Response to "How ya doin?"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by finnigan1229, Jan 11, 2006.

1. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I am just curious as to how you answer the question "how ya doin?" If I say OK - they figure nothing is wrong - If I say anything to the negative they respond with something like "sorry to hear that" and walk away or some of the other remarks I just finished reading here. It is really frustrating!!!
  2. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Better than I deserve, because really that is the truth. I stole that line from Dave Ramsey.
  3. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Still above the dirt!

It gets people more comfortable about talking about how i really am!
  4. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I often just smile and say "I'm still hangin' onto the knot!"

Or my Grampas favorite; "Pretty good for the shape I'm in."

Those kind of responses acnowledge the illness you are battleing but keep it light. I think it's important not to overburden the person asking the question if they are just an aquaintence - after all, they were nice enough to ask and not hide around the corner (I've had it happen).
    People just don't know how to act when faced with someone with a chronic illness - I often remind myself that I wouldn't have had any idea what to say either before I got sick with it myself.
    Gretchen

5. sdown

sdown New Member

There's a waiting list for the boneyard right now so Im still here. Or just simply "Not in the boneyard yet". One person I admired who was in the spotlight till his death is Richard Pryor. He had MS and in a wheelchair and he still did stand-up comedy. What a role model! I think if we bring comedy to our answers people will respond better. Everyone needs comic relief whether your sick or not. Im not going to keep any friends at this rate if I dont laugh about all this once in awhile. So some friends I dont discuss it and others just a little. I find when Im with friends and I talk about other things it keeps my mind off how horribly sick I really am.
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

It depends on how well I know the person. If it's a friend, I'm usually honest with them on how I am doing but I sometimes just mention things minimally. So if I'm really exhausted and I feel like ____, I say I'm okay (because I am, I'm not falling apart, yet) and I'm tired. If they ask further, or if we end up talking more I am more revealing about what's going on with me. I don't hide it, but I also don't want people to feel that I am dumping too much information on them.

Usually I try to keep my coworkers more in the loop about how I am doing in case I start feeling worse or end up needing to go home sick so that they understand what's going on (and it doesn't seem like it came out of the blue).

If it's someone I really don't know well (or don't trust or feel comfortable around) I usually just say okay or alright.

I make a point of saying that I'm feeling really good when I am actually feeling good.

7. tandy

tandy New Member

fair to partly cloudy.

but some of the others responses here are hilarious!!
    maybe they're not meant to be funny,...but I sure gotta kick out of em!! thanks for the smiles :)

I just love,...'above the dirt'

How true!!
    Hugs
    Tandy
  8. gnanny

gnanny New Member

more often than not is not really what they want to hear. You know who really wants to know and who doesnt.

You can be in pain without being a pain.

Myself I smile and say Ornery as ever!
  9. jane32

jane32 New Member

I will say it's a good day or it's a bad day.
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

Medium well.
  11. pamsue

pamsue New Member

You are right it is funny , but it is not really funny. I never know what to say to that. I get tired of having to say I feel like poop!!, lol

Maybe someday we will all be able to say great and mean it, wouldn't that be nice?

pamsue
  12. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Right on Pamsue! I agree with you and I also hope that we all feel great soon.