Restless leg syndrome and FM treatment???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MPearce, May 1, 2007.

1. MPearce

MPearce New Member

Has anyone been treated for Restless Leg syndrome with medication I think it's called Requip or something similar to that? I was wondering if that helped the FM symptoms. Had a very restless night with my legs and wondering if anyone has both like me and took medication and got relief.
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I also have FMS and restless legs syndrome (along with a few other health issues). Yes, the medication you are talking about is called Requip. I have seen the commercials about it.

My doctor has been on 4 mg. of Gabitril. I take it about an hour before bedtime and it really works for me. It's a medication to control seizures in epilepsy, but it also works off-label for the restless legs.

I know others have mentioned another medication on here that works for RLS, but I can't think of the name of it. I would definitely look into something. I know what an awful feeling the RLS is and how it can disturb your sleep. I get the creepy crawlies.

Good luck.

Ellen
  3. jennbug

jennbug New Member

I have not tried Requip but Iam on Mirapex it is a Parkinsons medication. It stopped my legs instantly. Also the pain of FM is reduced about 80% I have been pretty happy with the results :)
    jenn.
  4. bljnebraska

bljnebraska New Member

I also have restless legs and FMS. I've never liked taking medication so I've never looked into anything for my restless legs. The FMS drugs are enough. Glad you asked the question and am thankful for the responses. Perhaps I'll take the plunge and do something about it. I hate wandering the house at night.
  5. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i had requip and it made me sick to my stomach. i can't take it. i know this sounds weird but a pharmisist(sp) told me to use benadryl and tylonol together and it does work!! i have been dx with rls but i think my daughter has it she has not been to dr. yet. i tried to get her to try it and didn't but she got desperate one night and had her hubby go buy the benadryl to go with her tylonol and said hey you were right it works. hope it works for you. i have a million meds (rx) and do not need anymore so i use this. so give it a try.
    glenda
  6. mezombie

mezombie Member

Mirapex works well for RLS and FM, and has been around longer than Requip. I take Mirapex for RLS and it really helps. I no longer have FM so I can't personally vouch for it's effect on that. But several months ago a lot of people with FM posted on how much better they felt on Mirapex.

I asked my doctor about Requip. He said it works the same way as Mirapex. I think we're being overly influenced my all of those TV ads on Requip! And I bet Mirapex is cheaper, too.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]