Restless Leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mshonda400ex, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

I was wondering how many people have restless leg syndrome on here? I have had this problem long before I was diagnosed with FMS. I can remember having as early as 8 years old. My mother always told me it was "growing pains". Too bad for me I am still "growing". My main symptom is I can't keep my legs still and they ache. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to go to sleep when I have an "episode". I tried taking Requip but had terrible side effects so I quit taking immediatley. What symptoms have you had with requip and restless leg?
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I only started experiencing RLS a couple years ago and I also get restless in my arms and wrists. It never really became a huge issue until the past few weeks.

There are several threads on RLS and Soap. It suppose to work by placing a bar of pure Ivory soap at the foot of your bed but underneath your bottom sheet. Alot of members say it works but I haven't tried it yet.

I use Klonopin ODT .05mg and it has worked but I am thinking maybe my dose needs to be increased because my RLS is really causing me to lose alot of sleep because I have to get up and take meds but by this time I am so awake I can't go back to sleep.

Hope you find relief soon.

Carolin
  3. Irejean

Irejean New Member

I have RLS and have just about the same symptons you do.
    However I take Requip & Neurontin at bedtime. Most of the time it works but there are nights that I wake up with that "creepy, crawly" feeling in my legs. There are many dosages of Requip. Maybe if you take a lower dose?
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I developed RLS after coming down with CFS. At least, I didn't notice any problems before. Most of my RLS happens while I'm sleeping, according to a sleep study I had.

I often start to get this uncomfortable achy and crawling feeling in my legs in the evening. They literally spasms. I also can't keep them still.

I've had a lot of sucess with Mirapex, especially now that I've played around with the dosage and the timing. I take .125 mg Mirapex around 6-7 pm, and another .25 mg at bedtime. It really helps calms down the spasms. And I get a good night's sleep, so it's helping with that, as well.

You might want to try it. It has a longer track record than the relatively new Requip.

Good luck!
  5. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I have had RLS since I was a small child, just thought it was normal. I finally complained about it to my doctor about 8 years ago and this is what we decided on to treat it:

I take .5 mg Klonopin at bedtime (this helps my FMS too)

The other thing I take is a drug that has been around forever and is normally used to treat Parkinson's: It is called Sinemet or Carbidopa/Levodopa. I take a 25/100 at bedtime every night. It is also inexpensive compared to Requip or the other new drugs.

It is basically dopamine (which is good for FMS anyway) It has been said that it loses its effectiveness in time but I haven't experienced that. It pretty much works for me all the time (sometimes I will wake in the middle of the night and have to take another one). There is also an extended release version of the same drug.

Talk it over with your doctor, maybe it would help you too.

Non-drug things that help me are:

Never allow my legs to get cold during the day. I sometimes wear longjohns under my jeans (and I live in Calif !)

Take a bath in HOT water

Wear long wool socks to bed

Never go barefoot

Electric blanket or heating pad

Magnesium/Calcium supplements

Hope you get some relief.

Lynna
  6. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i have restless legs and i have to take klonopin i have requip and it helps my legs so much but it makes me sick to my stomach. i think taht the RLS is worse until i feel like throwing up so when that happens ang my legs are ok that feels worse so i don't take requip and then my legs are worse it is a viscous (spelling) cycle.

glenda