RESTLESS leg syndrome advice, w/o meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boltchik, Dec 15, 2006.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I have restless leg syndrome. It occurs about once a week. So, I don't really want to be on meds for it. But when it is bad, it is so hard to get back to sleep. I usually have to get up in the middle of the night and take a hot shower to get rid of it. And then sometimes, it still returns. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  2. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

I tried going without meds but mine got to the point where the symptoms were nonstop, even during the day just sitting in a chair or riding in a car. My dr. put me on Klonopin first but then another said she'd rather I take Requip which I'm on now and it works well for me.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

in my book about rls they say to lay down and move your feet up and down kinda fast for like a minute this works with me most of the time good luck charlene
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I find mine gets HORRIBLE if I have ANY dairy products that day. Even a couple mouthsful of my husbands ice cream and my legs will be antsy as hell.
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi boltchik - Sorry you are having to suffer with RLS. I take Klonopin .5mg and it still wakes me up. It drives me crazy because I can't go back to sleep.

Some members here have had luck with using soap and you are suppose to use Pure Soap (Ivory Soap) and place it at the bottom of your feet but underneath your bottom sheet.

I have heard putting full strength apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and saturating legs takes away the jerking.

I hope you find relief soon.

Carolin
  6. code34me

code34me New Member

If you can ask you doc to check your Feriton levels it might help. It is a blood test it is not routine. My doc checked mine and it was very low. She has me taking iron 2 times a day now and RLS has greatly decreased!'

She says low Feriton levels in many studies have RLS as a symtom. Just FYI

Codey
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Chris 3251-If my symptoms get more frequent I will ask my dr. about the klonopin. I tolerate it well and have used it for anxiety before. Thanks!

Charlene-Thanks for the advice, I am thinking more leg exercise might help.

elliespad-too bad you have problems with dairy, I don't know if I do, but I could probably cut back on caffeine.
    Thanks!

Ouch-I have never heard of quinine water, what is it? Thanks!

Carolin-Thank you, I have heard of the soap trick, but not the vinegar spray, interesting! Sorry you are having such a hard time with RLS.

Skeesix and Codey-regarding minerals. I should have my blood levels checked again, it's been since August. If my dr. tested for some of the specific things you both mentioned, it might help to find out where my deficiencies are. Thank you both!

8. MelaC

MelaC New Member

My doctor told me to get up and walk when it is bad. Magnesium is also good as is quinine.
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

Quinine water is called Tonic Water, sold as a "mixer" for alcoholic drinks. Located next to sodas.
  10. moosedog37

moosedog37 New Member

I find sleeping on something "fuzzy," that has lots of small tendrils, actually helps the RLS a little. (Don't remember where I read this but it works.) I have a really severe case round the clock and so am on meds, too. But sleeping on a flannel sheet or, even better, directly on a sheepskin, helps.

Moosedog
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for all of your help. I will definitely try out some of these remedies! Wishing you all a good night's sleep! Kim :)