Results of my memory test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cabbie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

I had my test today, and it was pretty much like llama (Jill) said, but mine was only an hour. First he asked about my family members and education, how much I could do (walking, driving, shopping etc).

Then lots of memory tests, like repeating numbers, putting pictures in order, making shapes with blocks, vocabulary words, math questions, geography & history(who was president during the Civil War, where is the Sahara desert).

I felt like I was doing too well, because he kept saying "good, good". It took me longer to figure out some answers than it would if I weren't tired, but I was fading out by the time it was over. I think he could see that I was, because he asked me "Are you tired now? Are you going home to take a nap? (YES to both questions!)

However, as Jill said, the test was done in a quiet, calm office, not like a busy workplace would be. And I'll probably crash for the next couple days.

So I'll just wait to see what's next. Jill - did SS contact you fter the test? How long have you been waiting for your ALJ hearing?

Cabbie
  2. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Ha/ha...I tried counting by 7's and boy am I in trouble. Took me a few minutes to realize I could multiply instead of adding.

Good think tomorrow is my neuro appt...maybe he can shed some light on my problems.

FroggyFog
  3. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

I have so much trouble remembering names and coming up with the correct word that I want to say. I thought it was just age creeping up on me! During the vocabulary part of my test, the doctor gave me one word (can't remember which one now)that I just couldn't come up with another word or phrase to describe the word, even though I knew what the word meant. Finally he told me to use it in a sentence.

I did well on the math part. After telling him I have degree in math, I figured I better do well on it or he'd think I was faking!

I'm glad to her that the problem with words is part of the disease, not dementia. If I missed any letter "a" in my message, it's not the CFS - the "a" key on my keyboard is sticking!

Cabbie
  4. llama

llama New Member

Hi Cabbie,

I almost forgot about this thread...sorry. I'm so glad that it's over for you.

So apparently, my description was somewhat helpful to you? I don't know why my test lasted so long..it was just terrible in terms of physical and cognitive fatigue.

No Cabbie, they didn't contact me after the test, except to send me my first letter of denial! Nothing was mentioned in that letter about either test that they had requested (medical exam and psych exam).

I received my 2nd denial in 7/05. My attorney said that in my area of the country OH/KY, it typically takes 12 to 14 months to hear from them!! I meant to ask her if by then you should be having your court date or if they just notify you by then when it'll be? It could be a couple more months after you've been notified...I really need to consult with my attorney.

If I get awarded SSDI, she's going to get a fair amount of money for (so far) a small amount of work..lol. I don't care just so long as I win. You have to play the game by the rules that SSDI has set up...and apparently one of the unspoken rules is to have a lawyer. Some people do win without one, but the statistics I've seen are pretty dismal overall for people who "go it alone."

I too have a hard time finding the right word, often I can remember what the first letter of the word is then usually I can spit it out. I was placed on Lamictal and that has really helped me cognitively...not having nearly as much trouble with finding the right word. Just in general my thoughts are more organized. I feel more confident to speak out socially etc.

Let me know how things are going for you, Cabbie? It's always nice to commiserate with someone who's in the same boat as you are.

Take Care and Good Luck........Jill..........
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2007]
  5. LHarmon

LHarmon New Member

where did you go to get that type of test? I have been calling every where. Thanks for your help, Linda
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

May I ask why you had a memory test? Was it required by someone (insurance, SSDI, work)?

I have no problem with remembering most of the old stuff. I am slow on the draw though or have to talk myself through it. I have a really hard time with basic short term memory. I am posting big notes on a bulletin board now or I am apt to miss appts.

Good luck :)
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Mine was set up by Social Security on the first go round. They gave me the time, place.

They did give me five numbers, told me to tell them backwards, I swear I was getting them all wrong, but the lady kept saying, "Very Good"

There wasn't too much other memory. Most was what are my limitation.
  8. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

My memory test was set up by Social Security after I appealed my 1st denial. They picked the doctor, time & place.

My application for SSDI focused mainly on fatigue, and the fact that the more tired I am, the worse my concentration and memory get, and the more "brain work" I do the more fatigued I get. That's probably why they had me take the test.I did a lot in the days before the test to tire myself out, so I would be doing the test on one of my "bad" days.

Cabbie