Results of Hair Analysis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 30, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

What an interesting day. I couldn't believe what my hair showed that my blood work didn't..
    I took my blood work today to just compare.

I have been disappointed so in the past with what might work and what might not but if the Hair Analysis is accurate and reliable and the Natural Doc I am see isn't a quack then maybe she knows what is going on with me..

Ok, this is what my Hair analysis revealed : Thyroid.. Jamin I know you will love this because you have been so correct all along.. Yes all my labs were so called norm.. But My thyroid isn't working so to speak the kind that synthroid wouldn't help but what you take is what I need something that starts with an arm...for now I am on Hypothalmapath will try for 2 weeks and see how it does..

Adrenal Glands: are shot.. Iron is low and probably had a sinus infection for years possible a fungal one so going to have the spit yeast test done for yeast.

Body not absorbing a lot of nutrients especially Protein.. Body depleted in Protein, 0 metabolisim..

Afraid to get my hopes up but the supplements recommended are Hypothalmapath, Ribose, Hema-Plex, Grapefruit Extract drops for sinus.. Try for two weeks and then will slowly add more.

Also a high protein diet and protein drink.. So we shall see.

Hope I am on to something will keep you posted. Like I say I have been so disappointed with new treatments that didn't work but we shall see..

God Bless,
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It sounds like your doctor may be on the right track - I'm really glad for you. The thyroid med you're referring to is Armour thyroid.

One thing I would bring up with your doctor is the very real possibility that you have hypochloridia, low stomach acid. If this is the case, it would help explain why you are not absorbing nutrients, and if you do have this problem, then it needs to be remedied for everything else to work so that you can absorb your new supplements and your food properly.

I have to take hydrochloric acid capsules 1/2 hour before eating each meal, especially meals that have protein because that is particularly hard to digest. And I eat protein with just about every meal.

Anyways, sounds like you may finally be making some progress - keep us posted!

Best wishes,

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks, I sure hope so.. I am not sure how she put it but my body is all messed up because of my thyroid and adrenals plus other things being so out of wack. She did seem to think my immune system was ok, that surprised me. Once my body got back in balance ( the thyroid, adrenals, yeast and infection) I would began to feel better .. I think my body is absorbing nutrients I just need to be on a high protein diet..

Sorta brain fogged right now but will email her or call as often as necessary and will mention things as they occur which is helpful..I hope this will help if not I have lost nothing but a few dollars.

Oh, she did recommend a big change in my eating habits.. and feels I will began to lose weight.

4. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I wasn't assimilating protein either. Found out I had low stomach acid. I did the protein drink and had protein at every meal and took Betaine HCL.

My doctor told me the way you know if you need the hydrochloric acid and how much you need is to start with one at every meal and add one each meal until you feel an acid stomach. Then you take one less than that with every meal. Some people find at first that they need a lot. I gave one by accident to my husband and he said he had an acid stomach with just one so we know he doesn't need it.
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

To test yourself for low stomach acid, you can try the following:

On an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning, drink a glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Monitor your watch or a clock to see how long it is before you burp. If you haven't burped in five minutes, you can stop monitoring. A person with a normal amount of stomach acid will burp within about two minutes.

Best regards,

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hopefully you have found an answer to a lot of your health problems, GG. I've had several naturapaths (NDs) tell me that my thyroid isn't functioning properly, but, unfortunately, here in Canada NDs can't prescribe pharmaceuticals, and my MD tested my TSH and refused to treat me as my TSH showed as normal. She absolutely refuses to test my T3 and T4 because of normal TSH. My old doctor tried getting me into an Endochronologist, however, she refused to see me because of normal test results.

Mary, doesn't Rich Van K have a baking soda test to check for low stomach acid? ETA that Rich answered my very question while I was editing my message!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2010]
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

One thing I forgot to mention is sea salt and a glass of water in the morning. 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt on my tongue and follow with 8 oz of water each morning for adrenal support.

This is how one paragraph in my report reads..

This analysis is associated with a decreased metabolic rate reflected by lower than normal adrenal activity along with decreased tissue response to thyroid. Dietary habits control this metabolic type with correct protein intake the key. Regulation of blood sugar is also an issue with fluctuations resulting in fatigue, mid afternoon energy loss, decreased mental alertness and poor sleep..

I have pages but guess that is a better explanation than my first post. Oh, well all this may help and may not.

8. quanked

quanked Member

This sounds like a useful test.

Did your regular doc order this test for you? Or is there another way to have this done--in other words is this something I can order for myself?

All my thyroid tests over the years have come back normal as well. Yet I have a lot of the symptoms on the list for hypothyroidism.

How much did the test cost or did med. ins. cover it?

It will be interesting to hear how your condition improves over time.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

My regular doc didn't order the test but he referred me .. He said she had helped him with a lot of his complicated cases.. like me and others.. Especially since I am so med sensitive or no meds seem to work for me.

The test was $85.00 for the first consult and the follow up I had today. No insurance doesn't cover it..

Yes, I am anxious to see how things go, have been disappointed so many times. But she said I should see improvement in a couple weeks...Will keep you posted..

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks will try it , simple enough...Then if abnormal will give doc natural a call.
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You might want to get blood tests as the hair analysis is not reliable.

Hair analysis does not compare with what you have in your blood except for something like Arsenic poisoning. Add to that the effect of shampoos, hair coloring, if you have dry scalp and dandruff or oily hair and it will change the results of the tests. Just being outside where your hair is exposed to things like car fumes, sunlight will effect your hair.

Best to get the blood tests. Most are covered by insurance.

Take care.

You have to be careful about anything with grapefruit juice in it as it can interfer with some medications such as cholesterol medications. There are others as well like Trazodone.

