Results of Colonscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mary124, May 17, 2006.

1. mary124

mary124 New Member

I had my Colonscopy/Endoscopy(?)with biopsis on the 28th of April. Everything was fine till the 2nd of May, when I woke up having to go to the bathroom and blood just poured out of me. Instead of going to the ER at the time, I went back to bed and waited till I had to get up, and when it happened again, I called the doctor they told me to come in in the afternoon, they examed me and said it was my coumadin that I was on (I told him it wasn't that my INR level was high enough to be causing all of this) he told me to get off of it along with the injections that I was on, I felt that since he wasn't the prescribing doctor, that I wasn't going to do as he said.(After I left his office I did go see the cardio doctor upstairs -they're in the same building- they told me I couldn't get off the coumadin) Anyway he told me that if I was still bleeding the next day to call him (didn't seem too concerned) so I called them back the next day, by the time they called back, it was late in the afternoon and they said "if you want to go to the ER than go" -- Well after 36 hours of bleeding, what do you think I would do?? my husband took me, I was admitted after awhile, stayed there for 5 days, being monitored. Loss so much blood that I became anemic. At first, the doctor said he didn't punctured me or anything, but then he said he "probably did". Anyway, doing better now.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

mary124:
    Thank God you made it to the hospital in time. No, that kind of bleeding should not go on for a long time.
    I had an upper endo done and had two polyps taken out.

Over the next week or so I kept vomiting. I called the doctor who did the procedure and he gave me suppositories that brought down the desire to vomit, but I had to use an awful lot of them.

The whole thing ended up with hospitlization like you: for about five days.

They should be more careful in doing these things. I was given no explanation about what happened. I was told in the hospital that it was 'just one of those things'. Nice.

nyrofan
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Had he ruptured your bowel, then you would have had PERITONITIS WITH THE BLEEDING.

I fyou just had bleeding, then he ruptured a blood vessel, or biopsied something and didn't cauterize or seal it well, and if you were on coumadin, then he SHOULD HAVE BEEN VERY, VERY CAREFUL, AND SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SO BLASEE WHEN YOU CAME BACK BLEEDING.

THIS IS MALPRACTICE, CLEAR AND SIMPLE.

I HAD A COLONOSCOPY LAST FALL. IT WAS MY FIFTH, AS COLON CANCER RUNS IN THE FAMILY, AND I HAD THREE POLYPS TWO YEARS AGO AND ANOTHER LAST FALL.

HOWEVER, THE DOCTOR GAVE ME PHOSPHO FOR THE PREP. I HAD NEVER HAD PHOSPHO. I TOOK THE FIRST DOSE AND BEGAN TO CRAMP IN A MANNER WHICH I HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED, AND THEN THE VOMITING STARTED. I WAS STICK ALL NIGHT AND HAD BECOME SERIOUSLY DEHYDRATED.

I arrived at the outpatient center and TOLD THEM I WAS SERIOUSLY DEHYDRATED, AND TO DISCOVER THEY DID NOT USE ANESTHESIA COVERAGE THERE. I WAS LIVID. THE DOCTOR HAD NOT INFORMED ME OF THAT.

They refused to give me additional fluids, and AGAINST MY DIRECT INSTRUCTIONS GAVE ME DEMEROL, IV , WHICH IS A DISGUSTING DRUG, MAKES ME PUKE, AND IS A VASODILATOR, WHICH MAKED THE DEHYDRATIONS WORSE. I WAS VOMITING IN RECOVERY AND THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME ANYTHING, AS IT WOULD "DELAY" THEIR SCHEDULE. SENT ME HOME.

I WAS ILL AND COULDN'T KEEP ANYTHING DOWN AND BECAEM WORSE AND WORSE, TOLD THE OUTPATIENT CLINIC OFF THE NEXT MORNING, AND TRIED TO REACH THE DOCTOR, ENDED UP IN THE ER, AND GOT THREE UNITS OF IV, AND LEFT THERE, BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GET ME A BED, HAD ME IN THE HALL, HAVING DIARRHEA, HADN'T GIVEN ME THE ORDERED TYLENOL IN THREE HOURS, FROM THE ORDER, COULDN'T GET ME A PILLOW OR A BLANKET.

Went home, called a friend who was an Anesthetist, and she brought IV stuff and IV fluids to my home, gave me three more liters, and it took three to four days for me to even begin to recover.

THE DOCTOR TOLD ME NO ONE HAD REACTIOSN TO THE PHOSPHO.

I LOOKED IT UP AND A BIG ARTICLE HAD COME OUT TWO MONTHS BEFORE MY EVENT, IN A MAJOR SURGICAL MEDICAL MAGAZINE, SAYING THAT SEVERE REACTIONS WERE OCCURRING WITH THE STUFF. EITHER SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT OR WAS LYING.

THE FDA JUST TOOK THE STUFF OFF THE MARKET BECAUSE OF DEATHS FROM IT.

I WAS AN RN, ADVANCED NURESE ANESTHETIST AND CERTIFIED REGISTERED NURSE ANESTHETIST FOR ALMOST 25 YEARS, AND YOU SIMPLY CANNOT BLINDLY TRUST DOCTORS, AND OFTEN, WHEN THINGS START TO GO WRONG, THEY JUST GO INTO DENIAL AND THINGS GET WORSE.
  4. mary124

mary124 New Member

The doctor did take lots of biopsis. All came back negative.
    He also knew that I was on coumadin.

I don't know if he ruptured my bowel or not,but the cardio doctor put me on antibotics just in case, because of the heart valve.

5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

What an irresponsible creep of a doctor. The very first thing would have been to monitor you for perforations.

SAnd to tell you to get off your blood meds. That man needs reporting.

I would certainly think about sueing him as this seems as if the bleeding was linked to his endoscopy.

I would go and get the opinion of another gastro, someone well away from this guy.

Love Anne C