Restless Leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, May 18, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I read the post from fivesue regarding the Restless Legs. The posts there were very informative and I learned very much. I thought I had RLS but I suppose I have something different. My legs get VERY fidgity, feet, and arms, hands. I just CANT be still. I never know when this is going to hit. However, there is no pain, just want to jump out of my skin; just almost go crazy. I have to take a valium and just wait (the minutes seem like hours) until all is calm.

Does anyone know what this may be?

Is this why I have the valium??? DUH!!! I'm supposed to be taking 3 a day but only take as needed, which is when this happens.

Would appreciate ANY information/advice/opinions.

Thank you all so much,

BlueSky555
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

I have this too. I thought that what you describd was restless legs. I get very fidgity and restless sometimes, drives me crazy.

Kriket
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

To me it is fidgety, antsy, want to stretch, want to overextend the muscle, shake it, or PLEASE just go to sleep. It may or may not be accompanied by much pain. But, if my pain in worse, usually the Restlessness is worse. It's usually worse in the legs, but could also be in arms or neck. And again, DAIRY DEFINATELY makes it UNBEARABLE.
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have it, and get crawly's. Translates to periodic limb movement during sleep.

Doc put me on Requip which made my feet burn.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you discussed this with your doctor? I know that there are meds out to help with RLS.

Also, have you tried putting the unwrapped bar of soap under your bottom sheet -- or just on top of the sheet between your legs while you sleep? It is supposed to work -many people swear by it!

You can't use a soap with a lot of moisturizing cream in it, like Dove, Olay, etc.
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

What is this supposed to do? Never heard of it till now.

Kriket
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I'm bumping this to learn more about the soap; never heard of this but very willing to try it.

BlueSky555
  8. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Hi everyone! I don't have this problem, ran across the case studies from a book I am reading by Dr. Ray Strand.

As follows...Restless Legs Syndrome

The restless legs syndrome (RLS) can affect anyone but is commonly seen in middle-aged women. It is characteristically a feeling of light sensations, which are usually described as a creepy, crawly feeling deep within the calves of the legs and sometimes the thighs. This feeling is only relieved by movement. The problem is the fact that this usually occurs just as you are trying to fall asleep and significantly disrupts your sleep. In fact, some patients have significant leg movements during sleep, which can cause them to wake up or bother their spouse, if they are married. Even though the majority of these cases are inherited, the restless legs syndrome may be the result of an iron deficiency anemia, folic acid deficiency, or diabetic neuropathy. This problem can wax and wane but over time can become a significant sleep disorder. Certain medications may be prescribed for this problem; however, nutritional supplementation may also help. Obviously, this needs to be evaluated and followed by a physician. You need to rule out any underlying deficiencies or disease processes that could cause this problem. I always like my patients on nutritional supplementation because they may note significant improvements in their problem. Folic acid needs to be part of this regime along with iron, if they have an iron deficiency anemia. I also find that my patients improve with the use of a good calcium and magnesium supplement, which they need to take just before bedtime.

Take care,
    usanagirl
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I want to thank you for that information. It sounds exactly like what I have and I have had iron deficiencies, not too long ago. It's so unbelievable that we can post a topic on the board and someone will respond with so much information.

VERY much appreciated!

BlueSky555
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

This drives me crazy sometimes. I had it in my classroom the other day so I put some hand lotion on my legs. A little while later, still had it.
    And I noticed one of my students was kind of stomping his feet, scratching his legs and moving them back and forth. I said lets go for a little walk.
    We walked to the other side of the school, got a coke and some animal crackers, went outside to get some sun and took the long way back to the classroom.
    It helped us tolerate it till the end of school.
    Now when he gets it, I let him go check my mail, pick up computer paper, take the long way to the bathroom, get me a coke.
    I truly sympathize with him.
  11. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

oh my gosh!! what you wrote...it's ME TOO!!!

i've posted before about restless leg syndrome and how i felt i have 'restless body syndrome'!!!!

it is AWFUL, UNBEARABLE at times. i need to lay on the floor, stretching, slowly moving, just for some relief. a few times it took an hour of this to feel better.

i never know when it'll strike either. once in a while i use one of those 'noodles' for pool toys. you can get them at any dollar store. i place that under my lower back when i'm stuck on the floor and 'roll it' a bit.

nobody has ever hit the nail on the head like your post. NOW i feel connected cuz at least i know this is commonplace as well.

does it occur mostly in the eves for you? it does me.
  12. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hi, I used to get this really badly when I first 'crashed'. I take Calcium and about 600-800 mg of Magnesium and that helps a lot. I take an iron supplement every few days and that REALLY helps; in fact if I start feeling the RLS I can take an iron pill and it usually takes care of it within an hour or so. As a last resort I take 1/2 a Xanax and that always works.
    I mentioned the iron a while ago at the doctors office and he said casually "oh yeah, the 'metal' minerals often help". I thought "well, you s*%&, why didn't you tell me that when I had such a hard time with it?" Doctors! I have heard a B vitamin supplement can help sometimes too.
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

BlueSky, the RLS I was having has pretty much disappeared since I began taking magnesium, calcium and potassium (separate) in capsules. I'd been taking tablets and I think we don't digest hard tablets well. Try capsules or liquid in all the supplements you take and you'll be amazed how much difference this makes.

Marta
  14. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you all for the information. Yes, kimfibro, I have it more in the evenings but do have it in the mornings sometimes as well. It is in the calf of my legs as well; don't think I mentioned that.

I will get out of my chair and do the little "toe-ups" kinda like the sit-ups. Stand and raise up on toes, up and down. That's about all I can do except walk and of course walking helps also.

Thank you all!

BlueSky555
  15. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I get mild yet annoying RLS ocassioanly, and what helps me is to take a shower then apply moisturizing lotion to legs.
    Also I feel like my sheets must be really clean! Sounds like magnesium (and maybe calcium, and potassium) help alot of people. It was interesting to read everyones way of describing their RLS. I call it "zingy legs".

good luck!