Resistance training, toxins and nausea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 3, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi. I just want to let people know something interesting that I discovered about exercise. This is my personal experience, and perhaps not the experience of others - but thought I would share this.

I've been trying to get fit since March. I started out doing 10 mins cardio a day. This doesn't sound like much, but for me it was hard work. I started to see results in my fitness, and now I am able to do cardio for 30-40 mins at a time. It makes me feel really good IF I do it at a time of day when I know that my body is going to be receptive to it. This is usually in the early evening.

At the same time I've been doing a little bit of resistance training AFTER EACH CARDIO SESSION, to increase my muscle mass. I figure that "muscle = energy", so resistance training must be a good thing. BUT HERE'S THE CATCH. Working your muscles produces TOXINS which do not help with fatigue! (I was told this by a very helpful lady at a nearby sports/fitness store). She suggested that I do the resistance training FIRST, and then let my cardio workout get rid of the toxins.

But here's what happens. The two times that I've tried to do this, my muscle workout takes me a LONG time. I get so tired that I have to keep stopping in order to lie down. Not only that, but I start to feel nauseous. And then my whole body feels sick. So I rest for a while, and THEN start doing my cardio. Within minutes of starting, the sick feeling goes away and by the end of the workout I feel re-energised.

So actually, I don't know the moral of this story. It seems like the resistance training is a bad idea. But perhaps I should do like 10mins cardio first, and then stop and do the muscle workout, and then finish the cardio session. I don't know.

But I thought perhaps this information might spark some discussion or ideas, or maybe help other people who are trying to start exercise.

Alison

2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi. I just want to let people know something interesting that I discovered about exercise. This is my personal experience, and perhaps not the experience of others - but thought I would share this.

I've been trying to get fit since March. I started out doing 10 mins cardio a day. This doesn't sound like much, but for me it was hard work. I started to see results in my fitness, and now I am able to do cardio for 30-40 mins at a time. It makes me feel really good IF I do it at a time of day when I know that my body is going to be receptive to it. This is usually in the early evening.

At the same time I've been doing a little bit of resistance training AFTER EACH CARDIO SESSION, to increase my muscle mass. I figure that "muscle = energy", so resistance training must be a good thing. BUT HERE'S THE CATCH. Working your muscles produces TOXINS which do not help with fatigue! (I was told this by a very helpful lady at a nearby sports/fitness store). She suggested that I do the resistance training FIRST, and then let my cardio workout get rid of the toxins.

But here's what happens. The two times that I've tried to do this, my muscle workout takes me a LONG time. I get so tired that I have to keep stopping in order to lie down. Not only that, but I start to feel nauseous. And then my whole body feels sick. So I rest for a while, and THEN start doing my cardio. Within minutes of starting, the sick feeling goes away and by the end of the workout I feel re-energised.

So actually, I don't know the moral of this story. It seems like the resistance training is a bad idea. But perhaps I should do like 10mins cardio first, and then stop and do the muscle workout, and then finish the cardio session. I don't know.

But I thought perhaps this information might spark some discussion or ideas, or maybe help other people who are trying to start exercise.

Alison

3. Grams

Grams New Member

Alison, I have recently started researching on how to start a resistance training program for myself. I already have a good aerobic program for myself, and need to add the resistance training. With the aerobics, I started out with just 5 minutes and very slowly increased. Here's some of what I learned though reading on the internet.

At least 24 hours should lapse between resistance sessions. The muscles need time to recover and heal. Some websites suggested alternating days of aerobic and resistance.

There is a build up of lactic acid in the body that needs to be flushed by drinking water. In the days when I was able to have massage therapy, I was always told to go home and drink lots of water to flush the lactic acid and toxins that were released from the muscles.

Maybe your resistance sessions are too long if you are having to rest before completing it. You are probably doing too much if you are reaching the point of nausea. I'm positive that resistance training needs to build up slowly, the same as aerobic training. Also, stretching needs to be incorporated into the fitness program.

Maybe I can find a helpful website. I'll see what I can do, but don't hold your breath on that one, LOL

I strongly urge you not to exercise to the point of exhaustion, allow at least 24 hours in between resistance sessions, and drink lots of water. I hope this helps.

Gentle hugs and blessings...

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2002]
  4. epicurean

epicurean New Member

can be very hard on fibro.I was doing pre fibro.,and was doing too much weight.
    Now I do it three days a week,and alternate between legs and chest one day and then back,shoulders and arms the second.I always end my workout with 15 mins. on treadmill.
    I think resting a day between make it much eaiser.
  5. contessa

contessa New Member

One, cardio works best at around 20 mins max(research proven). If you want to do resistance training as well you need to alternate your workout days. Resistance training should also be limited to a max of 45 mins per session, alternating upper and lower body workouts. Don't do them both together. You aren't giving your body sufficient time for muscle recovery and development. Also with our conditions you need to go slow. I highly recommend the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It's a must have (you may need to make allowances for your condition) but it's well researched, do-able, and has additional dietary, supplementation research as well. Any bookstore should have it avail (or your library). My chubby husband just lost 30 #'s and turned into a muscular hunk on this program. My progress has been much slower because my pain limits me. Good luck and go get it!!
  6. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Wow, that is all really interesting advice. When I read that about the lactic acid, I just went "oh my God"! I had no idea about any of it. HMMMM, lots of stuff to take into account. I'll try to work out a better program for myself.

Thanks!

Alison
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I started walking a few months ago and have progressed to the gym now LOL>>>>> HOORAY! I do 15 minutes of cardio every day... usually the treadmill at a 5% grade... then I do ab crunches everyday with back extension.... I use the odd days to work my legs and had an arm injury pretty quickly in the gym LOL>>> so I do more cardio on the odd days... I drink lots and lots and lots of water ( over 100 oz /day) but I think its important to "warm up"... I have found I do much better in the mornings at the gym... this week I haven't been able to go in the mornings and I can really tell teh difference in going in the afternoons... it may work opposite for you and I'd encourage you to experiment with different times of the day. I'd also encourage you to warm up with a bit of cardio. If you go somewhere with a trainer, these people are invaluable as a source of help with questions! They may not know about abnormal muscles but they know all about exercise! and most of em love it when people get addicted and will do anything to make a program work for YOU*....just so you know, when I started all of this, I frequently was nauseated just like YOU* and I found the water helped alot as did slowing down but going going goin LOL>>>>>>> Good luck!

[ advertisement ]