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2010]
  12. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

So glad you are still fighting for some answers instead of just accepting a fibro diagnosis when you don't fit the symptoms, gg!

The spit test is unreliable, however. Over 50% of people have yeast in their mouth, which will make the "spit test" turn up "positive"; that doesn't mean you have a yeast problem.

Grapefruit seed extract is really strong (you can CLEAN KITCHENS with that stuff!) so be careful, if you have infections you'll probably herx (get worse at first) from taking the grapefruit seed; I know I did. It also takes infections that have reverted to cysts (non-symptom-causing form) and makes them open up (to SYMPTOM CAUSING form), so just be on the look out for feeling worse in general!

High protein is great for you whether you're fighting infections or "just" have FM. It's essential, actually.

As for what you wrote from your analysis paper... In my honest opinion, I question its validity. It seems to suggest that just eating in a healthy manner, keeping blood sugar stable, and maintaining a nourishing diet will "fix you." As if that were all it took to fix such severe problems as the analysis claims you have...! If you really had all those problems, any other doctor would be RUSHING you to the hospital to figure out what systemic condition was causing you to not absorb the very things you need to survive!

In other words, I'm not sure if what it says on the paper, is actually your problem, and even if it WERE your problem, I see not in any way how the things they claim will fix the problems (dietery changes, etc) could possibly make them better! But in general, I also don't see at all how the changes/supplements could harm you. Even if the analysis is wrong, they are all very beneficial things, so good luck and keep us updated. Hopefully you'll start to improve, regardless. :)

13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I had tons of blood work and for my age all normal.. I am not sure if this hair thing is good or bad. She didn't say it would cure me as she thinks I have CFS she that the supplements or whatever will help me not feel so bad.. I use the grapefruit extract in the netti-pot,
    For now I am not all the optimistic ...
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh, I question this too .. She is working with my regular doc to try to help with my CFS symptoms since I am so med sensitive.. What she has given me may not help but don't think it can hurt..

I used the netti-pot with the grapefruit extract last night and not sure what I did but almost had a vertigo attack was so off balance for awhile and this morning have a terrible headache.. Havent tried any of the other "stuff" will start out slowly today, one at a time..

I feel this darn CFS there is not much we can do..

15. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

My blood tests were normal, too. Here I was sick and the MD said I was healthy because of my blood tests. When my naturopath looked at the blood tests, though, he could see some of my problems reflected there. So maybe a good MD could. My ND said that even if something is in the normal range, low-normal can be an indication that something's wrong. So it's kind of silly to have a range of say, 5-50 being normal and you're a 6 and be told you're fine. And he said reference ranges for what is normal vary and some are off.

Greatgran, part of my test results were very similar to yours. Fixing the protein and endocrine problems may not cure CFS but they sure do help you to feel better (unless they find out CFS is so complicated that fixing those problems makes the the CFS worse or something weird like that, who knows) . My adrenal and thyroid problems were so bad that I couldn't hardly make it out of the laying down position and when I went in public people would stare at me because I looked so sick. Now, when I visit people in the hospital the nurses stare at me because they can tell I'm not healthy but when people on the street stop and stare at you with a shocked expression you know you look bad! It was such a relief to fix my adrenal and thyroid problems and I felt scads better.
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks , now tell me how you fixed your thyroid and adrenal problem.. with supplements of rx meds.. I am feeling terrible today..

17. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

hi gg; just read your update from today and wanted to wish you a "feel better". Hopefully this is just the temporary feeling worse before you start to feel better! ((((hugs))))
  18. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Standard Process. I had been using regular glandulars and they helped but I kept having the problem. A month or two of Standard Process and I was 'fixed'. I also did things for support like take salt, licorice, protein at every meal, 4 or 5 small meals a day, iodine. I also took hypothalamus, pituitary and ovary because my whole endocrine system was messed up which is often the case. And you have to be careful my doctor said about treating adrenals and thyroid because one can imbalance the other, such as if you treat one more than the other the other will be more off than before you started treatment.
  19. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I too had very good results with Standard Process adrenal glandulars and also a couple of other brands. The ones I've used are Drenatrophin PMG and Drenamin, both by SP, and Cytozyme AD by Biotic.

People say get blood tests, go to your doctor, etc., and I did all that for seven years and they didn't help me at all. Then my chiro did muscle testing, found my weak adrenals (I was weak as a kitten) and within a few days of starting the Drenatrophin my energy picked up. I had to keep on it for several months but it was so worth it. My chiro explained that the adrenal glandular products give your adrenals a rest, to let them recuperate, unlike steroids which only push them to work harder, thus depleting them further.

Also, the obvious things like avoid sugar, alcohol, caffeine, all which are hard on the adrenals.

For my thyroid I've been on Armour thyroid for several years, although this last year had to switch to Westhroid (which is basically the same thing) as Armour became almost impossible to get. Also I do iodine drops daily - ask your naturopath about this.

So overall I am in better shape than several years ago. Unfortunately I do keep crashing, my mitochondria are still screwed up, but I know I would be much worse off without treating my adrenals and thyroid.

20. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am taking or will start taking Hypothalmapath is that anything like hypothalamus? Taking the Ribose now and Hema-Plex (supplement for blood health) since my iron is low. Will take these supplements for 2 weeks and then will start on other things for adrenal support. Also I am to take 1/8 teaspoon of seasalt with glass of water first thing of the morning for adrenals.. The grapefruit extract for sinus/ ear infection... Plus a low carb high protein diet.. Not sure what is wrong with me today all I can do is cry... Could be some family issues or my body adjusting or not adjusting...