Resonating pain when normally scratch skin? 4 years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mmadisonfun1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mmadisonfun1

mmadisonfun1 New Member

I am reallly scared. I have hardly any money no insurance to go to dr and I am trying to figure out although i know I won't know for sure until I have tests done one day if I have ms or fibro. My question is has anyone experieced a resonating pain for a few seconds when you scratch your skin? Not a hard scratch just a regular oh I have an itch so i'll scratch it type thing...It feels exactly as though I have a sunburn. That horrible oww! when you scratch when you have a sunburn. It has lasted for 4 years or so. I seem to have a lot of the symptoms of both ms and fibro. i haven't found any info on any fibro or ms sites that talk about the hurting when scratching. I tried to go to a fibro dr to get a definite diagnosis but they charge hundreds then thousands for the bloodwork and appt. I would have given everything I have to go but I had the most HORRIBLE bout I have EVER had with whatever is wrong with me last month and I wasn't able to work for two weeks and almost lost everything I had. Had to borrow money to pay rent. Was to weak to sit up long enough to eat a whole meal in the worst of it. Legs started burning when i was 11 now i'm 25. I have a million symptoms though and am hoping if maybe the pain when scratching skin is only related to either the ms or fibro it will give me an answer. Thank you for reading
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

One of my symptoms that came with the fibro was a sharp pain from a light touch on my skin. Just at the instant of contact, and definitely in the SKIN rather than deeper tissue. It was definitely an "ouch!" and automatic flinch away reaction.

Because of this, if my husband touched my arm and then left his hand there I would only hurt for a second in that one spot.

However, if he tried to stroke down my arm I would have that ouch-and-flinch reaction at each new bit of skin he touched as he stroked.

As you can imagine this was a very difficult symptom to live with, and the first few doctors I went to didn't seem to understand what I was saying when I described it. Or understand how difficult it made my life and relationship. But then that seems to be the way they usually are with fibro symptoms/patients.

However, I finally found a doctor who explained that the skin pain (and also burning pain which I thankfully do not have) are called "nerve pain" and prescribed a medicine called Neurontin. This medicine has helped me A LOT with my skin pain symptom.

I can only imagine how horrible it must be for you living with this for so long.

Maybe it would be good to ask your doctor about Neurontin. (Wow, I'm sounding just like those irritating TV ads --"Ask your doctor if MagicPillNumber3 is right for you!" Sorry.)

Best wishes,
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I also have pain upon scratching sometimes. If I scratch a FM tender point, I just about go through the roof. Some FM sufferers like myself have a condition called neuropathy which causes pain and burning usually on the extremities...legs, feet, arms and hands.

Do you have any free clinics nearby for a free hospital that you can go to, to see a Dr?

I hope the best for you.

4. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

You could go on the Web MD site to read about the trigger point test for FM and have a friend poke you to see if you have them. That is the test the doctors do to DX FM.

I have CFID and FM. My two brothers have MS. There are test to determine MS which I don't have. I don't know of anything you could do at home to determine that DX.

You should go to a public health center for help. That's what they are there for.

Now for the burning pain; I have had the burning pain in my upper legs for about six months. My clothes hurt so I try to wear my night gowns most of the day as they are softer on the skin. I didn't know it was the FM symtom until I read it on anothers post here at this site. Have not read about it as a general symtom of FM in any books or Web sites but others on this site also have it.

Hope I've helped some.

5. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I don't have the sunburned feeling skin but my mom does... or did... someone mentioned Neurontin. Neurontin has done wonders for her burning sensation. She takes 1800 mg a day, a medium-sized dose. If she misses a dose, her feet and legs will start burning again within hours so we know that's what is helping. It's available as a generic - called gabapentin - and is not expensive compared to most drugs.

6. mmadisonfun1

mmadisonfun1 New Member

I really appreciate them. I only have the trigger points sometimes and when the episode was really bad they seemed to all be in full painful trigger point action and I even had some new ones on the backs of my knees. Since then though they are much better like it never happened. So I am confused! Once again thank you for all the responses! I look forward to giving feedback etc. when I find out for sure if it is fibro or not. I just don't want to put a bunch of wrong info if it turns out to be something else! I want to go to a free clinic if I could but I have been to dr and hospital when it was really bad last month and no one would help me. They gave me a 600 mg rx for ibprofen. I will be moving soon so I am hoping I will be able to find someone willing to help there.
  7. jazzypooch

jazzypooch New Member

I have been having that pain for years. I will lightly scratch any area on my body then maybe 15 to 20 seconds later I get a really bad pain as if something bad had just happened where I scratched. The pain is excruciating. It does not happen all the time just sometimes. I do have fibromyalgia also sjorgrens so not sure what it's from. Anyone else with that experience.
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/28/2012</i>]
  8. rickj44

rickj44 Member

This was one of my early symptoms of fibro, it was terrible , my upper body felt like a sunburn, and my legs would burn on occasion , i would wake up burning and i would get out of bed and stand and it would feel better. This went on for years, but i find its better now, i still have the sensitive skin feeling.. try Gabapentin, people seem to have good results with it.
  9. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

When I was my my worst I had an electrical and burning sensation that was throughout my body. Not necessarily when I scratched my skin, but all day long. It felt like someone had stuck me in a light socket. The only thing that helped was lyrica which is very expensive. The nuerontin is much cheaper and should be helpful. &lt;BR&gt;
    I know when I was really bad I could not live without the medication. The burning sensations caused me to not sleep well. I no longer have to take the meds so it did help my most severe symptoms until the side effects got more bothersome and I chose to wean myself off the meds. I am praying that you find a dr that will help you with this.
  10. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I have had electrical pain caused by nerves. The MOST painful thing I have ever experienced. I have never had my skin feel like it is burning to the touch or a delayed reaction of pain or burning. It sounds really awful and I feel for you. Hugs, MicheleK
  11. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

you could try l-theanine to help calm the nerves. Dr's best has a great l-theanine online on prohealths products page. You could also try GABA supplements for sleep. Both of these work on the GABA in the brain similar to the nuerontin. &lt;BR&gt;
    These are very helpful and you can even pick them up a GNC vitamin store, although much cheaper on line. I take the capsules because it is much easier on my stomache. Hopefully these supplements will help you during your stressful time and until you can get under a dr's care. &lt;BR&gt;
    Take care!
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/30/2012</i>]
  12. Hi there, before i was diagnosed with fibro, I thought i was going crazy, my skin hurt and burned 24/7, especially my upper chest and arms, I would just cringe is anyone tried to give me a hug, took my hubby awhile to understand , i couldnt stand for him to touch me, my pain dr put me on a med called Savella about 2yrs ago, and i have to say it has done wonders with the chronic skin hurting and burning, at least 30%, I really hope you can get some medical attention soon, will pray that things will work out for you soon!&lt;BR&gt;
    Take care
  13. jazzypooch

jazzypooch New Member

Thank you very much for all of the information given. I really appreciate it. Also, thanks for the well wishes. Every time I go to the doctor they don't know what it is. Rheumatologist, general practice, dermatologist no one. Nothing I can really do I guess. Just suffer. The good thing is it doesn't happen all the time. Sorry took so long to respond I'm not a techie, couldn't find how to get back on the site.