Results of my Sleep Study, things I didn't know.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I have been dx with Restless Leg Syndrome & Periodic Limb Movement........Difference is RLS is when you are awake, and PLM is when you are falling asleep and are asleep and your arms & or legs "jump" or twitch.

I learned I never get past stage three, I awoke 197 x's (don't remember it at all, but you only develope a memory after being awake for 60 sec), my legs move 57 x's in one hour!! No wonder my legs have been killing me....they are having a party while I am trying to sleep!!

Thank goodness I do not have sleep apnea...but lack of getting to REM (stage 5) of sleep can cause memory loss, hormonal problems, even weight gain.

Just thought I would share my experience.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

now that you have the results of the study, what happens next?

just curious,
    Beth.
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Mirax - because it has a better track record as far as the side effect of nausea, which Requip has a high track record for. I go back in 2 wks to see if it is working, if not they will up the dose for me. My legs have been feeling better.

The part of your brain that causes the RLS and PLM is right next to the part of your brain that causes Parkinson's, that is why they can treat it with the same kind of medicines, just a lower dose.

She thinks mine is genetic, as my dad has it, but less severe. I also find out that I have had it for a long time. I have never been able to sit still for long periods, and I would feel I needed to strecth my legs on a regular basis.
  4. place

place New Member

The more I learn about this DD, the more I think getting deep sleep is the key to recovery.

Please keep us posted on your progress!
  5. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

had a LONG list of problems that can occur if you do not reach REM stage. I can not remember all of them, but some included some similar things.

Though FM is real, it really hurts FM flares if you never do reach deep recovering sleep.
  6. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

to have my Mirapex up'd. The pain in my legs is much better but not all gone yet. I am SOOOOO glad that something is working and I am not having to take pain pills anymore, or at least for the time being.

Of course every time I get rid of one problem my back pain becomes more noticable.
  7. place

place New Member

Please keep us posted!
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had to go back to my sleep doc today, to get my refills done for my CPAP. As though these crazy insurance companies think it will just vanish.

They cheap skated last time and bought the cheapest CPAP, which does not contain a chip, so off to SLEEP LAB NUMBER 4 FOR ME.

The doc says that it will say if the CPAP is working.

ADditinally to see if the PLM is still as bad. From the looks of my bed in the mornings, I would say undoubtedly.

When I asked about Zyrem, he said, Do you think that your insurance will pay for it?

I said I have studies from Bennett at Oregon, I. Jon Russell in San Antonio, and say it helps, plus all this sleep research on what BAD SLEEP DOES.

I told him that if I have to take a boom box and sit in the office and play it as loud as possible, and do it every day, in my wheelchair, they will pay if it looks like it will help.

9. place

place New Member

Hey there!

Keep us posted on your progress. I am really interested in the effects of Xyrem.