Results of A Drug Study (re FM Pain)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Apr 10, 2007.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

A study published in the June 2006 issue of Pain Practitioner looked at the impact of olanzapine, an atypical neuroleptic, on FM pain and quality of life in FM patients.

In general, the data provide strong support that olanzapine can, in certain patients, improve symptoms associated with fibromyalgia in patients who have had limited success with other treatment modalities.

Note: Olanzapine is:

Brand Name: Zyprexa
    Generic Name: Olanzapine
    Drug Class: ANTIPSYCHOTICS

NFA Newsletter
    [This Message was Edited on 04/11/2007]
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

this medicine is widely used to treat schizophrenia!!! I wouldn't dare touch it....
  3. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Alot of meds are used off label for other things, like Seroquel is an antipsychotic that is used for insomnia, depression, anxiety as well....of course be sure to get any med from a doctor that knows all about your other meds. I have been through the mill with trying meds and am trying a tiny dose of seroquel. my rheumy and pyschiatrist both suggested it. am not sure if I like it though. NOTHING seems to agree with me except xanax and clonopin and I take ultracet, don't like it but it works some, and now trying darvocet n 100. I think I am menopausal as my moods are all over the place. Cant tell if its from a drug or from me!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Seroquel and Zyprexa, really quick. Neither FM nor CFS patients are going to benefit from either of these medicines unless they are psychotic.

Kindest regards,

Andy
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

My brother-in-law is on Zyprexa for psychiatric reasons. He has became pre-diabetic. He was informed that there is a current class action suit against the manufacturer because Zyprexa has caused an awful lot of people to become diabetic!!!

Be careful if you chose to use it. My brother-in-law has no choice as this is the only drug that has allowed him to hold down a job (and my sister is disabled due to a ruptured brain aneurysm/stroke). My sister's disability check pays the mortgage, but someone's got to pay for everything else!!!

TerryS
  6. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

and are involved in a class action lawsuit:

Diabetes Study Results

Data from a study that was reported at a conference of the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology in Philadelphia August 23 and 24, 2003 showed that patients on Seroquel had 3.34 times as many cases of diabetes as those on older antipsychotic drugs. The study of 19,878 U.S. military veterans between October 1998 and October 2001 indicated that Seroquel and other members of the new class of anti-psychotic drugs posed a higher risk of diabetes. The effect was most pronounced with Seroquel.

===========================

Zyprexa (generic: olanzapine) has been linked to diabetes, hyperglycemia, pancreatitis and diabetic ketoacidosis. Zyprexa is manufactured by Eli Lilly & Co. and was approved in 1996 as a schizophrenia medication. In 2000, it was approved for the treatment of bipolar mania. Zyprexa is an atypical antipsychotic medication, a newer class of drugs touted as effectively treating schizophrenia but without the motor side effects of the older antipsychotic medications including Thorazine and Haldol. These older drugs treated the positive (delusions, thought disorder, and hallucinations) and negative (social withdrawal, lack of energy, apathy, and reduced ability to express emotion) symptoms of schizophrenia, but they also had unwanted motor side effects such as akathisia (restlessness and fidgeting), tardive dyskinesia (involuntary, uncontrollable movements), and akinesia (drug-induced Parkinsonism, including tremors). Zyprexa and the other atypical antipsychotics were marketed as being just as effective but as having fewer unwanted side effects. It is now clear that the Zyprexa-diabetes link has injured thousands of people who believed they were taking a safe medication.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Doesn't sound like a drug that we would want to be on!!!

Thanks for the informative replies!