Response to Jan's response to me. Do we all play this silly game

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lindasue, Oct 29, 2002.

1. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Jan,
    Yes, I've done the same thing....not taking the pain pills as I should "just to see if I'm really" sick.....in pain...
    WHAT A DUMMY I AM WHEN I DO THAT ONE......But when I do feel a little better...I think right along with "some" of the "well" world.....IS THIS REALLY JUST IN MY HEAD.....???
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put me in my place and say...."NO linda....IT IS NOT IN YOUR HEAD!!!!!!! You are a pretty sick pup and whether others understand or not...is not YOUR problem....it is their's....and you are still VERY loveable and an important part of the "life" journey......
    Thanks Jan.
    Hugs and hugs
    linda sue
  2. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Jan,
    Yes, I've done the same thing....not taking the pain pills as I should "just to see if I'm really" sick.....in pain...
    WHAT A DUMMY I AM WHEN I DO THAT ONE......But when I do feel a little better...I think right along with "some" of the "well" world.....IS THIS REALLY JUST IN MY HEAD.....???
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put me in my place and say...."NO linda....IT IS NOT IN YOUR HEAD!!!!!!! You are a pretty sick pup and whether others understand or not...is not YOUR problem....it is their's....and you are still VERY loveable and an important part of the "life" journey......
    Thanks Jan.
    Hugs and hugs
    linda sue
  3. JP

JP New Member

thanks for the laugh...and glad to know there are other folks who test the waters...

Enjoy!
    Jan
  4. Myth

Myth New Member

I have tested myself that way as well with unfortunate results. It is the same thing when I think I can exersize, and realize the next day when I am unable to get out of bed, that I cannot. Unfortunately the stigma of 'all in your head' is not likely to disappear. It arises because some mental conditions give rise to psychosomatic symptoms that certainly feel real but are caused by the persons mental state. A person that is severely depressed for instance will have muscle pains and fatigue related to the depression alone. And because doctors have no found a cause for this syndrome there will always be some that resort to the 'all in your head' nonsense. I keep running into doctors like that and it is getting on my nerves- so every time I do I tell them all the chronic conditions I was diagnosed with before I was diagnosed with FMS and ask them if all those unrelated chronic conditions makes more sense than the FMS diagnosis. My father (FMS sufferer) recently had a nervous breakdown, and now he has doctors claiming that he may not have FMS after all, that it may be simply stress related and 'all in his head', which is what doctors told him ten years ago! Regardless of some people and some doctors say we should not doubt that we are ill- I have tried to pretend I am not for years and that has not worked out so well.
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

sometimes it is so hard not to doubt ourselves. Especially when you listen to what some doctors write about FM and the bad reputation it has gotten from some of these ignorant doctors who think they know everything. I still find myself trying to "sugarcoat" my symptoms. I tell very few people that I have Fibromyalgia. Too many times I have seen the rolling of the eyes, then they become glazed, you can just darned near read their mind. Good thing they can't read mine though. I wish them all to some day spend just one 24 hour period in our shoes on a bad day, then tell me it is just in our heads or because we are depressed.

I feel so very fortunate that I found this message board, before this I really felt very alone.

I had a good example just a couple of weeks ago about how some people view this DD. My sister and I went to visit our cousins for a couple of days. Well, we were kept pretty busy the first day, on the second day I literally could not get out of bed. Her answer to all of this was I needed to get up and stand in a hot shower and then I'd be ready to get dressed and go shopping for the day. Like I haven't tried that yet. I have worked all my life until last November when I had to take a leave of absence. I think there are some people who think I have done this because I just don't feel like working anymore. Oh how wrong they are, mentally I am finding it very hard not to be working and out there a part of the working class, not working makes me feel as if I am not contributing not only to my own financial well being but to the community. All the excuses and denials I have received from LTD and SSD have most certainly added to my feelings of hopelessness and doubting myself.

Sorry I have rambled on but there are days it would be so much easier to just go to sleep and not wake up. No, I'm not suicidal, just sick and tired of always being sick and tired.

Dara
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

MOst of us are sick and tired of being sick and tired! I went out to eat and to a bookstore, two days in a row. Let me tell you, I was in the bed for two days now for that little excursion! Both days I was not gone longer than four hours, and half of the time I was sitting in a restaurant in a confortable booth!

But the effort of getting dressed, doing hair and a little makeup, takes so much energy! When I am finished getting ready to go, I need a nap. What a mess we are.

I promised myself the next person or persons that tell me its 'all in my head', that I will punch them out, it would be worth the few days in the bed just to get even with them!

I also hate the one that goes; 'Why, you don't look sick!', well I learn how to respond to that one, I tell them 'my looks are not my problem', its my body that hurts.

Take care ladies, and don't let the 'normals' get you down, we all have to live with something that is disagreeable, it happens to be FM/CFS for us, but sooner or later everyone gets something that is wrong with them.

I have a friend that has diabetes, she thinks I am as healthy as a horse.

Shalom, Shirl

7. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Hey Folks!!!!!These people don't have ANY idea what I looked like before I took.....God only knows how long now..2 hrs. maybe to just be able to go out and not scare the kids!!!!!!!! And just as you all have said...by the time I've gotten ready to go..........I don't have the "GO" TOO go anymore......
    For me, when I go out the front door these day's I just try and look like I'm not homeless.......that I do go to the dentist (teeth are clean and not falling out.YET....My hair and the rest of me doesn't have some disgusting odor..and I am fully dressed....hopefully everything matches! Then I'm out the door and back within 3 hrs. max!!!!
    SO WHEN SOMEONE SAYS "YOU DON'T LOOK SICK" I JUST SAY....WHAT THE HELL DOES LOOKING SICK HAVE TO DO WITH WHAT IS GOING ON INSIDE MY BODY!!!!!! We have to remember...this is a world of "what's on the OUTSIDE is what counts".....um.....example, Victoria's Secret, etc.
    Well, I'm NOT ugly by far and I still turn a few heads in a positive way........BUT I'M SICK !!!!! Very, very sick!!!

But through all of this I want to say that the gift from this illness is being a part of this support board!!!!!
    You all have been just soooo great....We laugh together and we cry together....Let's just go ahead and CELEBRATE "US" together!!!!!!
    Here's to US!!
    Love & hugs,
    Linda Sue
  8. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

TYPICALLY I FINE MYSELF TRYING TO FINE OUT WHAT IS ALL IN THERE HEAD AND THEN PLAY BY THERE RULES DOCS ARE READY FOR ANY NUMBER OF TRICKS THAT I MIGHT GIVE OUT AND WHO IS TO BLAME SOMEONE LIKE THAT? BUT I AM TIRED OF THE LINE IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD ESP. WHEN IT IS RIGHT THERE IN PAPER
  9. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

"If you just would get going in the morning, that is your problem, you sit around all day and watch the news, that is bound to depress anyone, just get out the door and do something"

Yes, I sometimes try to act well, sometimes I decide to not do the muscle relaxer or my ultram, a month or so ago I decided I did not need my zoloft, I guess I like to learn everything the hard way.

Jaci