respiratory function and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by resummer, Dec 29, 2008.

1. resummer

resummer New Member

I have had CFS for 20 years and last year had a severe relapse. I had a lot of trouble breathing and had test that showed reduced lung capacity. With some O2 dropping when walking. I also have low blood pressure and NMH. Has anyone experince problems with breathing?

2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Yes I'm going through the same thing at the moment and my blood pressure is fairly low although at the lower end of normal.

Have you had a CT scan of your lungs and Echo for heart function ?
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Yes, I also have troubles breathing. One of the first things I noticed when I first fell ill was that I couldn't even blow up a balloon anymore (it was a random thing I happened to realize, just a few weeks after getting sick, before I even knew what was wrong). I also have the dysautonomia issues, such as NMH and POTS, as well as things such as chest pains and arrythmias, and sudden feelings like I can't catch my breath even when my O2 stats are normal (?!). Many people with CFIDS/ME experience a sudden urge to lie down--I think this is the body's way of protecting us from what might happen if we continue to stand even though our heart and lungs cannot function properly. Scary stuff! It's always worse in the mornings, for me. For the past four months I haven't been able to stand for the first four hours of being awake because I get lightheaded and can't breathe, even when sitting up, much less trying to walk!
  4. resummer

resummer New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Even thou I know I have NMH, I could never understand why the sitting and standing thing was so bad in the morning. I would try and push my self. It helps me to know that so in the morning I won't try and push myself, also stay more reclined. Thanks again!

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I was the same as you: I know I have this, but what's with my mornings? Someone else had to point it out and then it all made sense. Glad to have helped! One thing that really helps is to take about ten minutes and sit up in bed before you go any further, then sit on the edge of the bed and see how you react. Once you're okay to sit up there, standing will usually be all right. Otherwise we just have to keep sitting back down! A few days ago I ended up flat on my couch after come very close to passing out, so please don't push yourself too hard! It's not good for us. :)

Happy new year!