Restless Leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Anyone else suffer from it? It don't happen with me every night, but noticing it increasing recently, like 2-3 times weekly. Anyone have any help on relief from this restless leg syndrome, I have suffered with it since young. Can't sleep again tonight, and I need some sleep.
  2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Anyone else suffer from it? It don't happen with me every night, but noticing it increasing recently, like 2-3 times weekly. Anyone have any help on relief from this restless leg syndrome, I have suffered with it since young. Can't sleep again tonight, and I need some sleep.
  3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I don't know if you are into taking meds or the herby remedies.
    My doctor gave me Klonopin 2mg for restless leg syndrome. It works great. And it really helps me sleep. I don't wake up during the night anymore, no more tossing and turning, and no more leg/arm/head jerks! Some nights, if I feel I have a lot of my mind, stress, etc., I'll take 1 1/4 - 1 1/2. It's a strong drug. My doc worked me up starting with 1/4 for a week, to 1/2 for a week, to 3/4 for a week to finally a whole pill. He said it's ok to take up to 1 1/2 now. Good luck. Hope you get some relief soon.

Regina :)
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

Before I learned about all the things that go with FM that are not actually pain, I just thought I was a nervous nelly . My hubby would actually lay his legs over mine in the bed to keep them still. I'm on zanaflex and elavil at night now, and it's helped quite a bit.
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have it, but have never been prescribed anything for it. The doc I work with has many pts with it on Klonopin with very good results & some on Quinine, which is for leg cramps & they also have good results. I'm afraid to take any meds. dolsgirl
  6. Wuame

Wuame New Member

I used to have it a lot, but since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple years ago and started using a C-PAP machine for breathing when I sleep, I've not had it much anymore, unless I nap without it.

Wuame

7. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I am sort of new to all of this and I keep getting more and more new symptoms. I started with the Restless Leg thing while on vacation in CT. My husband and I were sleeping on a Queen bed instead of our normal King. Every morning he would complain I was kicking and jerking all night. I went to the doctor while on vacation and he gave me Klonapin. It has worked great for me.
    Good Luck
    Cindy
  8. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I just had a rls nite last nite! It is not pain, but twitching legs for me. I lay down and I can immediately tell if it is going to happen. I get this crawling feeling, not strong, in my leg. I have never gotten rls in both legs at once. Only one leg one nite. Last nite it was the right leg. Anyway it starts from my foot and works its way up to my hip and I have to jerk, twitch, move, get up, walk, something, anything but lay there. I have gotten up and walked the floors before. It is pure H*ll! I have noticed if I take a med such as benedryl or other that causes drowiness, then 95% of the time I will get a RLS nite. Last nite I took a tylenol 3 w/codine and a few hours later a darvaset. Boom-restless leg. I hate it~!
  9. froggy

froggy New Member

it is the pit's- I have it and now after almost 2 yrs. of telling the Dr's they have put me on Klonopin .5mg just started it a week ago and last night was the first night that I didn't have all the jerking and twitching-it was great-I used to walk the floors till I dropped to get any relief- talk to your Dr. and be tuff about it- this is something that we should not have to be worried about with all the other things this DD's give us to deal with. there is a web site, tells yya all about it- if you type in your search site- Restless Legs- it will bring up alot of site's- read all you can on it and talk with your doc.

Peace & Love Jan
  10. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I used to have the problem on a daily and nightly basis, whether sitting or laying down. And it kept both my hubby and me awake at night because of the constant motion. It was miserable!

Over the last several weeks, I have noticed some relief though since taking the ZMA at night. All my nerves and muscles seem to become very quiet with that vitamin compound and the sleep has been wonderful, sound, and refreshing. I also bought a fat featherbed mattress topper for my side of our bed (we have a Cal-King). That has added so much more to my overall comfort that I move very little now during the night and fall asleep so much more quickly and soundly. I wake up with almost no stiffness or pain on most days now.

Perhaps adding these types of things might help give you a little relief, at least during the night. I do still experience some RLS symptoms during the day, but they do not seem to occur as often now. Maybe the nighttime benefits are carrying over for me -- I can only hope so.

Gentle hugs. :)
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

When I couldnt fall asleep because of it, I looked it up, did some search. And yes found that Klonopin..sp. brings relief. I get the urge to have to move my legs, it starts in the upper part, thigh, works its way down, I pace, walk it off. Then finally fall asleep somewhere like a chair when totally exhausted. It affects me the next day, I have to sleep in a couple hours. Today its chilly out, raining, drizzling, and now have increased pain in my legs. I want to sleep more, but just cant fall asleep.

I appreciate all the advice, and am going to take it too!

