Restless Legs??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wildcat, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Can anyone please tell me what is restless leg? I have been reading alot of posts and really don't understand? Last night when I was laying in bed (trying to sleep) I had a aching pain in my left leg, in between knee and ankle, all the way down the bone area? Is this part of it? I have had it happen a few times on the other leg also, only in the front like right on the bone area.

Can someone tell me if this has happened to them?
    Wildcat
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Can anyone please tell me what is restless leg? I have been reading alot of posts and really don't understand? Last night when I was laying in bed (trying to sleep) I had a aching pain in my left leg, in between knee and ankle, all the way down the bone area? Is this part of it? I have had it happen a few times on the other leg also, only in the front like right on the bone area.

Can someone tell me if this has happened to them?
    Wildcat
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I have restless leg syndrome. It is when you have an uncontrolable urge to move your legs and it can also cause pain. They found mine during a sleep lab. I also get jerks, cramps, tingling etc... in mine. My doctor is treating mine with Sinemet which is the drug that they give to people with Parkinson's disease. Ask your doctor about it! It is treatable but not curable and can disturb sleep in the worse kind of ways.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

My legs are okay, in this respect, until I lie down and then they will NOT stop moving. I cannot control this. They also feel like I need to just stretch and stretch them, so I get up and do calf stretches while leaning against a wall or a stand on the edge of a stair and lower my heels, which feels good at the time, but when I lie down.....there it is again. Hot baths, IcyHot, Ultram help the most. I took Klonopin for this, too, but stopped it after a year when I learned than longterm use of Klonopin will cause or worsen my depression. Misery for me!!! It's such a catch 22~~~I am SO tired, especially after being on my feet all day taking care of patients and all I can think of is how nice that bed will feel...BUT, when I lie down, my legs do this, my shoulders and neck hurt and my nightly itching starts.(I take Atarax/Vistaril for this and I have for nearly 29 years!
    Sorry for you....
    Love,
    Kady
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Sometimes it feels as if when I am trying to sleep, my legs just don't feel the urge to sleep, yes Kady, feel like they just need to be stretched out. And my muscles contract...Oh my another symptom!

Thanks Wildcat
  6. jbg

jbg New Member

When I try to go to sleep, my legs feel like there are bugs crawling just under the skin. It is really creeepy feeling. I'm not sure what it is, but at least no pain.
    I hope you find you answers. Otherwise type in restless legs in the search messages at the top and you should find more information from the others here.
    Good luck,
    Julie
  7. granmama

granmama New Member

I began having restless legs when I became anemic during my de-ironing process for my Hemochromatosis. At that time, I had not been dx with FM.
    A year passed before I got help with all the FM symptoms, including the restless legs. I take Klonopin 1mg at night and 1/4 tablet for my daily nap. Boy, that was a long year!!

As others have told you, it is the uncontrollable movement of your legs. Getting up at night and walking helps, heat helps, rubbing helps, but nothing I have found stops it but the Klonopin.

When I was dx with FM, the doc first prescribed Amitryptiline (sp?), which can cause restless legs as a side effect, so I was switched to the Klonopin.

Sometimes, it does feel like bone pain and there is the desire to rub your legs against the sheet or with a foot.
    Again, we are back to moving those limbs.
    Hope this helps,
    granmama