannot perfor two or more of the activities of daily living such as bathing, eating, getting around, etc., that person is considered to need long-term care if the condition is expected to last longer than 90 days. That care can be delivered in the home or in a long-term-care facility. The problem is that regular insurance does not cover this nor does Medicare unless it is connected to a three-day stay in a hospital. Medicare only covers the first 20 days in full. Only long-term-care insurance pays for this level of care.

    Long-term-care is very expensive and if the patient is married, there are laws about what the spouse can keep if the patient has to go on Medicaid. Typically, the spouse can keep the house, one car, all personal items, and about $80,000. Once the spouse sells the house, the proceeds go to pay back Medicaid and when the spouse dies, the estate pretty much goes to pay back Medicaid too. Putting things in the heirs names usually doesn't work. These rules can vary some from state to state, but this is pretty typical.

    Some married couples divorce when one of them gets sick to protect the estate for the children. Only a lawyer could advise on this and it is a very desperate last measure for those who go this route.

    I've painted a pretty grim picture here and I am so sorry for your Mom and your family. I agree that checking with the Area Agency on Aging is a good idea. Sometimes communities and churches have facilities locally. This is too much for your sister to handle all alone. Are there no other family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, who could pitch in and give her some respite?

    I want to wish you the best and bless you and your family for all you are doing for your Mom. I pray that you find the help you need.

    Love, Mikie