RESTLESS LEGG SYDROME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suave, Feb 14, 2006.

1. suave

suave New Member

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT EXACTLY THIS IS. I THINK I HAVE IT BECAUSE WHEN I GO TO BED I ALWAYS HAVE TO BE MOVING MY LEGGS AROUND UNTIL I FALL ASLEEP. FMS IN PAIN TODAY AND BURNING PAIN ALL OVER.REN
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

It's difficult to explain. It's like an ancy feeling starting in my lower back that makes me NEED to move or stretch my legs for relief. It gets bad at night or when I've been riding in a car. And it is worse after I've been exercising.

Sometime my legs will just cramp up. (this was especially bad during pregnancy.)

Is that kind of what you're experiencing?

I have actually had some relief from acupuncture. I was very skeptical but it seems to have helped.

Sofia
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Generally as soon as you sit or lie down to relax, your legs feel like they have to move.
    There is a creepy, crawly feeling.
    There is a supplement called SAM-E that helps with this, there is also aprscription drug, I forget the name.
    Some people say it feels like little electric currents.
    Hopr that helps a little.
    Claudia
  4. blkkat

blkkat New Member

my husband says yours sounds like him. and quianine helped him and had to only take it for a few months. the leg part that is. he doesnt get burning. me i have 24/7 burning,buzzing,sharp pain BUT at night oh my gosh my legs its like BUGS CRAWLING under my skin DRIVES me CRAZY!!!! i take klonopin(clonazepam) is the generic. bugs are gone and can SLEEP now !!! i also take neurontin for tingling in legs. HUGS! good luck! hope this helps! MONA
  5. Megumi

Megumi New Member

<My restless leg feels like spasms. It's a wierd feeling. I can feel the spasm coming on, growing and then my legs jerk. I get it from being over-tired, sitting too long, or from my legs being too warm between pjs and the blankets.

The best solution I have found is a bar of soap under the sheet by my legs. I don't know why this works but have proven it too myself too many times not too. Do a search of 'bar of soap' for more posts about it.

Restless leg, fm pain, burning sensation....hello flare.

Hope you feel better soon.
  6. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

* slow stretching first.
    lie on your side, on the edge of bed (length wise)and pull/tuck- one knee up and then gently swing other leg over.(don't fall off bed).
    Push your hip a little and gently twist until you hear a tiny few "pop" sounds from your spine.
    **also- rub the bottom of your feet as hard as you can, pushing your knuckle into the foot. You will find your sore spots and put as much pressure on the area, as you can endure.(better yet, ask your favorite person to rub your feet)
    ** if all else fails, take a valium if you can.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2006]
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

where I had to get up and walk, it was so bad. But I've been on Mirapex for several years now, and that really controls it. Mine is a chronic condition, so I always take it and never run out. No side effects either- it's great.
  8. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My three year old daughter just started a treatment for restless legs. I mentioned it to the her doctor because she kicks all night long. My whole family was losing sleep because of her symptoms. She would beg for me to rub her legs at night. She said they felt like bugs were crawling up and down her legs.

My daughter is very active during the day! No symptoms at all during daytime hours. At bedtime she starts kicking her legs just as soon as she falls asleep. She doesn't do this very much while awake.

She would be so tired all day long that her Dr. said she would be tired until she slept normally at night.
  9. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

about "kickers".

medical tests show we are lacking calcium too.
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I didn't know a 3 year old could get restless leg, but anything's possible. I hope her new treatment will help...it's awful for her not to get her rest. Let me know how she does! Terri
  11. krayon

krayon New Member

Hi all!

I also suffer from restless legs but I also

have " restless " arms .I get the same exact

feeling in my arms. Just wondering if anyone else

had this too ?

Also my 3yr. old also suffers restless leg and has

since she was very little. This was something we

just figured out monthes ago, because she could

not tell us. Feel so helpless when it hits her.

I too have heard of the soap thing but have not

tried it... but I will now .

~ * smiles * ~

karen
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I have both restless legs and arms. My doctor put me on Gabitril for it and it has helped a lot. I know others on here have been on other medications for this.

Ellen
  13. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I read somewhere that Iron helps and I tried it. It helps! Just don't overdo it as it is toxic in large amounts. Magnesium helps and if I can't control it with those, which is very rare now I take a half a Xanax pill.
    Oh, and yes it does get worse during a flare so pay attention to your body.

Gretchen
  14. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My daughter's symptoms started out with her just kicking and waking herself up with it. We (My hubby and I) didn't think anything of it until she started saying her legs hurt. I was worried because I have FMS and my legs were my first pains. She is sleeping better now with the medicine. She doesn't need a nap during the day and she is full of energy. She does still complain while falling asleep that her legs hurt. I spend about 25 minuttes rubbing them before she is asleep. She is back in her bed and doesn't wake up at night anymore.
    Angela
  15. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

My arms and legs have been this way a long time, I've told people about it and they thought I was crazy, I've used my poor moist heating pad to death, putting it on my leg then on my arm then back on the other leg and so on and so forth until I'd finally fall asleep from sheer exhaution.
    But since a nurse told me about magnesium I've been doing great.
    go online and read about restless leg and magnesium.
    Its got rid of my problem after 17 years.
    I told my husband just today its like a miracle .He's watched me for years wear the bed out at night as well as the couch going back and forth trying to get relief.
    I'm taking 1000mgs a day you may not need that much, it has a laxitive effect if you take to much. Try a lower dose first, a nurse had told me about this back in sept. 2005. she said it takes 5 weeks to get into your system and she was right. I could tell after 5 weeks.
    I've only taken one muscle relaxer pill,in 5 months.
    I use to have to take them every day.