12. PMangels

PMangels New Member

and it is anaaaawwwwful feeling!!! I get it in bed or just sitting. I litterly have to get out of bed when it comes on. I'm taking mirapex and I still get it some.

Arlene

RLS is not pain for me either. It is the jerking/twitching and the need to move my legs...like getting up to walk or massage them.[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
  13. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Althought I didn't know what it was at the time, I have had RLS since I was in my 20's (40 years ago). I can be sitting, standing, laying, whatever and when it hits it is instant horrible pain. I can't walk, sit, stand or lay. One of the things that will help in addition to a pain pill is a hot shower or going in my hot tub. The hot tub relieves most of the pain while I am in it. Sometimes the pain comes back and sometimes it doesn't. Havne't tried konopin yet. Have doc appt end of this month.....will ask her about it. Take care and feel better. Hugz, Jenn
  14. Gammie

Gammie New Member

I was diagnosed w/ RLS last year. This, of course, was after years of suffering w/ it. Actually, it was due to my precious granddaughter who was only 1 1/2 at the time! She was having major sleeping problems and her mother suspected she may have sleep apnea. They took her for a sleep study and it was found she had RLS. My daughter (who KNOWS how much I've suffered with this becasue she does too) immediately brought me several phamplets from the hopsital. I couldn't believe my eyes when I began reading that there was actually a diagnosis for what I was experiencing. I had been fighting this for years. I can't tell you how many times I would get up out of bed and go soak in a hot tub of water. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a night. I was water logged!LOL There were times I would fall asleep in the tub because I was SO exhausted. After my soak, I'd massage my legs and powder them, crawl my way back to bed - half asleep, slip under the cool sheets - barely awake and convinced that I would just pass out - only to start the process all over again! I tried EVERYTHING! Tension/release; relaxation w/ tapes, heating pads, ice packs, get up and "walk if off", etc. By the time it was time to get up for work, I was often releived that the night was over! I was exhausted and sleep deprived, but at least that one aspect of the torment was over. I've had it happen on long airplane flights (nightmare! can't get out and walk), car trips, or just sitting around at home. I immediately brought these phamplets to my doctor and he agreed my problem was RLS and prescribed Neurotrin. It really helped.
    The research shows it's hereditary... so far we've got 3 generations going!
    God Bless!
    Gammie

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
  15. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

For me it is a pain pill and rub legs with icy hot but sometimes that doesn't help but then a hot bath with the jets do.
    Ann
  16. kadywill

kadywill New Member

hate it.....I think I want one of those "racks" used in torture chambers to stretch my limbs as far as they can be stretched before I'm actually drawn and quartered! Heat, pills, epsom salts baths, icy hot massage, and stretches have helped, but "the rack" may be my answer!!! lol
    Sorry to be flippant, but I know of nothing else to do. I have to say that, coincidentally, my RLS isn't quite as severe since I d/c'd the Nutrasweet and caffeine. No clue as to whether it's related!!!

Love and stretches,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2002]
  17. Wuame

Wuame New Member

Hmmm, I also take Neurontin, started a little before I got on the C-PAP I think. Maybe that's helping also. We're all different, but I hope we can all find some relief from this.

Wuame
  18. Dots

Dots New Member

I have it, I also have sleep apnea and now Im using the C Pap machine.This has helped a little,I wake myself up some times with my legs jumpping. Dot
  19. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thanks to all who responded to this thread, its helped with not feeling so alone with this problem.

I will check more into the meds described, do more research into it also.

20. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

It was good for me to read this thread of replies too.
    Just this past 6-8 weeks, my fibro sx have begun including my lower half, ie: hip pain mostly. Now, my legs feel crawly and crampy at bedtime, mostly. Though I've heard a little bit about RLS, I didn't used to experience the symptoms.

I am self diagnosed with fibro. Was recently wondering if I had made up my diagnosis. Guess I had been going through a good period. Then about 6 weeks ago, my left hip began hurting chronically, including lots of stiffness in the AM. My legs also began cramping when I'd sit in an odd position, like legs folded up under me. Now I have been experiencing "restless leg syndrome"? Maybe so.

Well, thanks again, Sunshyne for posting on this topic. Looks like I'm learning something new for myself too.

I want so bad to wake up on morning and realize that I HAVE made up my symptoms and I don't have this DD at all.

One thing that has changed for me is that once I discontinued Phys. Therapy, about 6-8 weeks ago, my workouts decreased. Now my exercise is walking, though no light weights or hot tubs anymore. Perhaps I have another answer for myself. Pretty coincidental. Thanks for listening all of you great friends.

Take Good Care, .......... Jill