Restarting Book Club: how many interested?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

After a nasty six-month relapse, I'm doing a little better and was thinking about starting Book Club again. For newbies who are interested, we suggest titles and then vote on a monthly book, read it, and then chat about the book on a thread that I post during the last week of the month. Anything goes: fiction, non-fiction, pop fiction, classics, plays, trashy novels, poetry. The idea is to share the love of reading and have some fun. And where else can you join a club from your Posturepedic or Lazy Boy?

Until my relapse, Book Club ran for about 26 months. If you want to be in, just say "I'm in!" and you're automatically a member. I put books on hold at the library from my computer and rarely buy them.

It's a very laid-back club: open to anybody, books that don't take superhuman concentration to get through, and enjoyable discussions, with digressions allowed.

For those that don't know me, I'm a former teacher from New Mexico, with severe ME/CFS. I
    used to be an English teacher (don't let that intimidate you!), mountain climber, and outdoor enthusiast. I taught college-bound Navajo students for over a decade. Like a number of people on here, I'm from Minnesota originally. Luckily, this DD hasn't kept me from the world of books and movies. But I've missed hanging out with friends on here.

[<i>This Message was Edited on 01/29/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

We've missed you too. Our book club kinda fell apart without you though Rosie did her best
    to keep it going. Anyhoo I am delighted to see you feel up to getting back on the board.

I thought of you the other day when I found a site where you could hear the call of the common
    loon, the MN state bird. I heard it in Minnesota but only once, when I was working in
    Walker, way up north on Leech Lake.

I am definitely in.

Just finished reading The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney. It is a woman's book. Four women
    belong to an informal group. Each takes turns narrating the story. The only flaw in the book
    is the predictable one. Every chapter sounds like it was written by the same person.

I have some books on hold for me at the library. One is a soft-cover reprint of Marge's
    Little Lulu. The original comics that I read in my childhood would be too valuable to actually read.
    Illustrating how standards have fallen, these reprinted comics are labeled "Graphic Novel".

Just finished the biography of Ogden Nash. Am reading the letters of Noel Coward and an
    Edgar Award thriller by Steven Womack.

Haven't got the energy to go to the library today. (It's all of three blocks away.) Maybe tomorrow.

3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

count me in!!

4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Count me in too!

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Glad to see you back on the board!,,,My youngest girl has me reading the Twilight Series,,,,I'ts pretty good have to admit!,,,,trying to get through the first book as of now,,,,,i'm such a slow reader when it comes to books,,,,trying to change that!,,,,anyway it's nice to have you back among us!,,,,,Montana Sis
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

count me in too