Restless leg syndrome-Best Medication?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Apr 20, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

My legs are driving me crazy at night!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for medicine or supplements or natural-anything that might help????
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Absolutely Hands down--the best med I have found is klonopin. Mine have completely quit! There were quite severe, and my arms were doing the same thing, my head and trunk then became involved. Mikie the Moderator suggested Klonopin to me--and it has been a godsend. I spent many nites, the duration, jerking and it becoming painful after hours, of that activity. I tried natural herbs and supps, and many rx'es...and finally the klonopin did the trick! I believe it is Dr. Chaney that has articles on the benefits of klonopin (clonezepam, generic) as we with FM have Mini seizure states, and this is part of the short circuitry. It has also improved many of my other neural symtpoms such as racing mind before sleep (inability to fall asleep), 20 wake ups a nite (inability to stay asleep) I now wake up 0-1 times nightly. Sensory overload is gone, and I believe it improves my cognitive functions as well.
    Best wishes,
    LL
    LL
  3. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

klonipin is the only thing that has helped my rls. I have had it for about 32 years and finally got help just a few years ago.
  4. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i found taking 20 mg amitriptyline to take restless leg away no problem.and i sure don't miss it!
    good luck
  5. marta

marta New Member

I took Klonopin and found it to be immensely helpful for RLS but I had so much hair loss that vanity won out and I quit taking it. RLS is a big problem for me though.

What is amitriptyline? Is there another name for it?

Marta
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

My Neurologist gave me the anti-Parkinson's drug Mirapex. I take 50mg. 3 times a day and the RLS is completely gone. If I miss a dose I go right back to kicking field goals from a sitting position, while I'm awake. I even had RLS when I was awake. Now something odd is happening. If I fall asleep in my chair for about a half hour, when I wake up I get the RLS. Too strange!
  7. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi. I had a sleep study done and boy do I ever have restless leg! The Dr said I kicked all night and never reached a restful sleep. I was on Zanaflex which helps, it is a muscle relaxer. However, I found I still woke frequently during the night. I am now taking Klonopin, which is an anti- anxiety, anti- seizure medication and I feel I am doing better with this. My nervousness and overall tension during the day is not as bad either.
    Whatever you decide to take DO NOT take any over the counter sleep meds. They contain anti-hystamines which will make your legs dance all night. Hope I have helped!!!!!
  8. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Hardly ever have that problem now, it was pretty bad.
  9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Klonopin, cheap, effective. Neurontin, expensive, effective. I am on both. The neurontin has the added benefit for me of reducing my pain threshold and reducing migraine frequency.
    Patient assistance programs are a BIG help!
    Tibbie