Results of Dr. Sarah Myhill's GMC meeting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TigerLilea, May 3, 2010.

1. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

From BBC News
    Thursday, April 29, 2010

A doctor has been banned from prescribing drugs and told to take down part of her website after appearing before the General Medical Council.

Dr Sarah Myhill will have to comply with the order for 18 months after two complaints were made against her.

For the complete story go to:
  2. quanked

quanked Member

and it is still not clear how a couple of complaints can bring such censure.

I do not know what the laws are in the UK. I wonder if she might set up her site via the USA--add disclaimers and qualifies.

I do not understand about the fitness to practice medicine comments.

Do you know if she has any other recourse, an appeal, a legal suit against the GMO?

Thanks for the update.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Well put. People seem to think it was one person complaining about her website. There are also eight other Doctors who have complained.

She has had many meetings with the GMC but has not changed her practice.

If she loses her lisence she will still be able to practice but not as a medical doctor. If she can't follow the regulations, she should be dismissed.

I find her views quite disturbing. Her fans are desperate, so turn to her.

However, there are a lot of us desperate, who do not turn to "woo".

These vocal few are just confirming the sterotype that we are all crazy.

What worries me is the WPI who should be a role model for Science Based Medicine, have said that it is a shame what happened to her.

Don't let Dr. Myhill drag the rest of us down with her.

This is my opinion and I am not open for debate.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You need to read this carefully and I will quote you here in case you decide to delete your post.

"What you are doing needs to be exposed. I am passionate about helping other people so I will continue to warn others about you and what you are doing."

What you say sounds like the persons stalking me on the Internet. Evidently, there are still some things posted about me. I was most concerned about the posts where someone said they were out to find me and my family, who I am and reap what I deserve. Fortunately, that has been taken care of and I let the others roll off my back.

My post about ADs was that they can help pain, only pain and not that people with CFS are just depressed. Once again you have twisted my words.

I posted in a rational, nonthreatening informative way. You sir, have not.

I guess when people do not have information to back up their statements, they resort to name calling.

It's posts like this, that make us look like we have psychological issues.

Debate the facts instead of being so rude.

You have a right to post but you also have a responsibility to be appropriate. Do you think this will make me quit PH? No, it does just the opposite as I am also passionate about helping people.

I have reported your post in light of what has been going on in my life. I will not back down.

ETA Can you tell me where I can sign up to work for Big Pharma as I need the money. Do you work for Big Placebo?

[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2010]
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am glad the Effexor has been working for you and hopefully giving you a better quality of life, though for us it is all relative, eh?

Take care.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just hate when that happens!!!

Thanks, a laugh before bedtime helps me sleep!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2010]
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I watched an interview with a patient of Dr. Myhills. She was an older woman with heart disease who had been told by her doctors that there was nothing more that they could do for her. She started seeing Dr. Myhill who started her on magnesium and B12 shots along with a few other supplements and a complete change of diet. She is now doing well and back to living her life again.

I just don't understand what you have against doctors who can think outside the box. If she were killing or seriously injuring people, I could understand. However, she hasn't hurt anyone.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was not implying that you are my stalker and I thought I made that clear in my post to you. I was just saying is that you have to watch the way you word things or someone might interpret what you say as stalking.

I am a big girl and can take care of myself and yes this is something that happens on the Internet and I put it in that context.

TigerLilea, I also saw the video. What does this have to do with the fact the Myhill's advice and treatment are potentially dangerous? This woman could have gotten better whether she saw Myhill or not. How do we know she really had heart disease? Maybe she just thought she did. Maybe she would have improved with a real doctor. I simply do not know what the specifics of her medical condition nor what kind of person she is. She could be sincere. We just don't know.

Once again, it is an anecdotal evidence which basically means squat.

As far as killing people or injuring them the odds are if someone has not already, people could in the future. The young man who had a neurological disease, Myhill had not seen him, was given lots of information on what to do through his mother. It could have had devastating effects on his health.This was one of the complaint about her. What do we do? Wait until someone dies?

Yes, I realize that people die from side effects of medications, seeing SB physicians but the odds are much better than alternative treatments that are not plausible or ineffective.

There are plenty of shady websites selling products, out to make a buck and have a lot of testimonials. I am not just talking about alternative websites here. Look at the infomercials on TV.

Now that's where some people may have been paid to say things.

ETA Magnesium can actually be harmful to people with heart problems. I will find some information concerning this and post it. If anyone has any studies that show otherwise, please post them.[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2010]
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

At the end of the day, Gap, you are dead set against anyone getting any improvement what-so-ever using supplements. It won't matter what any of us post, you will try to find something to prove us wrong.

I suggest you re-watch the BBC video because that woman clearly states that she had been to other doctors and had been hospitalized several times and she was told there was nothing more they could do for her. Are you suggesting that the doctors at the hospital weren't "real" doctors??

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If a supplement has been proven to work and some have and/or if there is a deficiency then that supplement is not considered an alternative medicine. For example iron which I take for low ferritin , B12 shots when I was deficient until my readings were normal and when I was on another medication my doctor told me to take folic acid. This was even printed on the phamphlet that comes with the medication.

There may be other supplements that do work but have not been scientifically shown to be effective or never tested. But we don't know until they have been tested and people are taking a chance, if they haven't. The supplement industry is suppose to regulate themselves and report side effects. But that is like the IRS saying send in your tax money and we will trust you out the amount you owe. I would think that most people would not turn in the correct amount.

Dr. Myhill prescribed magnesium to someone she had never seen. The person had a neurological/absorption problem and magnesium would have made his condition worse.

In heart patients either low or high magnesium can be dangerous. So unless you have a deficiency, dehydrated, you don't need to take the amount that Dr. Myhill wants to put people on, (which is a much higher dosage than what is called for). Hypermagnisia(?)can be fatal. If you have heart problems there are medications that are more effective and less dangerous.

So I do not have a knee jerk reaction to be totally against supplements. But I most certainly do have a problem with people using stuff because of what they have heard, read on a website or in this case Dr. Myhill who prescribes supplements without a bloodtest. Now she does have a blood test that is suppose to show a myriad of problems, will charge you for it, but is not a valid recommended by physicians.

I've stated my case. I don't think it is necessary to keep debating this.

Think of me what you want, LOL!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2010]