Resveratrol causes improved mitochondria function? NIH article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't remember what I was looking for, but chanced upon the article below from the NIH re improved mitochondrial function and aerobic capacity in mice fed resveratrol. Also supposed to help with insulin resistance. There is question whether it's true for humans.

Elsewhere I read that it actually increases production of new mitochondria.

Has anyone taking resveratrol noticed an increase in energy? I saw posts that it helps with immune system but not increased energy.

Published 11/16/2006

Comment in:

Cell. 2006 Dec 15;127(6):1091-3.

Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha.

Lagouge M, Argmann C, Gerhart-Hines Z Meziane H, Lerin C, Daussin F Messadeq N, Milne J, Lambert P, Elliott P, Geny B, Laakso M, Puigserver P, Auwerx J.
    Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS / INSERM / ULP, 67404 Illkirch, France.

Diminished mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and aerobic capacity are associated with reduced longevity. We tested whether resveratrol (RSV), which is known to extend lifespan, impacts mitochondrial function and metabolic homeostasis. Treatment of mice with RSV significantly increased their aerobic capacity, as evidenced by their increased running time and consumption of oxygen in muscle fibers. RSV's effects were associated with an induction of genes for oxidative phosphorylation and mitochondrial biogenesis and were largely explained by an RSV-mediated decrease in PGC-1alpha acetylation and an increase in PGC-1alpha activity. This mechanism is consistent with RSV being a known activator of the protein deacetylase, SIRT1, and by the lack of effect of RSV in SIRT1(-/-) MEFs. Importantly, RSV treatment protected mice against diet-induced-obesity and insulin resistance. These pharmacological effects of RSV combined with the association of three Sirt1 SNPs and energy homeostasis in Finnish subjects implicates SIRT1 as a key regulator of energy and metabolic homeostasis.

PMID: 17112576 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Not taking it but this sent me googling. Jamminhealth will be happy to hear that I'm considering grape seed extract now as it's a good source.

Very interesting stuff!
  3. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

My doctor had me try it. I took 6 capsules a day for over 6 weeks but never noticed a difference.

He prescribed it to help with mitochondrial function.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Resveratrol is different than grapeseed extract, at least from what I read. I know Jam loves her grapeseed extract! (and I do think it's good stuff too)

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm sorry to hear it didn't help you. Do you remember what brand you took, and how strong the capsules were?

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

According to my Googling, grape seed extract is an excellent source of resveratrol. Resveratrol is abundant in... uhm, an exotic sounding plant I cannot remember, something else I can't remember and certain grapes - more specifically, the skin and seeds of certain grapes.

Maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick... it seems I cannot recall many of the sticks I got hold of... I'll double check.

Thanks for bumping the other thread Jaminhealth. I commented over there, too.

Peace out,
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

From what I read, one source of resveratrol is red grape skins, not grape seeds. Here's a blurb I copied:

Resveratrol (3,4’,5-trihydroxystilbene) belongs to a class of polyphenolic compounds called stilbenes. Some types of plants produce Resveratrol and other stilbenes in response to stress, injury, fungal infection, and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. It is found in the skins of certain red grapes, in peanuts, blueberries, some pines (Scots pine, eastern white pine) and the roots and stalks of Japanese knotweed (hu zhang in China) and giant knotweed.

I think that has the "something something" words you were looking for. Anyways, I really don't think grapeseed extract is a source of resveratrol, but red grape skins are.

I also read that almost all the studies of resveratrol have been done on animals using huge amounts, or in laboratory dishes, and hardly at all on people. So it's really unknown what benefits it may have for us, or how much one would have to take to get any benefit. grrrr.... I was really hoping for something to give my poor little mitochondria a boost --- I still may give give it a try sometime --

Take care --

8. tansy

tansy New Member

plant based remedy.

Hi Mary

Thanks for posting this; I am using the Sinatra/Myhill supps to support mitochondrial function and plant based remedies to treat lyme etc.

In his Book "Healing Lyme" Stephen Buhner gives extensive information on resveratrol sourced from Japanese Knotweed.

I'd had problems with various lyme protocols but Buhner's core protocol, which includes Japanese Knotweed, was more tolerable. Now take resveratrol daily and take the andrographis in cycles.

tc, Tansy

PS There's more info on resveratrol at
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I also use the Sinatra/Myhill supps for mitochondrial function. I still crash, however, and believe it's due to mitochondrial malfunction. When I read the NIH article, I thought I might have stumbled across something important for mitochondria.

I don't think I have lyme diease; I've read about the symptoms and they don't match mine, and I did that eye test (cannot remember what it is) which came out negative.

Can you tell in what way resveratrol has helped you? e.g., more energy, or less lyme symptoms, etc.? And how much do you take, and what brand?

The Stephen Buhner book sounds interesting, even though I don't think I have lyme. So I may take a look at it. And thanks for the article link, which I will also read.

Take care --

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Unfortunately, rated Life Extension resveratrol as unacceptable - it didn't have the amount of reseveratrol as claimed on the bottle.

Country Life has a product which has resveratrol (and got a good rating from Consumerlab) and grapeseed extract and a few other things, and it's one of the cheaper ones, so may end up buying this. It's available at Swanson Vitamins on-line and elsewhere.

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I've decided it's better to be safe than sorry... I'm getting wine!

12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Good plan! I just wish I liked red wine. I much prefer white.