restless legs????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lorraine50, Apr 20, 2007.

1. lorraine50

lorraine50 New Member

Does anyone on this board know what to do if they have restless legs night time??/I have it quite often and sometimes lasts all night and keeps me awake.

If someone can please help me I'd like to know what to do.

thanks
    lorraine50
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I take neurontin but there are a few meds that may be better. Please ask your doc about help. There is no need to suffer with this. I really know how you feel. Requip is the first FDA approved drug specifically for RLS I believe.

Good luck :)

Andy
  3. mymissy

mymissy New Member

You need to go to a Neurologist. I have severe RLS (severe RLS runs in families) and am currently taking Mirapex. It has been a godsend for me and my RLS. My Dr. has tried me on different drugs, but Mirapex seems to do wonders for me. There are also support groups for RLS. Please get to a Dr. that can help you. I went years without sleeping because of it. Now my legs are better, I just don't sleep because of the Fibro/CFS.

Mymissy
  4. fighterofchaos

fighterofchaos New Member

lorraine50-

I just found this site today (immunesupport.com) and found a reference to "jumping legs" under the "MD Prescribed Treatments" link: article 2 from Dr.Charles Lapp (you have to click on the first article and link from the bottom of it). Excellent article:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/2927

I didn't even recognize that I have this problem (restless leg) until I read this article - excellent information and may help you.

-V
  5. monamea

monamea New Member

Hello Lorraine50

I use lyrica for my restless legs. I use to be on neurotin but my dr's changed it to lyrica. My legs get really bad some nights, I also have lymphedema so between both of them they would get so bad that there wasn't anyway place I could put them for relief. The lyrica helps me but on certain days like if I have been doing alot of work inside or out and standing long periods of time it doesn't work to good so I end up taking motrin or pain pills to help it. Go to your dr and tell him about it before it gets worse!
  6. blkkat

blkkat New Member

i take 1.5 mgs of clonazepam this is a generic, plus it calms me down and it helps me sleep better. good luck -BLKKAT
  7. Clemkarl

Clemkarl New Member

Hi lorraine, I see people have replyed about meds - Requip gave me insomnia.

I take 400 units of folic acid and 28 mg Iron Glycinate Over the counter meds, and that helps me.

Clem Karl
  8. teacher

teacher New Member

I take 1000 mg calcium about 1/2 hour before bedtime. Works for me.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lorraine50:

For me, I used to take magnesium. I know Requip is supposed to take care of this problem, but you never know. It can not hurt to try both.

nyrofan
  10. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

and let me ask a question on this topic.

I read about the brain donor program at Harvard years ago. I also know that there have been some advancements and most of all validation in and of RLS.

Do you know how much credit these donated brains and those who study them should get for these achievements?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
  11. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and am taking Requip. You up the dosage each week until you are what they consider a theraputic level. Works really good for me. I have done alot of research with this and there are some good websites if you just put in rls in your search engine. I found that ice cream can even give you this so I thought I would try it on a night when my legs weren't dancing to the beat of another drummer. I had my bowl of ice cream and about 15 minutes later, I was dancing again. No fair because that is my favorite treat. RLS is a neurological disease but I was diagnosed by my primary care doc and she put me on Requip. It makes me sleep also. I have been having some strange dreams though lately. I usually don't dream so I think it might be a good sign that I am finally getting some restorative sleep. P
  12. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I was diagnosed with PLMD after my wife went storming in with me to two of my appointments with my neurologist. She explained that she had lay awake at night for too long trying to dodge my flying legs. She wanted medicine for me or was going to change beds :)

She explains my leg movement in a way that scares me. The trouble is, I no nothing about it. I guess that is a blessing though. My doctor prescribed Zanex to take before I go to bed. He had already diagnosed me with RLS years ago. It runs in my family in a big way.

I also have had bouts of RLS in my shoulders and upper arms. I take neurontin for RLS and peripheral neuropathy. It works really well.

Mujuer, my worst trigger for RLS was/is acetaminophen, although one of the many medicines I take really has almost stopped it. I suspect it is the neurontin. Another bad trigger for me is just thinking about it. Really.

My Mother had RLS so bad that they almost could not do a cardiac catheterization on her. You are only under conscious sedation for this procedure. She was giving it heck until two nurses held down her cath leg. She later had 6X coronary artery bypass surgery.

Y'all be good and if ya can't, then name it after me.

Andy