Restless Legs Syndrome? How did you find out?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LADYBUG2, May 5, 2003.

1. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

Could all of you that have this RLS,, "PLEASE" tell me how you were diagnosed? I just had a Neuroligest tell me ,that unless I went threw a SLEEP STUDY, that my family doctor, could not be sure that I had RLS.
    But, I was kicking my husband all nite,; up & down all nite long,because my legs ached and hurt to the bone. Was turning and tossing all nite, even ended up side ways in the bed. My husband asked me to go to our family doctor to see what was wrong. My doctor said, " SOUNDS LIKE RLS, & prescribed me Sinemet. And it help..............
    The Reastless Legs Foundations, booklet says that Sinemet
    is one of the many drugs that is used for RLS.

I did not like the attitude of this neuroligest, as one of his main questions was,,," CAN YOU TELL ME "ANYWHERE",, YOU DON'T HURT" and he didn't say it nicely,,,,,,,,,

It was more like he was being a SMART A--

My Mother had RLS. I have (SEVERE MIGRAINES, FAMILY MEMBERS ALSO ) DIVERTICULITIS, FIBROMYLGIA, IBS, 2 BULGEING DISKS ( L4 & L5 ) Herpies;
    And I was haveing what my doctor suspected was Neuropathy Pain,(hands& arms falling asleep; feet sore when I woke up in the morning, etc,etc, so my doctor tryed me on Neurontin.
    It has help with the pain in my feet so much, & other places. I have had so many other tests ran, that I used up all of my Major Medical........

But, could you PLEASE, tell me how you were diagnosed,with haveing, RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME?

I FELL LIKE REPORTING THIS NEUROLIGEST TO THE MEDICAL BOARD.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, WITH MY QUESTIONS.
    LADYBUG2

2. anniegetyourgun

anniegetyourgun New Member

Ladybug2

My rheumy Dx'd me with my description of symptoms...many of which we share. Are you familiar with rls.org? Perhaps you should enlighten your neurologist. My father has RLS as well, and the Mayo Clinic has requested both of us to donate our brains for neurological research.

Also...beware of Sinemet. Have you done any research on it? I tried it only to find that I experienced one of the related side-effects...increased symptoms! Sinemet actually made my RLS worse! Klonopin works for me. So far, so good anyway.

Annie
  3. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I had my partner telling me I had restless leg syn because i wore out my sheets down by my feet, and because I was restless when I slept. Well I didn't think so because I would turn in my sleep because my body hurt and I would need to change positions frequently. Well I also snored and did go for a sleep study and one of things they check is for restless leg,the electrodes can measure how many times your leg actually twitches or move the needle and you can visualize the reading on the paper print out.That is how I was diagnosed and they put me on sinemet also but after awhile I didn't notice any difference and I also was aware of side affects, I decided to quit, and also I now sleep with a cpap machine to keep me from experiencing sleep apnea, which helps me sleep deeper and not wake up several times a night. Sleep apnea is a nasty thing and can shorten your life or cause heart problems,so I was very glad that my insurance covered this sleep study which I'm sure has helped my quality of life.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2003]
  4. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I looked at your profile to see where you live. That sounds like the Neuro which I refuse to see anymore. He fits the bill you described. My new Neuro doctor, at least he believes in Fibro unlike the other one, but he still acts like a smart a**. I wonder what is it with these Doctors.

Anyway, I just had a sleep study done and should get the results tomorrow. If I were you I would find a new Neuro doctor. Hope you get some relief. Take care.
    Hurtsalot2
  5. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

Yes, I subscribed to the RLS FOUNDATION, pamplet called NIGHT WALKERS.

I just need some in-put from members who have RLS.

From "ALL" of the things that I described to my PCP, he seemed quite sure that I did have RLS. And when the Sinemet helped, I asumed, it was RLS, and more so after I read many articles in the "NIGHT WALKERS PAMPLET"

NIGHT WALKERS, contains alot of information.

Yes, the Sinemet, is a concern to me.... but,I was so
    upset, due to the pain, and lack of sleep, I decided to take it. I stoped Sinemet and tryed the Klonipen, but all my RLS came back. But, I do use Klonipen to get some restfull sleep.

And I too could not get confortable, I tossed and turned all night long,, and my shoulders and hips would hurt so bad, from the FIBRO, The ,,Neurontin has helped that by
    60-70 percent.

THANK YOU FOR, answering my post, and I hope to hear from others,with this RLS.
    LADYBUG2